James Webb Information Thread!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pucker factor indeed! It'll last, at least, until it enters L2 safely. There will be no servicing missions - at least manned - maybe an AI drone?!

Fingers crossed for a successful mission.

I sure have been jealous of "Jason"s recently! I like your tag line: "I consume RocketPoxy faster than E9's consume rockets." 🤣

Very, very cool! Here's hoping for a perfect trip to L2 and perfect deployment - not much recourse if things go sideways... boy, those mirrors, the perfection of that polish is unreal.

They have a sample mirror at NASA GSFC in the visitor center if you are in the area. Very nice. Isogrid backing for weight loss as well. I visited there a couple of years back.

We had one of those mirrors in the lobby of the building I worked at. The mirror faced the entry door to the building. At the time, I was coming in to work very early - while it was still dark outside - and I was half awake. The way the mirror is constructed, if you position yourself in the right place, it can look like it's projecting a reflection in front of the mirror. I walked in and saw a black dot about face height and instinctively ducked to avoid the spider that had dropped from the ceiling right in front of my face. I don't know if that happened to anyone else, but it happened twice to me.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/peering-edge-universe-095509002.html
One of the questions asked in the article is; "What will it see".

(Spoiler Alert)

In Jack McDevitt's novel The Hercules Text a powerful space telescope is deployed and it views to the edge of the universe where it observes a Quasar.
Turned the other way, it observes that same Quasar, the telescope being capable of "Seeing" around the entire curvature of the universe.

Wouldn't that be a hoot?

Yuk. Sorry to hear about the most recent issue. I hope 100% of manned flights always succeed and this one is the current second I hope to succeed, as it has been such a big project and can provide such cool science. I wish it were flown on an American rocket, but understand that sometimes things don't go the way I wish they did.

Looking forward to a perfect launch and entry into service!

Sandy.

I wish it were flown on an American rocket, (...)

There are two big reasons for using the Ariane 5:

1. The massive fairing is one of the few that can physically fit the JWST.

2. ESA is providing the launch basically for free in exchange for their scientists getting time on the telescope.

I had the most awesome daydream today, while Cooking some long duration dishes. My sis's have my oven scheduled thru thursday morning. lol.
So how much trouble would you get in for c

Hopefully no more snafus and it can shed the "telescope that ate astronomy" moniker. A huge number of pucker factors, especially when breaking the Carl Sagan rule of always have a backup. Looking forward to some good science.

Back