James Webb Information Thread!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They sure don’t want to overuse the motor and/or take a chance and overheat/burn it out. I wonder too if the solar panel isn’t really big enough to keep up with power consumption.

From NASA's media briefing on Webb via Twitter:

NASA's Bill Ochs says Webb will begin tensioning Layer 1 (of 5) for its sunshield today. It will take about 2-3 days.

NASA's Amy Loeb says Webb's factory presets for its solar arrays turned out not to be the best settings for the telescope in space. They rebalanced the array for actual conditions on Saturday, she says. 'Everything is green and nominal' now.

Loeb also says NASA repositioned Webb this weekend to make sure its motors could stay cool enough for operation. They were running a bit hot, she says, but 'everything's hunky dory now' after repointing Webb into a position that would keep them cooler.

Here's why the McAuliffe Center says we should all watch the Webb telescope closely

Because it is really a death ray!

A DEATH RAY!!!

Along with "Thingamajig", "Whatchamacallit" and "Smidgin".

Yep - at work we often have to use the Thingamajig to tighten the Whatchamacallit, just a smidgen, to get things all Hunky Dory

The difficult part was if we ever needed to find the left handed Thingamajig..........

Yep - at work we often have to use the Thingamajig to tighten the Whatchamacallit, just a smidgen, to get things all Hunky Dory

The difficult part was if we ever needed to find the left handed Thingamajig..........
You're doing it the hard way. I just use a DooHickey.
Gets things peachy keen.
Easy peasy.
EDIT: Fliskits Thing-A-Ma-Jig, Whatchamacallit, and Doo Hickey.
The right tool for the right job.
Heh.
0103221426[1].jpg

Last edited:
All right you characters, now stop using these highly technical and possibly classified terms in such a casual, thoughtless fashion! What if some newbie comes in here and runs into a safety issue because they couldn't tell we were just horsing around?

(Amy Lo is my new heroine!)

I wonder to what degree that sunshade will act as a "Light-sail"?

I realize that it is relatively small when compared to the Webb Telescope, but it will be out there for years and these things add-up.

From Twitter @Spaceflight Now

The Webb telescope’s secondary mirror is confirmed deployed & latched. "Another banner day for JWST,” says Bill Ochs, NASA’s Webb project manager. “We’re about 600,000 miles from Earth, and we actually have a telescope. So congratulations to everybody.”

NASA Webb Telescope
@NASAWebb

Secondary mirror deployed! But there's little time to pause and reflect. Teams will ensure
@NASAWebb's tripod structure is latched before beginning its final major milestone this week: full deployment of the space telescope's honeycomb-shaped primary mirror.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FIWeLSLXMAk9OlV?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

FIWeLSLXMAk9OlV

In a previous interview I remember one of the NASA folk saying that if a segment "sticks" and doesn't fully deploy they can shake the whole telescope and try to "unstick" it.
Wonder what the hardware for that is? I've seen no other mention of it so far.

In a previous interview I remember one of the NASA folk saying that if a segment "sticks" and doesn't fully deploy they can shake the whole telescope and try to "unstick" it.
Wonder what the hardware for that is? I've seen no other mention of it so far.

Shaking typically involves spinning a mass around an off-centered axis. Solar charge those batteries and shake forever if needed.

The odds are 50/50 this thing is going to work . . . but I give that a 10% chance at best.

Latest posts

Back