Jack Skelerom (LOC Onyx)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattieShoes

Reaction score
My sister recently returned from Korea where she taught English for six months. She brought back a gift in lovely handmade paper with Korean lettering... Inside was an 89 cent surgical mask for kids with a picture of Jack Skellington... Only the mask read "Jack Skelerom"

Engrish!

Apparently lots of Koreans wear them in public -- mass fear over H1N1 I suppose. The adults wear typical disposable ones but the kids ones have characters on them like this.

021.jpg

Last edited:
I happened to get an LOC Onyx kit about the same time, and I wanted to experiment and have fun building it, so Jack Skelerom the rocket was born.

014.jpg

015.jpg

016.jpg

I used thin woodglue to glue the paper to the body tube, with cutouts where the fins and launch lug go.

The fins themselves were painted white, masked, then the edges were painted black.

The fins were attached with epoxy and epoxy rivets.

After attaching the fins, I used a bit of extra paper to cover up the bare body tube around the fins.

The decals are some sort of avery "clear" full page label paper than I ran through a laser printer, only the paper is more translucent than clear. Not a problem in this case, but... :)

019.jpg

Last edited:
The motor is retained using what I guess are kaplow clips... A couple T-nuts, a couple screen clips, and a couple screws.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 27
The nosecone was painted white, then random stickers were applied, then painted black, then the stickers were removed.

Anyway, any questions, comments, suggestions, criticism, or whatever is welcome :)

020.jpg

I really like your paint job! Pretty original and unique.

Apparently lots of Koreans wear them in public -- mass fear over H1N1 I suppose. The adults wear typical disposable ones but the kids ones have characters on them like this.

Wearing a mask when you're sick is simply part of their culture (and a few other cultures). It's a curteousy to those they come in contact with, to ensure they don't get others sick.

It's not out of mass fear, it's actually quite polite.

Wearing a mask when you're sick is simply part of their culture (and a few other cultures). It's a curteousy to those they come in contact with, to ensure they don't get others sick.

It's not out of mass fear, it's actually quite polite.

I thought maybe they were trying to be like Jacko, but maybe it was the other way around.

Cool paint scheme.

Hmm, I was under the impression that HEALTHY people wear them prophylactically... But I haven't been there, maybe I misunderstood. Sick people wearing them in public makes perfect sense -- I wish they'd do that here.

The white paint wasn't very glossy so I tried out the pledge future shine stuff on it (first time). I think the white got glossier, but the black is so glossy it looks wet now, so they still have different gloss! arg!

Has anybody else flown an Onyx? It came with a dinky 12" chute which seems too small - I was considering swapping it out for a 18" chute...

Last edited:
Incidentally, I replaced the stock chute with a 18" nylon one, and it came down at a reasonable rate... Though it still popped a fin. Already glued back on, good as new! :)

Back