J180T C-Slot igniter placement?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FredA

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Long story:

About 5 years ago, I built a "park flyer" for our local, small-field launch.
It's a Mini-Mag with a 54mm hole.
I loaded it with a motor (motor-eject) and took it to the field to launch RTF.
When I got there, I found the launch queue way too deep for my allotted attendance time so I bailed.
The rocket sat in my garage, RTF, for the approximate 5 years.

We had a pickup launch this weekend and while packing I pulled it out and figured it was time to get this thing flown.
Over the years, I had forgotten what motor was installed.
It was 54mm and had a medusa nozzle with the center plus 3 outer holes open.
I grabbed the rocket and a First-Fire and went to launch it.
When it became time to install the igniter, I couldn't using any holes. It wouldn't go in.

I had to take it off the pad and back to camp so I could undo the retention and get the motor out and see what was going on.
It was then that I discovered I was using a J180T C-Slot motor and none of the nozzles were exposing the slot.
So I rotated the nozzle a bit to line up an outer hole with the slot and re-assembled.
I then could feed the First-Fire down the OUTER HOLE into the slot.

At the pad, I tied the wire to the pad so it would help pull it out if it wasn't already spit out.
But I did worry about using the outer hole instead of the middle.
I didn't have the instructions so I went with my gut figuring a nozzle obstruction is the same everywhere as far as "plugged area" and the impact on Kn is concerned.
But what did give me slight concern was that the plugging was none-uniform across the nozzle and was primarily under the flow of the slot.
Until the wire cleared, this would cause the flow to "zig" sideways across the [non-existent] convergence-cone of the medusa before escaping out the center.

Of course, I didn't think of all this until I was walking to the pad.
I convinced myself that it would be OK - probably aided by the fact that it was 100 degrees out and I wanted to be up-and-back ASAP and going back to camp a second time to get the igniter out and fished into the slot from the center hole was going to take more time in the heat.

The flight was fine - it was OK.

The POINT of this all: What is the proper insertion for slot motor with a medusa nozzle? Is it OK to routinely use the outer holes, or did I get lucky?

Only medusa nozzle I've used was the J415W and since its a BATES, I used the center. I don't think it should matter since all the nozzle openings share the same combustion chamber and the igniter should be spit out fairly quickly.

Glad the flight was good, the instructions say put it the starter in the center hole. I have flown the J180, J90 and J135, and put a piece of tape on the closure where the slot is. The J90 only has the center hole open. At the pad, put the starter in the center hole and angle toward the slot. Curve the igniter if needed to hit the slot. If you use AT starters I don’t think it’s likely that plugging would be a problem no matter what you do.

Last edited:
I use both Medusa and regular nozzles in Aerotech hardware. Many of my motors are D grains and Aerotech long burn motors are slotted. When assembling the Aerotech slotted motor, the nozzle end has a ramp leading into the slot. This will allow the starter inserted into the center nozzle to slide into the slot. If the grain is inserted backwards, the slot will be shallow and be difficult to find. https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/c...nstructions/54mm/54_852-1706tl_in_20071-1.pdf

Hmm....was un-aware of the ramp. Maybe I built it wrong.
I don't fly commercial very much so could easily have missed this detail.

interesting

i flew a J90 for my cert-2 back in 1999. it too is a C-slot and uses the same case, however, it only uses the center port of the medusa. dont remember having any issues inserting the igniter.

happy your flight went well. as i was reading i was anticipating a less than desirable outcome.

I flew 1 last weekend! I used the center hole with a dipped igniter.
They are a bit tricky to find that slot sometimes.

Attachments

• PMLEndeavorJ180.JPG
    PMLEndeavorJ180.JPG
    221.4 KB · Views: 23
Now I know -- I think I do have another one sitting around so I'll hopefully do it right for that one.
Glad it worked out OK this time and my education wasn't punctuated with a boom.
Thanks everyone.

Back