It's Worth Repeating... The Estes Bring Back Wishlist...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As one of the people asking for a space shuttle bring-back, I basically agree. A crappy shuttle kit is still better than no shuttle kit. I'd be happier if they improved it.

I don't buy into the idea that size is the problem, though. A BT60 based 1:200 scale kit would be good it it's done well, or a 1:150 BT70 kit. I never understood where the 1:162 scale came from, it doesn't really make any of the parts an obviously good size.
The 1/162 came from using the Centuri 2.04" tube for the ET, and IIRC Centuri #8 tubes for the SRB's.

To me, a crappy kit is always a crappy kit. That is why I never bought one or built one, and nobody could pay me to build one either (Mary Roberts once asked me to, to give to an astronaut. She assumed I'd built that kit, knowing my own shuttle interest). But I've made MANY scratchbuilt over the years.

So, ask for a bigger better bring-back, not bring back something crappy.

Yes they are very nice, the entire kit is, a heavier BT would have been better, but still nice
Those plastic Nike Smoke fins were such a great way to cheat into scale fins. (I have one because I'm still intimidated by shaping scale airfoils.)

What I want is Parts.

All NCs available as a part.
Clear fin cans available as a part.
Other things I can't think of now available as a part.

^^^ So very much this. Really just the NCs, as there are tubes and couplers available in all the sizes, and I wouldn't scratch build a rocket the way Estes kits rockets. It would be cool to be able to buy the 3-inch NCs (DBRM and Doorknob/Big Daddy) stand-alone. Or to make my own selection of nose cones, without having to buy three or four I don't want and will never use, just to pay too much for the one I want. Especially if I want to buy two or three of that one.

^^^ So very much this. Really just the NCs, as there are tubes and couplers available in all the sizes, and I wouldn't scratch build a rocket the way Estes kits rockets. It would be cool to be able to buy the 3-inch NCs (DBRM and Doorknob/Big Daddy) stand-alone. Or to make my own selection of nose cones, without having to buy three or four I don't want and will never use, just to pay too much for the one I want. Especially if I want to buy two or three of that one.

If they would sell me the transparent fin can from the Magnum Load wholesale we'd have a semi scale Black Arrow kit available. Just sayin...

DSCF8919.JPG

As I ALWAYS say...
LTV Scout, LTV Scout, LTV SCOUT!!!!!

Too many weird parts and tube sizes to clone easily. Maybe with a 24mm mount this time, although the slow, semi-realistic flight on the C6 was pretty awesome.

As a bonus, sell the decal sheet as a stand alone.

View attachment 549005
I second this ! Parts from this were used on the Studio Galactica model. I have stl's of the parts, but would be nice to have original parts.

What I want is Parts.

All NCs available as a part.
Clear fin cans available as a part.
Other things I can't think of now available as a part.
Well, I'd like to see all of the old balsa nose cones and transitions become available.

Since they absorbed Centuri: the BT-56 and fin-can and PNC, the Orion, Alien Scout ship, FantasyFleet, and Super Fleet. Since they also absorbed Cox: the 18mm partial D engine.

Since they absorbed Centuri: the BT-56 and fin-can and PNC

The oldest and most-flown rocket in my possession is an Estes Longshot #2128, but the body tubes are getting tired and I really wish Estes would do a re-issue. I was lucky enough to get a new Longshot kit from Launch Lab Rocketry this year, going to upgrade it with 29mm motor mounts in both stages.

I agree re the 1340 fin can and and nosecone, as well as generally paying tribute to the Centuri/Enerjet history. So, a (proper ST13) Phoenix Bird and Argos.

Same goes for the old twin engine BT-70 Gemini Titan, with the horrible balsa Gemini capsule you had to carve the windows out of, incredibly hard to get to look half close to "right". And the pieces of clear plastic that were a PITA to try to glue together to make the slip-on fin unit. And yes, I did have that kit, and yes mine sucked.
I had one and still have it. When I get around to it I'll install a new shock cord and fly it again. I agree about the fins and I didn't build mine with fins. I decided to change it up and just built it as a sport model. I use a slightly different nose cone and made balsa trapezoidal fins, painted it black body and silver fins.

They should put out a new edition of TR10/TIR-100 with charts for all of their current motors, based on certified motor data.

My bring-back wish for Estes is rather modest - I’d like to see a return of the Mini Brutes. I know, they’re fairly easy to clone but with so many other projects on my list it’d be nice to just order a set of Mini Brute kits for some quick, nostalgia builds of rockets I can fly in the park 😎
I hated it when the mini Der Red Max disappeared. I have one left on my rocket project rack.

star wars GIF

Strange, I usually get all of Estes' emails, but I didn't get this survey. Does anyone know what kits they are considering bringing back?

Strange, I usually get all of Estes' emails, but I didn't get this survey. Does anyone know what kits they are considering bringing back?
There are 15 kits to choose from. The survey is to pick your choices by which you want to see re-released 1 being the most desired and 15 your least. I can't remember all 15, but they were kits we have all been wishing for. Some of the choices are:

Space Shuttle (full stack, I believe)
Mercury Atlas
Gemini Titan
Mars Lander
Little Joe II
X-Ray
Omega (I think)
LTV Scout
Super Vega
PSII Levithan
PSII Partizon
PSII Ventris.
Those are all that I can think of off the top of my head.

Remembered a couple more:

Vagabond
BSG Viper

Last edited:
Back