Its snowing in VA!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's nice and 75F here in San Diego. :)

I'm going to a rocket launch in Los Angeles on Sunday. Temp may get up to 80F. :eek:

I need to go check my car air conditioner. :D
Hang in there, Bob -- you'll get through it OK. Just keep a level head, and don't panic. :p

MarkII

You have to love "Global Warming".

Here in Northern NJ we have about 2" maybe less.

JD
Weather vs. climate. They are not the same thing.

Weather is in constant flux and local weather conditions are very fleeting. Climate is a long-term condition, independent of short-term weather events. The Nor'easter that is pummeling the Eastern Seaboard of the US right now is a weather event. Global warming is a climate condition. Two different things. The snow will all be gone from DC, Virginia and Maryland in a few weeks, if not sooner. Ten years from now, the Earth's climate will still be getting warmer at a dramatic, unprecedented rate.

MarkII

What a day! up to about 15" and its still snowing. burned 2 gallons of gas today. And make $50 snowblowing (making alot more tomorrow, 5 people said come back tomorrow and wait for it to stop) all in all not bad. And I have officially done something my lighter counterparts cant. Rode out a wheelie for about 75 feet in snow! They just can't get the weight ballanced out on the ATV. I CAN! haha :)

Ben

I still wanna bear.
Young bears, like the one in the picture, can be quite cute. There are plenty of others like him all over the Siberian forest and the Kamchatka Peninsula. Go over and help yourself. One thing to keep in mind, though: they are quite renowned for their ferocity. Good luck. :roll:

Russian circuses almost always feature trained bears, so apparently they can be tamed to some extent. Of course, since they are not domesticated, you are never completely safe when you are around them. They can be docile and take commands from you for years, and still one day they can turn on you and rip you to pieces. But that's a minor matter. ;) If you go walking around the city with one of these fellows on a leash, you can be assured that absolutely no one will mess with you. :D

"OK, Maxim....атаковать!"

bear-small.jpg

MarkII

P. S. But perhaps, instead, you mean this....?

Last edited:
No doubt...... I was stationed up at K.I. Sawyer in the early 90`s. Being from the south I figured we'd be stuck indoors all winter. Not the case. I found out those Uppers had been living up there for like 400 years and knew how to plow roads and such..... Not one time did I get "snowed in".
In 1993 we "launched the fleet" on an ORI and it had already been snowing for about 4-5 hrs. Buy the time we go the 12 B-52's and 8 KC-135s back after 8 or 10 hour missions, the base had gotten about 12 or so inches. That is not an "even one foot of snow on the ground", it's more like 4 or 5 feet! It was snowing so hard they couldn't clear the runway. We got called out of the stack and told to land because we had a solid rep as a good crew (we were the best but don't want to sound pretentious :rolleyes: ) and the leadership knew we could handle the snow. Once the wheels touched down it got real ugly real fast. We were on a two mile long sheet of ice. The plane was all over the place. The maintenance Chief said he thought we were in the infield so he rousted his crews to scramble out to the runway, but we got it stopped between the little saplings they used to mark the edges of the runway. It got real surreal when we stopped. We parked the plane straight ahead on the runway and downloaded to a bus that was following a huge snowplow. The E-Dub busted his a$$ when he jumped down from the jet and we had to carry him off. When we got on the bus, I looked back and could see the B-52 slowly sliding to the side of the runway in the wind......... The one positive thing that happened was the Ops Officer got fired for asking us to land anyway. The rest of the jets diverted.

I just moved from VA (Maryland really) and it hasn't snowed much up there for the last few years. If this is a good one, they will go nuts up there.. :)

Holy mackeral man that is one cool story :) This is why I lke this place:)
Thanks
Fred

Ten years from now, the Earth's climate will still be getting warmer at a dramatic, unprecedented rate.

MarkII

Actually it's probably not. Some of the recent data shows that there has been no significant increase in global temperature over the last 10 years. There is also evidence showing up that the CO2 levels increase because of the warming, not causing the warming.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/05/02/a_tale_of_two_thermometers/

This site shows graphs put out by NASA in 1999 and in 2007. Both graphs cover the same data, but the 2007 version has been "reworked" to show more temp increase. "Looking at the NASA website, we can see that the person in charge of the temperature data is the eminent Dr. James Hansen - Al Gore's science advisor and the world's leading long-term advocate of global warming." Goddard (2008). This was even before the whole email/data falsification scam in England over the last month or so.

I won't say the globe isn't warming, but I also won't say it isn't a natural cycle. Global warming is a political issue and the politics that fund the science is affecting the "scientific" output. Is there global warming, isn't there, are we getting hotter or colder, is man affecting the climate or not? Unfortunately none of the scientific community can exist without the funding from politically controlled organizations. It may take the historians to find out what really happened.

Young bears, like the one in the picture, can be quite cute. There are plenty of others like him all over the Siberian forest and the Kamchatka Peninsula. Go over and help yourself. One thing to keep in mind, though: they are quite renowned for their ferocity. Good luck. :roll:

bear-small.jpg

MarkII

P. S. But perhaps, instead, you mean this....?

Well... Pooh bit me tonight and he weighs just over 3 pounds... How much worse can a bear bite be over a ferret bite???:D

Last edited:
So far, I am loving the 2009 Vermont winter :)

We tied the latest measurable snowfall in the Champlain Valley area in early December and there is only about an inch on the ground, less in some places. Forecast has none coming either, at least as of yesterday. I am one happy camper! We had our club launch today and it was cold, at 22 degrees, but bright sun and light wind. Great day to fly.

Yes, most other Vermonters hate me :D

Well... Pooh bit me tonight and he weighs just over 3 pounds... How much worse can a bear bite be over a ferret bite???:D
Would you really want to find out? :y:

I hope that he didn't draw any blood when he bit you; something tells me that once he tastes your blood, it might not be too good for your relationship...

I have two cats (I know, I know..). I wonder how they would react if I brought a ferret into the house? Or a Siberian bear, for that matter.

MarkII

Had 12" at 4pm in south suburbs of Phili, there was several more inches when I went to shovel at 730. and it's still coming down. We got about a half inch in the hour it took me to get things cleared out. It's supposed to let up by 600 am tomorrow but will see. It was fun to have my 18 month old out in it for a little bit he didn't quite know what to do. 2 years in Florida will make you forget how much work shoveling snow can be. Especially when shoveling involves helping the post man live up to "neither snow nor rain nor dark of night shall stop the mail"

I won't say the globe isn't warming, but I also won't say it isn't a natural cycle. Global warming is a political issue and the politics that fund the science is affecting the "scientific" output. Is there global warming, isn't there, are we getting hotter or colder, is man affecting the climate or not? Unfortunately none of the scientific community can exist without the funding from politically controlled organizations. It may take the historians to find out what really happened.
No amount of logic or evidence can refute a good conspiracy theory, so I'm not even going to try.

MarkII

No amount of logic or evidence can refute a good conspiracy theory, so I'm not even going to try.

MarkII

That's exactly my point. There are so many theories out there and so many "reasons" for each theory. Some people will beleive that we are heating up the planet and we're all going to die. Some beleive the planet isn't heating at all and everything will go along the way it's been. I think reality is somewhere in between.

I don't know if man has done enough to affect climate or if we can do anything in the future that will affect it, but there's lots a ways to pollute the planet and "greenhouse" gases are just one. Anything we do to cut down the pollution we create is a good thing, no matter the driver behind it.

That's exactly my point. There are so many theories out there and so many "reasons" for each theory. Some people will beleive that we are heating up the planet and we're all going to die. Some beleive the planet isn't heating at all and everything will go along the way it's been. I think reality is somewhere in between.

I don't know if man has done enough to affect climate or if we can do anything in the future that will affect it, but there's lots a ways to pollute the planet and "greenhouse" gases are just one. Anything we do to cut down the pollution we create is a good thing, no matter the driver behind it.

"He didn't lie down. They never lie down" River Tam

Day 3 working for the Highway Department in NJ. 17 more hours to go and we might get to go home. 2 foot

Most living things "pollute". Bonding carbon to oxygen is what we do.

... My Initiator says we got about 20 inches.

Last edited:
Two adult males, 1 1/2 hours, and 50ft of driveway is clear.

I haven't shoveled that much snow since I was a teenager in Wisconsin and shoveling the driveway was my "job".

The 20" has settled to 16" already.

Two adults, three hours, 500' of driveway, 12-24" of snow == not done yet :rolleyes: We parked the pickup truck 1/2 down the driveway, on top of the hill, and we got it to the end of the driveway, which is now clear. I'm gonna wuss out and have somebody do the rest. If Lewis can't do it we'll call our buddy Stan "4th cousin, no brains" Einstein to do it.

I have to tell you the horses have been *angry* about this storm. :impatient: They like the usual 4" storms. They go out and roll and make snow angels. But they've decided this 2' stuff is for the birds. :snowflake:

Agreed. :cheers:

MarkII

Most living things "pollute". Bonding carbon to oxygen is what we do.

... My Initiator says we got about 20 inches.
This digression started because I wanted to point out the difference between "weather" and "climate." Can we all just agree that these terms refer to two different things, and leave it at that?

Weather
Climate

MarkII

Two adults, three hours, 500' of driveway, 12-24" of snow == not done yet :rolleyes: We parked the pickup truck 1/2 down the driveway, on top of the hill, and we got it to the end of the driveway, which is now clear. I'm gonna wuss out and have somebody do the rest. If Lewis can't do it we'll call our buddy Stan "4th cousin, no brains" Einstein to do it.

I have to tell you the horses have been *angry* about this storm. :impatient: They like the usual 4" storms. They go out and roll and make snow angels. But they've decided this 2' stuff is for the birds. :snowflake:
I live about 300 miles inland from the Atlantic coast. We didn't see anything storm-related here at all. Just continued cold temps. (We already have ~ 1 ft./30 cm of snow on the ground.)

MarkII

Hey Ben:
I'm directly across the river from National airport. Officially they recorded 16.4" of the white stuff.
on my backyear workbench I have just a tad over 17". What a great way to spend a saturday LOL! We were supposed to have a launch:( Oh well a digging we will go.

It was pretty average in terms of water--0.68 inches melted down. A bit on the fluffy side--we got 8 inches of snow--no problem with a 22 inch wide 2 stage snowblower--clean down to the pavement with a single pass. Much better than the last one, which had 5 inches of snow and 1/2" of rain while I was out with the snowblower.

It was pretty average in terms of water--0.68 inches melted down. A bit on the fluffy side--we got 8 inches of snow--no problem with a 22 inch wide 2 stage snowblower--clean down to the pavement with a single pass. Much better than the last one, which had 5 inches of snow and 1/2" of rain while I was out with the snowblower.

oh yea! 24" wide 2 stage here. Nice Toro model my dad bought a while back. I can shoot snow about 35 feet!!

Ben

That's a "starter" model around here.

MarkII

oh I bet! I still remember getting to plow snow by myself last winter for the first time. The towns pay the youth to plow and I drove a 4430 with a blade for all of 20 miles straight then turned around and came back. moved about 2-3 feet of snow. It was great. and I made like $250.

Ben

I just got finished delivering some meds to a friend of mine who is a few miles down 95... The snow is bad but the driving only really sucks because of people in cars that have no business being out in this kind of weather. My Jeep trotted along just fine... The 2WD vehicles with chicken poop drivers behind the wheel were a pain in the butt! The snow on the roof of my Civic is 12" now and its still snowing like crazy.

Honestly, I've seen far more people in their 4wd SUVs in the ditch than Civics (and plenty of people drive various small, 2wd cars in the snow here). The biggest factor is the driver (and good tires).

Honestly, I've seen far more people in their 4wd SUVs in the ditch than Civics (and plenty of people drive various small, 2wd cars in the snow here). The biggest factor is the driver (and good tires).

A couple of winters ago, AAA come out and said the best vehicle in the snow around the Washington DC area was a small to mid-sized frontwheel drive car. SUVs were not good in snow. The reasons was the weight. You can get going with the 4x4, but you can't stop.

How many people do you know have gotten in accidents because they couldn't get going fast enough? How many because they couldn't stop in time?

Back