Its official!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
The "My Own Design Summer Build Off**** contest is an annual event.
Meaning, its ON BABY!!!..https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...st-in-a-quot-My-Own-Design-quot-build-contest
Basically the same rules, couple changes, nothing to drastic.
Working on prizes and total Ns.Most didn't even care about the material prizes, more about BRAGGING RIGHTS and having FUN!!!!
I'll donate another Aerotech kit.
Main thing, don't start your build before Memorial Day.
So, put on your thinking caps and get out the glue.

Oh, I guess I'll take part in this years contest.

Stay tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in! Quarterly was too shorterly, but I've been waiting for this one :)

I'll be building and flying the Triple Deuce. If I can swing it, only two fins.

[ MILD SUSPENSE INTENSIFIES SLIGHTLY ]

Last edited:
For anyone who doesn't feel like clicking on the link, here's the rulez.

Da Rulez

General Rules

1. The "Annual TRF Summer Build-**** will start Memorial Day 2016 and end Labor Day 2016. This is open to all TRF members. To enter, simply post in the thread that you are entering into the competition.
2. The rocket must be an "original design". No "cloning" of a commercially available design. This will be judged off of a combination of an honor system and TRF member rule.
3. Each competitor may only submit ONE (1) rocket design into the competition.
4. All rockets must have at least one flight completed by AUGUST 29TH (this is 1 week before Labor Day, allows time for the poll to be put together). Proof of the flight must be shown on the forum (Picture, video, attesting by another TRF member, etc.).
5. The flight must be a safe flight, including a successful recovery, and must follow all aspects of the NAR safety code. All rockets must have a stable flight, with some sort of recovery mechanism. Airbrake and flutter recovery ARE counted as a recovery system, as long as the rocket returns with no damage.
6. No posts about the build are allowed until the start of the competition. However, design
7. To encourage more creativity in designs, a simulation file is NOT required to be posted. However, it is highly encouraged.

Impulse/Size
1. The restrictions on impulse and size are as follows:
A. the rocket must be a Class 1 model rocket not requiring Level 1 certification to launch.

This means that the rocket:
i. Uses no more than 125 grams (4.4 ounces) of propellant;
ii. Uses a slow-burning propellant;
iii. Is made of paper, wood, or breakable plastic;
iv. Contains no substantial metal parts; and
v. Weighs no more than 1,500 grams (53 ounces), including the propellant.
vi. Uses no more than 160 Newton-Seconds if the rocket contains a single motor, and no more than 320 Newton-Seconds if the rocket is a cluster or a multistage rocket.

B. The largest motor used in the rocket may be no larger than a 29mm OD.

Judging
1. All rockets will be posted in a TRF Poll or equivalent polling site. All TRF members may vote on the rockets. The rocket with the highest number of votes will be the winner. In the event of a tie, a runoff vote between the tied rockets shall determine the winner.
2. In case of a dispute, the final decision on any issues will be decided by CW Bullet and Scotty Dog.

Prizes
1. The prizes will be distributed as a "kitty box" type manner. All prizes will be placed in a pool. The first place entry gets the first choice on their prize, second place gets second choice, etc.

I'm excited to participate this year. I wasn't really able to last year. Perhaps it's just high hopes, but I should have a bit more free time this summer to work on a fun scratch build.

Also, general rule #6 in the above post seems to be cut-off.

Last edited:
Last year was great! Lots of great builds. I'm hoping I can participate this time. I'm tentative for now. I've got a lot of big stuff happening this summer - as in possibly moving back to the US. Going to be fun to follow along regardless though. Looking forward to seeing something new.

Hmm, maybe I'll come up with something to enter this year. I've been busy building stuff from my childhood and getting some contest models built, but I'm sure I can find some time during the summer to fiddle around a bit.

I'm assuming Black Brandt's post was copied and pasted from the previous year (2016); also Scotty Dog alluded to a few rules changes, but didn't identify them in his original post.

Hmm, maybe I'll come up with something to enter this year. I've been busy building stuff from my childhood and getting some contest models built, but I'm sure I can find some time during the summer to fiddle around a bit.

I'm assuming Black Brandt's post was copied and pasted from the previous year (2016); also Scotty Dog alluded to a few rules changes, but didn't identify them in his original post.
Havent finalized the changes yet.Will do before the start.

For anyone who doesn't feel like clicking on the link, here's the rulez.

Da Rulez

General Rules

1. The "Annual TRF Summer Build-**** will start Memorial Day 2016 and end Labor Day 2016. This is open to all TRF members. To enter, simply post in the thread that you are entering into the competition.
2. The rocket must be an "original design". No "cloning" of a commercially available design. This will be judged off of a combination of an honor system and TRF member rule.
3. Each competitor may only submit ONE (1) rocket design into the competition.
4. All rockets must have at least one flight completed by AUGUST 29TH (this is 1 week before Labor Day, allows time for the poll to be put together). Proof of the flight must be shown on the forum (Picture, video, attesting by another TRF member, etc.).
5. The flight must be a safe flight, including a successful recovery, and must follow all aspects of the NAR safety code. All rockets must have a stable flight, with some sort of recovery mechanism. Airbrake and flutter recovery ARE counted as a recovery system, as long as the rocket returns with no damage.
6. No posts about the build are allowed until the start of the competition. However, design
7. To encourage more creativity in designs, a simulation file is NOT required to be posted. However, it is highly encouraged.

Impulse/Size
1. The restrictions on impulse and size are as follows:
A. the rocket must be a Class 1 model rocket not requiring Level 1 certification to launch.

This means that the rocket:
i. Uses no more than 125 grams (4.4 ounces) of propellant;
ii. Uses a slow-burning propellant;
iii. Is made of paper, wood, or breakable plastic;
iv. Contains no substantial metal parts; and
v. Weighs no more than 1,500 grams (53 ounces), including the propellant.
vi. Uses no more than 160 Newton-Seconds if the rocket contains a single motor, and no more than 320 Newton-Seconds if the rocket is a cluster or a multistage rocket.

B. The largest motor used in the rocket may be no larger than a 29mm OD.

Judging
1. All rockets will be posted in a TRF Poll or equivalent polling site. All TRF members may vote on the rockets. The rocket with the highest number of votes will be the winner. In the event of a tie, a runoff vote between the tied rockets shall determine the winner.
2. In case of a dispute, the final decision on any issues will be decided by CW Bullet and Scotty Dog.

Prizes
1. The prizes will be distributed as a "kitty box" type manner. All prizes will be placed in a pool. The first place entry gets the first choice on their prize, second place gets second choice, etc.

There will be a change in the motor mount size. we are looking at a Ns limit instead of the mmt size limit.

EDIT>>PS and all that..Im thinking if we take out rule "B", anything goes (Ns and MMT size) as long as it doesn't require a Level 1 cert to fly.

I'm gonna try to think of a cool design! If we say we'll enter, but can't think of a design, is that against the rules? I will probably enter, but I can't think of a design.
Thanks,

Cool! I'm glad this happening again. I'm not sure if I will participate this year, it'll depend on how much time I can put into it. If I do, though, I've already got a design picked out - something I've been meaning to build for the last year or so. Assuming my read of the rules is correct, there's no issue with clustering 2X Estes 29mm motors? E16 has 40g propellant, F15 is 60 each.

I'm gonna try to think of a cool design! If we say we'll enter, but can't think of a design, is that against the rules? I will probably enter, but I can't think of a design.
Thanks,
Many of contest have had entrants that didn't finish their builds. No problem.

Thanks,
Many of contest have had entrants that didn't finish their builds. No problem.And please dont worry about coming up with the coolest..enter and see where the votes fall.And again, its about having fun and getting that little kick in the butt to finally making your idea into a working rocket.

I'm in. I had started on the Reuleaux Rocket and decided that a couple of things needed rethinking. Since I am starting over from scratch, I'll just wait until Memorial Day to start.

This the 1st time I have heard of this. Sound cool. Could someone last years winner to see what I am up against?

Here is the final submission for last year's winner.
[video=youtube;E3HRke8A5ow]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3HRke8A5ow[/video]

200th post!!! :)

Cool! I've been looking forward to this! I'm in though it's just for fun since I'm still a slow builder with nowhere near to fly legally...
Have a design or two in mind that I still need to work through. Hopefully I can get one built.

Last year had some really creative entries. I'm looking forward to seeing what people put together this year!

I had been looking to see if the thread regarding the voting had pictures of each finalist in one consolidated location. Although there were several places where there were links to various threads, this time I would suggest that having a final gallery of entrants of the contest so that voters can quickly reference which was which. It might make decisions easier. Just a thought.

Thanks for the idea! I'll make sure to incorporate that in the poll this year.

I just thought that I would share where MindSim is wandering right now. Here are the basic details as they stand now:
- About 30" tall with fin height between 4 and 5 "
- Cross section will be a Reuleaux triangle ( you can see two sides on the fins.)
- The airframe will, likely be skin on frame. Not sure what the skin will be yet
- 4 motor cluster (guess I really need to finish and launch my Deuce to at least get some cluster experience)
- Three 18mm tubes angled about 15 degrees (may have to adjust nose weight to get thrust vectors where they need to be.
- 18mm tubes will go through the fins
- Three fins built skin-on-frame with radial taper which also taper to a boattail of sorts which terminates at the 24mm central motor tube.

I still have some things to work out before I start cutting balsa. This is going to be a challenging project for me and I may have bit off more than I can chew but I won't know if I don't try. I present to you, the TRF community, my crude musings. This is simply a basic layout to help solidify my thoughts. You may see some faint lines beyond the R/H fin, MindSim is still working out the fin height on this one. I promise not to go beyond design and planning prior to Memorial Day but I wanted to post something and possibly sucker...I mean inspire more folks into giving this a try. I had a blast last year and I saw some beautiful work by some talented builders.
Reuleaux Rocket.png

Attachments

• Reuleaux Rocket.pdf
    109.8 KB · Views: 34
Bill, I got bored and drew your rocket. How close did I get to what you envisioned?

Capture2.JPGCapture1.JPG

Wow, that's pretty much dead on! The only difference that I see is that the trailing edge of the fin would terminate at the end of the boattail. What did you use to draw that? I have tried SketchUp but it never seem to work well for me and working out bulkheads and centering rings is going to be a bit of a trial and error proposition right now. The cross sections are invaluable!

Edit: After taking a closer look, I see that the fins do go to.the end of the boattail. I am thinking about playing with the angle of the tail just a bit so that the fin goes all the way to the motor tube. I think that your rendering is more in line with reality though and is pretty much what the final product will look like.

Last edited:
Back