It's official: Career Change and Move

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWRackers

Reaction score
Well, this has been in the works for several weeks, although the desire to do so goes back years. But now it's official... I'm taking on a new job, so after 22+ years in the Florida Panhandle I'm moving to the area of Manassas, Virginia and taking a position as a Sr. Software Engineer for a company that's big into unmanned aerial vehicles. It's definitely a step upward from my current civil service position as a "scientist", even though my work assignments for all these years have really been software engineering anyway. So why not get paid accordingly?

I'll be starting my new job on 12 March, and I've already been in contact with TRF member WillMarchant, who's a member of NOVAAR (https://www.novaar.org) in that area. I was offered the option of retaining my membership in SEARS 572 down here, so I'll eventually need to update my avatar ;) .

I'm very excited about this move, and it halves the distance I have to travel to visit my family in Greater Cincinnati. So what if I'll have to re-acclimate to winters, at least we're approaching spring at this time.

Another benefit: besides all the cool things there are to do in Northern VA and around DC, Manassas is about 20 minutes away from the site of the TARC finals.

Meanwhile I want to thank some TRFers who, through action or silence :D , help make this happen.
  • wwattles, who put me in contact with a recruiter-type person on the West Coast, who in turn found this lead for me. (Remember this thread? Not the same company though.)
  • WillMarchant, who gave me some info about the Manassas area and about NOVAAR.
  • LaneKG, tazzdevl1, mwiggins367, and revkeith, fellow SEARS 572 guys who provided moral support and bits of advice on occasion during our weekly online chats.
So, how long of a drive is it from Manassas VA to Merrimack NH? Must go harass Jim Flis in person some day.... :p

Well, its 9 hours from SW CT to Virginia, so figure add on another 4-5 hours, depending on the route.

Bob
(who will see Jim at NERRF 3)

Originally posted by WShoreRockets
Well, its 9 hours from SW CT to Virginia, so figure add on another 4-5 hours, depending on the route.

Bob
(who will see Jim at NERRF 3)
Google Earth estimates 8 hrs 37 minutes (498 miles). It was actually a rhetorical question when I asked it, but I ended up looking it up after all. So that puts Jim at about the same distance as Cincinnati. :cool:

When you see Jim, ask him about that pending merger between NERRF and BALLS. You can tell him I asked. :D

Oh crumbs, he'll probably read it here first.

COOL! Now I might get to meet you :) I am trying to meet alot of TRFers :D

thanx, Ben

Originally posted by ben
COOL! Now I might get to meet you :) I am trying to meet alot of TRFers :D

thanx, Ben

Lol ben, you sound like you're a stalker.:p ;)

Welcome to the area, Thomas! Sounds very interesting what your doing. And I look forward to meeting you at some NOVAAR event!

(of clourse, I've yet to meet everyone from Novaar...!) :)

Karl

Oh Thomas...

That places you in range for two really important events.

1) NERRF - About 5 hours. It's June 22nd and you can look for all yer forum buddies there.

2) As you said, TARC. Drop by the High Power tent and say hello.

Then, I seriously expect at least once in the next few years you come up and fly with us in CT.

Finally, make sure you make it in the fall to the first launch at Price, Md. and watch the big dogs fly. In fact Red Glare on April 22 might be something you want to investigate.

Congrats on the career move.

Al

Thomas:
Congratulations on the new job, and welcome to the neighborhood.
I look forward to meeting you at an upcoming Great Meadow launch.
-BB

Originally posted by Hospital_Rocket
Oh Thomas...

That places you in range for two really important events.

1) NERRF - About 5 hours. It's June 22nd and you can look for all yer forum buddies there.

2) As you said, TARC. Drop by the High Power tent and say hello.

Then, I seriously expect at least once in the next few years you come up and fly with us in CT.

Finally, make sure you make it in the fall to the first launch at Price, Md. and watch the big dogs fly. In fact Red Glare on April 22 might be something you want to investigate.

Congrats on the career move.

Al

I HOPE to make it to Red Glare. Thomas the 2 1/2 hour drive is worth it. I am not sure but maybe Jerry Sullivan will loft the Nike on an O :D I will have to ask Neil and jerry when they are gonna drag race again 2 O's is just spectacular! :D

thanx, Ben

Congratulations Thomas,

on the new job, hope it works out the best for you
and your family. Manassas area is one of the most beautiful
places I've seen and you got real change of seasons instead of
Floriduhhs dull green - almost green - green - not so green...

And the area is so full of history as well, lotsa hallowed ground up there (at least for a Civil War buff like me) to study and think about...

Good Luck !

Sounds like I'm gonna go nuts with all the launches within a day's drive of northern VA. We're just a tad isolated here in the Florida Panhandle (also known as The Redneck Riviera or The Armpit of the Continental United States). :p

Originally posted by TWRackers
Sounds like I'm gonna go nuts with all the launches within a day's drive of northern VA. We're just a tad isolated here in the Florida Panhandle (also known as The Redneck Riviera or The Armpit of the Continental United States). :p

lol :p Nothing against Manassas but I like my area as well. I can drive about 2 hours and be at Witakkers. 2 1/2-3 hours and be at MDRA. WALK 3/4 of a mile and be at a local club that is I and under ;) drive 1 1/2 hour and be at Culpeper VA. I am pretty centralized if I do say so myself :p

thanx, Ben

Congrats Tom. We'll miss you around here at SEARS. You have to come back and visit from time to time.

Cliff

Remember Tom,

You have to still show up for the SEARS launches.

Your 1:00 PM LCO duties are set in stone!

Tom,

Don't even think about leaving town with my motors!

It just won't be the same without Rocket Queen - oh, we'll miss you as well. See y'all at the March launch.

Originally posted by tazzdevl1
Congrats Tom. We'll miss you around here at SEARS. You have to come back and visit from time to time.

Cliff
It would help if we could get Amtrak to stop in Samson, but I think they're taking that single track out of service completely :( ; the crossing lights are now bagged.

Originally posted by mwiggins367
Remember Tom,

You have to still show up for the SEARS launches.

Your 1:00 PM LCO duties are set in stone!
Okay, that explains why I got 1:00-2:00 this month when I requested 12:00-1:00 :p .

Congratulations on your move!

The Florida panhandle is where I got my start in model rocketry
way back in 1969 (Niceville, FL). For me, it was an incredible
time...

Originally posted by revkeith
Tom,

Don't even think about leaving town with my motors!

It just won't be the same without Rocket Queen - oh, we'll miss you as well. See y'all at the March launch.
I'll have them with me at the March 3rd launch, and if for some reason you or I can't make it, I'll hand them off to Greg to deliver to you.

Y'know, I wonder if I need to warn the folks in NOVAAR about Rocket Queen, i.e. Thelma.
bwahaha.gif

NERRF BALLS?

Uh, might want to check on trademark stuff, and...stuff.

Congrats on the new job! UAV's are cool! Way cool!

Originally posted by TWRackers
Y'know, I wonder if I need to warn the folks in NOVAAR about Rocket Queen, i.e. Thelma.
bwahaha.gif
[/B]

Nah. But SHE'LL need to warn them about you!! :D

Originally posted by tazzdevl1
Nah. But SHE'LL need to warn them about you!! :D
Naaahhhh... what about man's sense of discovery?

WillMarchant, you aren't hearing any of this....

Well... today was my last day at my DoD job I've held for 22 years 5 months. I'm getting ready to shut down and load up my computer, to begin my trip from the Florida Panhandle to Manassas, Virginia. So I'll be out of touch with the internet until Saturday evening. I'm heading down to Sanford, Florida to catch the Amtrak AutoTrain tomorrow afternoon. See you all on the flip side.

have fun. Make Plans to attend the MDRA Red Glare2 launch April 20-22 ;) That can be your welcoming launch ;) :p

Back