It's Naked!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InFlight

Reaction score
Waiting for some light primer, sanding and silver paint. :D

100_0891.jpg

100_0892.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a mig-15. I like it!!!Paint it red,slap a blue star on it, welcome to Russia.Who makes it ,what is it,Is it one of yours? John

Nice lookin Mach-10! :D I built one a while ago and I lost the nose cone on mine on it's first flight:rolleyes:

I have one on my shelf, I have flown it dozens of times.

It takes a nice long loop on the way up and glides in perfect every time.

Enjoy it, its a fun rocket to fly, especially the first time. watch everyone duck and cover LOL

Are you painting it stock? mine is red and orange tiger striped!

Waiting for some light primer, sanding and silver paint. :D

Go light on the primer and paint. REALLY light! I think I'm on my fifth and my second BT-80 upscale. When they work, there's nothing better. When they don't work, they're still pretty entertaining. :D

I've built 2. They are great rockets. DON'T prime. Follow the instructions to the letter. I have a single coat of silver on mine and it works nice. Also launch at an angle as per the instructions. As said the nosecones are easily lost. The streamer tends to burn a bit and the cones come down fast and stick in the grass. I fill mine full of clay. I have not had to put much balance clay in the belly pod to get a good glide. A silly point, but remember to trim it for glide with a spent engine installed.

This is a very fun rocket. Always fun and sometimes exciting!

I just noticed you have a Balsa cone. You might want to switch to a plastic cone. You need to add A LOT of nose weight and the cone takes a beating.

Last edited:
One of the guys I fly with has a upscaled one. he made the "T" tail so it is straight during flight, and when it ejects the tail goes into the "full up" position. It flies really cool. straight up and nice glide down.

Thanks for the tips!

...I just noticed you have a Balsa cone. You might want to switch to a plastic cone. You need to add A LOT of nose weight and the cone takes a beating.
Curious, how much nose weight did you need to get it stable?

I was planning to add ballast to the base of the balsa cone. If you used more than a 1/4oz of clay than I may need to use a plastic cone as you suggested.

I just measured two cones. The empty weight of the cone is .2oz (5g). The weight filled with clay is .6oz (16g). So the higher math looks like .4oz (11g) of clay. I would use that as a minimum, I don't think more will hurt. Anyone else have any suggestions?

BTW, I never said nice job! Your Mach 10 looks very nice!

Last edited:
I just measured two cones. The empty weight of the cone is .2oz (5g). The weight filled with clay is .6oz (16g). So the higher math looks like .4oz (11g) of clay. I would use that as a minimum, I don't think more will hurt. Anyone else have any suggestions?

BTW, I never said nice job! Your Mach 10 looks very nice!

I used a two-piece cone from an Estes Wizard kit (PNC-20N) filled to the absolute limit with clay.
DO NOT let it sit in the car in the hot sun. :rolleyes:
You don't get much altitude with this bird, so the more clay, the better your boost. Best flights I had were in windy conditions.:cool:
Another tip. Coat the BT-60 tube coupler in the front of the glider with thin CA. It takes a beating and this strengthens it somewhat.
And don't try using a C5-3. Trust me on this one. ;-)

Last edited:
All very good points. Mine has also put in it's best flights on windy days.

Yes, great looking Mach-10. I have a clone Mach-10 that I purchased from Blast From the Past Rocketry in 2000. This may motivate me to finally build it. Let us know how yours flies.

Is this a new kit offering from Inflight?
Yes, look for it sometime around the end of May. I'm still working out somethings for the kit. I wont bore you with the details. lol

...Nice job! When is it going to fly?
mach7, I hope to fly it this Saturday. :D

Super slick looking Mach-10 Ray!
I've been meaning to downscale one for micros.. maybe this summer...Gotta get the shrinking machine back up and running.
Thanks Micromeister, a micro version would be cool!

Great looking model Ray!!!
Thanks Scott

Woot! As nice of a kit as your NASA Pegasus was, definitely put me down for 2!!!

Yes, look for it sometime around the end of May. I'm still working out somethings for the kit. I wont bore you with the details. lol

Took her out on Saturday and I must say I was happy with this bird.

Wife and I forgot the camera again... :bangpan:

First flight was an A8-3, straight and perfect launch but glided back in fast with no damage. Removed half of the clay from the pod... my hand tossing skills suck.

Second flight was a C6-3..... :y: ....again, straight and perfect launch. Glided for a good 40 secs and landed in some grass. I wish I had a video of this as it was a perfect flight.

100_0899.jpg

You can put me down for one as soon as they are availible.

This was another of the Centuri classics I could never get to work as a kid.

Back