It's gettin' closer to the 2004 TRF Gathering.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PAH

Reaction score
Last year at the first TRF Gathering, I introduced the Sky Dart. An unusual design modeled after one of my older competition throwing darts. When I heard TRF was going to hold the second annual TRF gathering at Whitakers, I decided to build another unique design for this event. Since April is just around the corner I figured it was time to start showing the construction progress. The RamJet was inspired by one of my favorite spy planes, the SR-71 Blackbird.
At this point in time I have all the components cut and ready to assemble. The web page below shows all the major components of the RamJet and a dry fitting so you get a good feel of what the overall project is going to look like when completed. Now I just need to find the time to do it.

https://www.paulsrockets.com/fleet/ramjet.htm

Paul

Looks good PAH! You also going to have your bowling pin rocket done?

Paul, that looks REALLY cool! Are those air flow channels going to be actually functional? If so, I can't wait to see what effect it will have on the exhaust flame!

Phil,
I can't wait to see the finished deal myself. I have a 3-D rendering from RockSim and a few sketches with some of the finer details, but you never really know exactly what it's going to look like until it's done.

Dick,
The Ten Pin just needs the fins bonded in place and a few coats of paint. So far finding a bonding agent for the clear fins has been the hold up. Epoxy and MEK didn't stick to the fins. I'm going to try some J-B WELD next. I'm willing to bet that'll hold em'. I hope to have it completed for the March launch.

Mark,
The air flow channel is functional. The outer 4" airframe is open at both ends allowing air to pass through. Now that you said something I would love to run this design in a fluid dynamics program to see what effects are produced. My original thought was the outer airframe would act as a long ring fin. I also thought the boat-tail would create a slight vacuum in the outer airframe, drawing air through the outer airframe at a greater velocity. I don't know what effect that would have on the exhaust plume. Should be an interesting maiden flight.

Paul

Back