It's About Time... Airwolf 1/18th Scale (GI Joe Scale).

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
If you're like me and grew up in the 1980s, you loved the show, and the helicopter was something you'd drool over. I mean... Yeah, I had my Airwolf poster on the wall.

If I had one of these, you know I'd be investing in a vacuum former and trying to adapt it into a RC heli.

I built a .60 size heli of this, must have been 30 years ago. Looking for pics. But check out the Trex line of helis. They make several sizes of this.

I think RC vehicles and rockets, scaled to host playable action figures with TV, comic and movie storylines, could disrupt the toy industry. I spent last year "smurfing" around with this as an amateur with a simple vehicle and pre-school level characters, but with more complex vehicles (like G.I. Joe's) and 6-12 y.o. plots, I think it would bite. Professional fiction writers and toy engineers with real production capabilities could do wonders.

To me, being a kid that played with the original issue, GI Joe scale is 1/6, giving a 12” action figure. The 1/18 scale (4” tall) of the newer action figures is a little small for most RC aircraft, but I did use one in a smallish Su-34 EDF jet model. A little undersize, but looked good in the cockpit.

A fair number of RC folks fly 1/6 scale aircraft and use these action figures for pilots. I have 2-3 models in this scale with this type of pilot. I picked a couple of the George W. Bush 1/6 figures in US Navy flight gear from his S-3 Viking flight at a very good price years ago.

With his helmet on, you can’t tell who it is…;)

Recently saw an Airwolf RC heli at a fly in. Almost a vintage model these days…;)

Last edited:
There was a Gemini rocket kit scaled to the same scale as the 12" tall G.I. Joe The capsule even had a working hatch to allow you to put the action figure inside. There was a thread here about it many moons ago. Don't know if it was before the big crash or after.

Back