It's a small (BOMARC) world.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NUBlackshirts

Reaction score
I was shooting the breeze with my boss at work today. The topic shifted to our military stories, at it usually does. My boss starts in about when he was stationed at McGuire AFB, NJ. He was security police assigned to guard the BOMARCs. My jaw dropped. I told him I had just purchased a 1/24 BOMARC kit a couple of days ago. We ended up talking about his tour at McGuire for about an hour. We found this site with pics of how it looks today. He showed me what all the different buildings were for. He also told me about the time (during his shift) one of the BOMARCs went into launch mode due to a malfunction and was shut down 5 seconds to launch! Now I need to get the BOMARC built!!!

Here's the site we found....

https://www.radomes.org/museum/recent/McGuireAFBBOMARCNJ.html

Those pictures gave me goosebumps. I guess looking at those photos it's strange and odd to think that at one time that grass was probably manicured, the buildings painted, and inhabited by other people "just living out their lives." It's so strange to me to see the emptiness there. I bet the empty areas of the images are filled by the minds of those whom have fond or bad memories. So strange it is.

That is such a great shot! You can just feel the energy being released. Makes me want to leave work early and go work on mine :D

Yeah, my boss said he went back to NJ a couple of years ago to visit his relatives. While he was there he stopped by the base. He said how surprised he was at how much was still intact, especially the launch arms. It was interesting loooking at the pictures and having him tell stories about the different buildings and what they were used for.

Seeing the old "Cold War" installation made me pay a visit to a buddy of mine that just retired.

He bought and just moved into his boyhood home.

His dad was a little parinoid in the 60's and now...just for nostagia...we are refurbishing the only usable "Fallout Shelter" in our county.

He built it just before the Cuban missle crisis!

sandman

Back