It's' a sad day... Mitchell Pines loses his battle with pancreatic cancer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnly

Reaction score
It’s is with deep sadness I pass on the news that Mitch Pines has passed away. I had no prior knowledge of that Mitch was battling an aggressive cancer, so this news came as quite a shock to me this morning.

Our paths crossed many times at TARC and other East Coast NAR events, and Mitch was always willing to lend a hand and share his decades of rocketry experience. Please keep Mitch’s family in your thoughts and prayers, and remember the good will he shared and continue to do so in his memory.

John

Sent: Sunday, January 27, 2013 9:32 AM
To: Pat Gordzelik; John Lyngdal
Subject: Fwd: Mitchell Pines

FYI. Please circulate as you see fit.

--tc

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sunday, January 27, 2013
Subject: Mitchell Pines
To: [email protected]
It is with great sadness that I am informing you That Mitchell S Pines NAR 3933 passed away yesterday from complications of pancreatic cancer. He was 64 years old. He was a professor at NYU Dental School (a professor of Dental Materials). He freely gave of his spare time to help the people of Tanzania through sponsorship from Henry Schein in bringing dental care to the poor of that country. He is survived by his mother, two brothers, two children and grandson.
Mitchell was active in the TARC program and Level III committee, even during his chemo and radiation. He participated here on Long Island actively helping the next generation of scientists engineers and rocket enthusiasts pursue their dreams and aspirations.
I first met Mitchell at NARAM-5 and subsequently joined his NAR Section (North Shore Section) one of the earliest sections after G. Harry Stine's group. The group included such famous members such as Gordon Mandell who's MIT article on the stability of rockets CG/CP is still used today even in the professional industry, Paul Hans whose company helped Aerotech get off the ground and many others.
During the first Gemini program flights he supplied NBC news with a scale model of the Gemini Titan vehicle.
Mitchell will be greatly missed
Please publish this in the next issue of the magazine
Richard B. Morrow
NAR 3575

... (Mitchell S Pines) freely gave of his spare time to help the people of Tanzania through sponsorship from Henry Schein in bringing dental care to the poor of that country...

Hero.

He co-authored a book on Sounding Rockets.
It actually contains scans of the de-classified drawlings.
"Small sounding rockets"
: A historical review of meteorological systems 1955 to 1973
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0967410606/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

He was a member of the LIARS (Long Island Rocket Society)
He would stop by METRA launches from time to time and would offer to RSO when needed.

It is sad to see him go, I spoke to him over the years at various launches.
He did have a twin brother named Jay, I do believe?

JD

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a great guy, always willing to help, never a bad word to say about anybody or anything. 64 is way too young to be gone. Sigh . . . .

Oh, DAMN, DAMN, DAMN.

Mitch was a fellow member of LIARS, Long Island's high power section. He also kept the North Shore Section registered and did some low power launches in Nassau County now and then. He often brought his son to launches.

I remember being blown away by Mitch's collection of OLD model rocketry stuff. Coaster catalogs (and models!), a 1962 Estes catalog, a letter from Verne Estes. Before the Internet got its legs you didn't see things like this very often.

I pretty much lost touch with Mitch (and Rich Morrow and the other LIARS) after I moved to Silicon Valley.

Again, Damn. At least his kids were grown and he got a chance to see a grandkid.

Back