Quantcast

"Itchy" - a Wildman 5" Gizmo build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

HHaase

Siegecraft Electronics
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
I picked this kit up a few years back on a Black Friday special, and was super excited to get it too! Then it's just been sitting ever since. I think I was intimidated by it for some reason, either that or I just wasn't sure how I wanted to build it. Good news for you guys.... I figured out what I want to do! So I picked up a few more pieces and I'm ready to get going.

As with any Wildman kit, it's a bare-bones purchase. Body tube, fins, centering rings, motor tube, nose cone, and coupler. That's all. The parachute, switch bands, aeropack retainer, and bulkheads were all separate pieces. Nice thing though is that the fins came pre-beveled on the leading edge. Score! Chute is a 60" LOC that came with my mega-magg kit, but that's just an assumption for now that it's the right size. Quite a lot to sort out still on the design.

The name "Itchy" came from how my arms are feeling right now. As I dug around my parts boxes and various stashes I couldn't find a couple pieces to get the photo together. I hadn't even washed anything yet, and it's fiberglass, so now my arms really really itch. Oops.

I have a basic idea of what Head End Deployment is. Which is the extent of my plan, and the reason behind the centering ring and bulkheads. I'll figure out the rest as I go. I do know that closing off the coupler is going to limit me to a 2-grain 54mm motor and I'm ok with that. I've got other rockets for big motors and higher altitudes.

gizmo-001.JPG

bobbyg23

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I picked this kit up a few years back on a Black Friday special, and was super excited to get it too! Then it's just been sitting ever since. I think I was intimidated by it for some reason, either that or I just wasn't sure how I wanted to build it. Good news for you guys.... I figured out what I want to do! So I picked up a few more pieces and I'm ready to get going.

As with any Wildman kit, it's a bare-bones purchase. Body tube, fins, centering rings, motor tube, nose cone, and coupler. That's all. The parachute, switch bands, aeropack retainer, and bulkheads were all separate pieces. Nice thing though is that the fins came pre-beveled on the leading edge. Score! Chute is a 60" LOC that came with my mega-magg kit, but that's just an assumption for now that it's the right size. Quite a lot to sort out still on the design.

The name "Itchy" came from how my arms are feeling right now. As I dug around my parts boxes and various stashes I couldn't find a couple pieces to get the photo together. I hadn't even washed anything yet, and it's fiberglass, so now my arms really really itch. Oops.

I have a basic idea of what Head End Deployment is. Which is the extent of my plan, and the reason behind the centering ring and bulkheads. I'll figure out the rest as I go. I do know that closing off the coupler is going to limit me to a 2-grain 54mm motor and I'm ok with that. I've got other rockets for big motors and higher altitudes.

View attachment 451456
Watching this one.

Latest posts