It is always listening.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MClark

Reaction score
Sitting in restaurant for lunch with IPhone on the table.
Below is what the phone picked up in voice to text. Bits and pieces of conversations around me .

What is the score in the universe? Is it supposed to wear that caster? What the he!! tomorrow in the Poconos from the bachelorette pick a picture of a bear stupid changes mail.

I sent it to a friend and he said,
"add a bongo drum background track and you’ve got a hit!"

I use an older iphone, it doesn't have the voice to text and the speaking girl features.
Our daughter has a lot of electronics in her house, she wanted to buy my wife one of the Amazon listening devices but my wife didn't want one. Actually if we had one we are so dull it would probably break the internet.

Should make for an interesting Facebook feed tomorrow. 🤣

We were having a discussion at work after a flight about available reversal products for different blood thinners that have been on the market a few years, but still arent as readily available as vitamin K and kcentra. Shortly after I kept getting ads for Eliquis, which incidently was the medication that needed reversal.

Last edited:
We were having a discussion at work after a flight about available reversal products for different blood thinners that have been on the market a few years, but still arent as readily available as vitamin K and kcentra. Shortly after I kept getting ads for Eliquis, which incidently was the medication

It happens all the time to me. We don't own an Alexa or any other 'smart' device - other than the iPhones. There is zero question in my mind that the AI is listening, even if actual people never are.

I'm surprised there hasn't been thesis level research on this topic. It will either show that statistical probability is completely wrong, or the phones and other devices are listening.

Sandy.

It happens all the time to me. We don't own an Alexa or any other 'smart' device - other than the iPhones. There is zero question in my mind that the AI is listening, even if actual people never are., or the phones and other devices are listening.
+1
there's no way ads can pop up right after you talk about a specific topic, unless we are being monitored.

I'm pretty careful with my phone in terms of which apps I install (I DON'T install Facebook) on my phone. My Android phones have never "spied on me" and I've checked quite a few times. Google listens for the "OK Google" activation phrase but I've monitored network activity generally when I'm talking and when I am not; no different unless I intentionally activate the assistant. I don't get sudden adds / feed suggestions related to what I'm talking about, and I've LOOKED for this. I first started looking for this on a OnePlus 3T about 5 years ago, then a few years ago on my OnePlus 6T, and again this year with my Pixel 6.

My work iPhone has relatively little installed on it (only work related apps) and it doesn't suddenly start showing me adds/suggestions related to anything I say either.

So, I'm convinced that when people report that their conversations are being listened to for purposes of serving ads, that it's due to malicious apps, not an inherent plan by Apple/Google.

That said, anything I put in a google search instantly changes my ad serving profile. I did some research a few years back on my dad's prostate cancer, and for months I was getting ads for adult diapers and various cancer treatments.

i'm wary of the new "scan the QRC code to see our menu":
  • You will soon be added to their 'mailer' and will get ads / e-mails / texts
  • You will get discounts & such as you become a "preferred member", or be charge a higher price due to your lack of 'regular visits'
  • prices will fluctuate more rapidly due to take out / dine in option, time of day, day of the week, holiday, how full the restaurant is, etc.. (Like gas prices)
  • or any other methods of price manipulation since it is no longer a static piece of paper, but a piece of code & a database & user tracking

So, I'm convinced that when people report that their conversations are being listened to for purposes of serving ads, that it's due to malicious apps, not an inherent plan by Apple/Google.

My partner and I both have iPhones. No 3rd party apps. She talks about the car she wants and guess what ads pop up in her FB feed? She never gets a motorcycle ad.

Me, on the other hand, gets the motorcycle ads. Go figure.

My partner and I both have iPhones. No 3rd party apps. She talks about the car she wants and guess what ads pop up in her FB feed? She never gets a motorcycle ad.

Me, on the other hand, gets the motorcycle ads. Go figure.
My girlfriend’s old Android would do this. We used to try to see how weird the ads could get. Haven’t had this on my iPhone, but I mumble a lot so maybe I’ve found a loophole ? :)

Last edited:
Relevant XKCD:
listening.png

Relevant XKCD:
listening.png
Funny, but at least they are using the keyword. I think most people are worried about spying as defined by surreptitiously being listened in-to in absence of using the keywords.

I have a list of things I occasionally say, that would never enter my search history intentionally. I have yet to have such items come up on my phone.

A friend had the Google thing.

Getting drunk one night as his house was a larf: "hehe, hey Google... [insert drunken request / comment / lewdness / etc..]"

the 'fad' lasted about a few months in his house.. (its boxed up & in storage somewhere..)

On your non-Apple smart devices, check what permissions app have and remove those they don't need. For example, FB doesn't need access to your contacts, to the microphone, etc. If the app doesn't have permission to access the microphone, it can't listen to anything. I don't think you can revoke permissions on Apple devices, which is just one more reason I don't own any.

Also, look at something like PiHole and block the sites that are collecting the data and serving the ads. i.e. block googleadservices.com and google-analytics.com and you get zero ads from Google.

Funny, but at least they are using the keyword. I think most people are worried about spying as defined by surreptitiously being listened in-to in absence of using the keywords.
Although there are some apps that surreptitiously exfiltrate data, I tend to think people without tight control of their phones likely don't have tight control of their digital wake in general, so there is probably no need to blame an app on their phone. We're peppered with thousands of targeted ads a day, and whether by accuracy or luck, some are likely to hit on something that recently came up in conversation. We remember those, but we don't remember the thousands that don't.

Not that there isn't genuine spyware out there of course, I just don't think it's either the norm or necessary to explain this effect.
On your non-Apple smart devices, check what permissions app have and remove those they don't need. For example, FB doesn't need access to your contacts, to the microphone, etc. If the app doesn't have permission to access the microphone, it can't listen to anything. I don't think you can revoke permissions on Apple devices, which is just one more reason I don't own any.
I don't know the case in the past, but Iphones nowadays have similar control over app permissions. Of course there are exceptions, rather with Android devices that run Google Services.

Android can be run without Google Services of course, but it's a much shakier experience. I run a Pixel without Google Services for most of my mobile internet work and use an Iphone for things which are broken either by degoogling Android or by the aggressive adblocker I have on the Pixel.

Here's the thing:. We are peppered with ads, sometimes well targeted and sometimes not. But does anybody actually buy anything from them? Not once in my smartphone existence have I ever willingly clicked on an ad and bought something. Sure, accidental taps happen, but I don't buy anything. Are the rare click-throughs that valuable?

And do they think I'm going to download Evony: The King's Return because they show it to me one last (Hah!) Time after thousands of previous views?

@Marc_G that's one of my biggest complaints.. that "marketing" has taken over the internet.. anything to get their ad in front of eyes.. And at any cost. So, that's just cheapened the experience.. and so much so that ads are now pennies per ad / per percent of web page area. anything is free game.

But the 1% or .1% of click-thrus, over millions of ads, do add up to 'something' so there is some value.. but at the cost of the user experience..

Here's the thing:. We are peppered with ads, sometimes well targeted and sometimes not. But does anybody actually buy anything from them? Not once in my smartphone existence have I ever willingly clicked on an ad and bought something. Sure, accidental taps happen, but I don't buy anything. Are the rare click-throughs that valuable?

And do they think I'm going to download Evony: The King's Return because they show it to me one last (Hah!) Time after thousands of previous views?
I just wish with all the tracking they’d realize when I’ve actually purchased something. I really love seeing nothing but ads for snow tires for days after I’ve purchased a set.

I've mentioned this a few times lately but I'll say it again, build a PiHole system. It blocks ads on all devices seamlessly and is free except for the minimal hardware you are using to run it. It'll run just fine on as small as a RaspberryPi 3b. With PiHole, the ads never are downloaded and if you chose, data is never sent to the system that analyzes it for voice recognition. It blocks ads on my Android phone, my Chromebook, my Amazon tablet, my smart TV, my thermostat, my smart lightbulbs, my doorbell camera and all my PCs. It can't "listen" if it can't send the audio up to the server to be analyzed. Even if you search for something, it can't display ads for that something if it can't get to the servers that have those ads.

https://pi-hole.net/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pi-hole

I just wish with all the tracking they’d realize when I’ve actually purchased something. I really love seeing nothing but ads for snow tires for days after I’ve purchased a set.

I does make me wonder about technology... Facebook can target ads for a product I've looked at once, but USPS has no idea where in the system that product is now. 🤔

iPhones can control these things under setting > security and privacy. Allows you to limit access to everything from contacts to local network and motion / fitness / health sensor data.

It’s also worth noting that Apple has a newer, while potentially flawed, based on a quick and not thorough search, process that asks the user at app installation if the app can track across other services and apps.

Please remember to do a full power down and restart of your devices periodically.

I work on a .mil installation, in a building that is essentially a faraday cage. The work centers are personal electronics free zones, which means that my phone sits on my desk idle and without network connection from 0700 until we step out for lunch. The only apps that I have on my phone are AccuWeather, Windy, NavFed, and pandora. I occasionally use Google Maps for distance trips. I allow none of my apps have those so called 'global permissions' for camera or anything else other than single use occasions, which I authorize for that single instance only.

This sort of thing happens to me all the time:
My normal search items and internet pit stops are rocketry, WWII/GW tabletop games. When skynet decides to target me with 'office conversation ads', my normal search item emails and ads go to virtually nil for several days, regardless of my web browsing!

Last week the whole office (8 people) was discussing hydroponics, which morphed into a discussion about pickling and canning, while I was working in one of the secure work spaces.

I've never hydroponiced, pickled, or canned a single time in my life, nor have I EVER searched such terms with my personal or professional accounts. For three consecutive days after the office discussion noted above, my personal time on my home internet browsing was all but dominated with advertisements about hydroponics, pickling, canning, and food preservation. Same with my spam filter on my email, absolutely filled with email about that stuff. My usual stuff, which is the sum total of my web activity....virtually nothing!

After noting it for the third day, the new guy in the office also came clean that his feed was similarly biased and had been for several days, even though he had not searched for any of it himself.

The running joke is that you can always tell what the office is interested in by what shows up in our internet ad presentation, even if you weren't there for the discussion! We've even done some fairly crazy targeted topics to prove to the new guy that it happens and that it's not random chance or our collective imaginations. His admission that hydroponics was dominating his ad and spam email feed was the final event that showed him it was no mere coincidence.

* I actually don't give a darn about the ads(they're all but invisible to me when I do my various web browsing or purchasing, and 99.9% of the emails get filtered out by the spam filter), it the seemingly impossible way in which they get the idea to target me with the ads for things I NEVER looked up or EVER discussed personally that gives me the heebie jeebies.

Even when you think it CAN'T listen, it does and it is. But I'm sure that I'll be told that I need to change the tin foil in my hat! ;) :)

Last edited:
so close to George Orwells book "1984"

China's already there. All of the protestors you see on Tv right now, will mysteriously disappear in the next 6 months.

They're already tapping phones, and shaking people down that have pics of the protests. And 65% of our politicians are enamored by this. They couldn't see a slippery slope if we greased their @#$$#$.

hard to believe every cell phone is recording everything said.
The phone doesn't have to when the datacenters do it, or it's screened in real time by AI algorithms for key words.....or other devices are being used to collect and collate data.

There have even been plenty of tech articles about your smart TV data streams, too. Plenty of folks have monitored dataflow with return data turned "ON" and "OFF" and reported NO CHANGE in the high rate of data flow back to whomever is collecting it! Seems that even though the option turns red, the EULA has language in it that simply overrides your choice. Deny the terms of the EULA, and you bought a very nice, high tech brick. And let's not forget the EULA changing on all sorts of things, some of them quarterly or more!

Heck, it's been nearly a decade now that law enforcement has use "GeoFence" warrants to Google to see who's phone (and presumably who, by inference) was in a certain place at a certain time that a crime may have been committed. Reported accuracy returns of GPS with BT and WiFi is 10 feet or less, and the Geo Fence warrants can be set to just about any geographic location to which Google has service information!

Anything that can be harvested from your devices.....IS.

If you're not buying anything, if you're not selling anything.......YOU ARE THE PRODUCT.

That's why you get 'free' email and browser access that we USED to pay for.....you don't own it (read your EULA) nor get to dictate the terms of use other than use it or not. You get it for free because it sets an environment that you (willingly and perhaps unknowingly) produce communications and DATA that is harvested for marketing and who knows what else....

Last edited:
Back