Issues with RRC2+, Resolved

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyDSlagle

Reaction score
I am finally getting the chance to fly for level 1 tomorrow. Plan is to use the RRC2+ to eject my main at apogee, around 1500 feet, and have the motor for backup. Everything is ready so I decide to test my RRC2+ again. I have never flown it. It goes through all the beeps and then starts what I assuming is the POST fault code: a series of low beeps - going too fast to count, maybe seven - then the led flashes once with a single beep. I say this is a fault because it does it no matter how the DIP switches are set or if anything is hooked to either/both channels.

If I am right and this is a fault, the manual says Code 1 is Ambient Barometric Fault/Unstable conditions during Launch Commit Test.

It was sitting on my desk at the time.

Anyone have any experience with this Fault Code?
Any ideas how to fix it?
Or is it not a fault code, just something else?

I did contact Missleworks by phone and got no answer. Maybe after hours. Also sent them an email. Yes that was only less than an hour ago, I am not being impatient with Missileworks, I just wanted to know if this was a common and/or fixable problem because I need it tomorrow.

I do have an Adept22 that passed all tests, I can use that as another option. I will just have to redo my sled on site, which will suck.

Thanks for any help,
Mikey D

Last edited:
Sounds like a fault to me. I have not had an issue with mine so not sure how to proceed.

What battery? Are you testing with match attached?

Haven't had this issue with the RRC2, but just chiming in that Missileworks customer service is extremely good. I'm sure they'll help you as soon as they see your email/hear your vmail.

Thanks Mark,
Yeah, I'm pretty sure its a fault. But ambient barometric? Maybe something is on the sensor?

I have tried with a standard 9 volt - multimeter reads 9.22 volts and RRC beeps out 8.8
And with a 2s LiPo fresh off charger - RRC beeps out 8.8 volts
No matches, tried with Christmas lights on one channel, then the other channel, then both channels. Christmas light ohmed to ~3 ohms. But it is same result even with nothing hooked up. Was gonna try with a 1.5 ohm resistor before I tried a match, but duty called and had to hold off for a bit.

I'll jot down the beeps here in a bit, got the young 'un in the tub ATM.

Haven't had this issue with the RRC2, but just chiming in that Missileworks customer service is extremely good. I'm sure they'll help you as soon as they see your email/hear your vmail.

Didn't leave a voice mail, the phone just kept ringing, hung up after ring 12. I just figured they had closed up shop for the day.

Just my luck, I got a screwy unit. I've had it powered on before...but don't remember the beeps.
I bought it used from Stealth6 when he was selling out. Hope he didn't sell me a bad unit.

Didn't leave a voice mail, the phone just kept ringing, hung up after ring 12. I just figured they had closed up shop for the day.

Just my luck, I got a screwy unit. I've had it powered on before...but don't remember the beeps.
I bought it used from Stealth6 when he was selling out. Hope he didn't sell me a bad unit.

Send Jim an email via the Missleworks websites Contact link, Jim will respond usually within 24hrs or so.

Send Jim an email via the Missleworks websites Contact link, Jim will respond usually within 24hrs or so.

I sent an email right after I called, email is usually my go to choice.

So here are the beeps:
Beeeep
Beep x3
Beeeep
Beep x8
Beep x7
Low beep
LED flashes 5 times
Beep x9
Beep x1
Low beep
LED flashes 5 times, about the third flash it starts doing the fault code.

So I'm seeing:
3087 feet
9.1 volts
Then nothing.

Jom Amos is on vacation for 10 days, you may not hear from him... OR.... he may get notices by phone.

By the way, you are testing with a match hooked up....right?

Jom Amos is on vacation for 10 days, you may not hear from him... OR.... he may get notices by phone.

By the way, you are testing with a match hooked up....right?

No. The RRC2+ is supposedly capable of being flown in standalone, with no matches. If it has a fault in standalone, I don't see it being any different with matches, but I have zero experience with the thing. I was going to use a resistor but ran out of time. And then ran out of daylight so I couldn't go out and try a match. I'll try it with matches on sight today before loading it into the rocket. There will be some folks there with way more experience than me who can offer some advice.
I did try it with a Christmas light, they run around 3 ohms where my matches are 1.4 ohms or so. I thought the lights would be sufficient in the test.

If you're only flying for deployment at apogee, why not just keep it simple and use motor eject only?

I have more faith in electronic deployment. I prefer to have the chute come out right at apogee rather than an estimated x amount of seconds after motor burnout. Plus with electronic deployment I will have the motor as a backup. And I was planning to fly dual deploy later in the day in the same rocket.

Update.

On site at the launch yesterday I hooked up two matches to the RRC2+. Same results. Now just to wait on a reply from Missleworks to see what my options are.

Did you fly for your Level 1 or scrap it until electronic deploy?

Post deleted...missed that it was hooked up with charges.

Last edited:
Have you tested the Alt in a vacuum chamber with christmas tree lights? Vac chambers are fairly easy to make.

Is it mounted on a sled? If it is, then try it stand alone to see if the problem could be caused by mounting stresses (a slight torque opening a marginal connection).

Did you fly for your Level 1 or scrap it until electronic deploy?

Yes I flew on an H123W (Aerotech 38/240 case). I used my Adept22 in its place. Max altitude was 1240...I think, I'll have to check my records.checked my notes, it was 1240 feet, simmed to 1579 :confused: I had a JL Alt3 riding too, it says max altitude was 166 feet. I will post all the details of the flight and what not in a separate thread, started today but daddy duties came up. It was a successful flight, landed about 500 feet away. I am level 1. :)

Have you tested the Alt in a vacuum chamber with christmas tree lights? Vac chambers are fairly easy to make.

Yes. This was the very first thing I did. It was when I discovered the problem. I use a pickle jar, a funnel and a vacuum cleaner.

Is it mounted on a sled? If it is, then try it stand alone to see if the problem could be caused by mounting stresses (a slight torque opening a marginal connection).

All the tests were done without the altimeter mounted. Just lying on my table.

Thanks for the replies folks. Today I got a response from Jim at Missileworks. He says it sounds like a sensor, but needs further investigation. I haven't had a chance to send him a reply today, but he's on the case. I'll post the results and solution when I know more.

Thanks again for the help.

Mikey D

Last edited:
Update

Jim from Missileworks has triaged the unit, result:
"..logic regulator capacitor had gotten sheared off the backside"
Probably caused by a standoff/screw being too fat. That's good to know so I don't do it again.

He's got it fixed up and tested. Will be back to me next week... No charge. Awesome! Even more so because I got it secondhand, maybe third. And he's even tossing in a couple skinny standoffs.

Thanks very much to Jim and the good folks at Missileworks.

Back