Issues with OpenRocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astrofox

Reaction score
Hello, recently I have been trying to open OpenRocket but have consistently run into issues where I would select any dropdown boxes and the entire program would freak out graphically. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Java as well as attempting to reinstall OpenRocket itself. I am unsure what causes it.

Thanks for the help

Attachments

• buggedOR.png
    buggedOR.png
    295.4 KB · Views: 57
Details might help us help you better.

- Is this on a PC or a Mac?
- What is your operating system?
- Is your OS fully patched and updated?
- Do you have virus protection or security software running in the background?
- Where did you get "Java" from?
- Where did you get OpenRocket from?
-Have you scanned the machine to be sure it is free from viruses or malware?

https://www.java.com/en/
https://openrocket.info/
https://www.malwarebytes.com/business/

Details might help us help you better.

- Is this on a PC or a Mac?
- What is your operating system?
- Is your OS fully patched and updated?
- Do you have virus protection or security software running in the background?
- Where did you get "Java" from?
- Where did you get OpenRocket from?
-Have you scanned the machine to be sure it is free from viruses or malware?

https://www.java.com/en/
https://openrocket.info/
https://www.malwarebytes.com/business/
I'm using a PC. 64-bit OS, x64 processor, Windows 10 Home.
I only have McAffee running in the background and before doing anything else checked to see if it had detected anything. It doesn't seem to have. I just went through the process of uninstalling every version of Java I had and reinstalling it - restarting my computer after each action. I tried installing OR from the link you provided, and still nothing, unfortunately.

Sorry, I got nuthin'. If I ever remember where I've seen this problem before, I'll try to track it down (although I don't know if there was a solution to that).

Giving this thread a minor bump to see if anyone else is able to provide feedback or assistance.

Just at a completely random guess -- are you using an Intel integrated GPU?
My processor, as listed by the device specifications tab on my computer, is an Intel i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz.
For a much broader scope, I am using an Alienware 15 R4 running Windows 10 Home Edition.

EDIT: It occurred to me you were asking for GPU, and as far as I am aware there are two options listed under "Display Adapters" - Intel UHD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060.

I take that the first one is the integrated GPU. I must warn that I am not incredibly familiar with these things.

Last edited:
My processor, as listed by the device specifications tab on my computer, is an Intel i7-8750H CPU @ 2.20GHz.
For a much broader scope, I am using an Alienware 15 R4 running Windows 10 Home Edition.

EDIT: It occurred to me you were asking for GPU, and as far as I am aware there are two options listed under "Display Adapters" - Intel UHD Graphics 630 and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060.

I take that the first one is the integrated GPU. I must warn that I am not incredibly familiar with these things.
Are you using only one monitor? Is it attached to your motherboard ( right next to / in the same grouping as keyboard, mouse, etc. ) or is it attached to and add-in card perpendicular to your motherboard ( the nVidia card ).

I know this sounds goofy, but the java/intel integrated GPU is a thing that crops up from time to time, viz.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/screwy-openrocket-error-message.137473/#post-1642052

Are you using only one monitor? Is it attached to your motherboard ( right next to / in the same grouping as keyboard, mouse, etc. ) or is it attached to and add-in card perpendicular to your motherboard ( the nVidia card ).

I know this sounds goofy, but the java/intel integrated GPU is a thing that crops up from time to time, viz.
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/screwy-openrocket-error-message.137473/#post-1642052
It's a laptop, so it only uses a single monitor. As for the second question, I am unsure. Since it is a laptop I anticipate that it is already a part of the motherboard.

It's a laptop, so it only uses a single monitor. As for the second question, I am unsure. Since it is a laptop I anticipate that it is already a part of the motherboard.
Makes sense to me -- does the command I listed above do anything for you? I think what's happening is a disagreement between your GPU, the driver provided, java, and the OpenGL commands OpenRocket is trying to execute.

We can maybe work around that by launching OpenRocket in Java with the OpenGL stuff turned off. Apologies if this is more confusing than helpful./

I'm uncertain what command I'm trying to follow? Your link takes me to a post about either rolling back windows or to a previous version of Java. I saw the next comment which featured a command to disable the 3d stuff, though I am unsure how my directories to java would even work out.
I'm not familiar with attempting to run OR with OpenGL turned off, or how I would even go about doing so.

Have you tried changing your resolution of your screen? Make it a standard resolution, like 1920x1024 or 1024x768 or something like that and see if it goes away.

I'm uncertain what command I'm trying to follow? Your link takes me to a post about either rolling back windows or to a previous version of Java. I saw the next comment which featured a command to disable the 3d stuff, though I am unsure how my directories to java would even work out.
I'm not familiar with attempting to run OR with OpenGL turned off, or how I would even go about doing so.
Yup, this one:

C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\java.exe -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -jar OpenRocket-15.03.jar

I think maybe f you hit the windows key & r, then paste that in & strike enter/return you may have some success with the program generally at the cost of the 3d visualization not working.

It's a long shot, I know.

Have you tried changing your resolution of your screen? Make it a standard resolution, like 1920x1024 or 1024x768 or something like that and see if it goes away.
My computer's resolution in on the recommended 1920 by 1080.

Yup, this one:

C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath\java.exe -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -jar OpenRocket-15.03.jar

I think maybe f you hit the windows key & r, then paste that in & strike enter/return you may have some success with the program generally at the cost of the 3d visualization not working.

I'll see if that will work. Do I replace the path you mention with the path to the java.exe application?

Yup, this one:

It doesn't seem to even open when I try to run the case where I go to where java.exe is stored:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_261\bin\java.exe

I don't have a "ProgramData" and "javapath" file, so I assumed that I would replace the directory suggested with the aforementioned one, adding the other bit of the command to it.

Rather, instead of opening, a window pops up and then immediately goes away when I try to run said command. Beyond that, nothing else happens.

Astrofox, can you confirm that you have a compatible java enabled? Sometimes a newer version will install when you don't want it or a newer version will install on top of an old one but the old one isn't removed and still messing with things.

Java version check

Astrofox, can you confirm that you have a compatible java enabled? Sometimes a newer version will install when you don't want it or a newer version will install on top of an old one but the old one isn't removed and still messing with things.

Java version check

Only have one instance of Java installed.1600297143508.png

Ok so that version is compatible and gets that bit out of the way.
In order for dhbarr's command you have to go into the command prompt, cd to the folder where openrocket is located (like downloads or desktop) and then run that command verbatim. If you aren't super techy that can sound like a lot and I can do a quick write up if you like.

I have OR on my desktop, I'm just not certain how the rest of the command would look like.

1 click start menu, type cmd and hit enter

2 the black command prompt window will show up and say
C:\Users\astrofox>
type the following line and replace astrofox with whatever your username is, keep in mind it is case sensitive
cd C:\Users\astrofox\Desktop

3 it should now say
C:\Users\astrofox\Desktop>

4 copy paste the following line as dhbarr mentioned

Let us know if it worked, if not then you will have to try something else.

Could the path to java be different, or could it be that it didn't install correctly somehow?

At first I thought botched install, but Java may just install differently based on windows version or hardware. My home PC returned the same thing so I wouldn't suspect it as a bad install. Maybe some one who knows java better could answer that.

A bit of a shot in the dark but,
1 you could try to disable your mcafee (not uninstall just disable) and see if it will launch. if that works then you might need to put in an exception or mess with settings there.
2 run the nvidia graphics driver setup to see if that is up to date. Caution with graphics drivers though, they are pretty stable these days but can still cause system issues if they don't go right.

1 click start menu, type cmd and hit enter

2 the black command prompt window will show up and say
C:\Users\astrofox>
type the following line and replace astrofox with whatever your username is, keep in mind it is case sensitive
cd C:\Users\astrofox\Desktop

3 it should now say
C:\Users\astrofox\Desktop>

4 copy paste the following line as dhbarr mentioned

Let us know if it worked, if not then you will have to try something else.

Last thing on this, instead of:
in step 4 just use this:
java.exe -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -jar OpenRocket-15.03.jar

Doing your suggested correction to what I typed into the cmd seemed to have fixed the issue for now. I'll play around a bit more to see if it fixes itself.

Until then, as a personal note if this happens again (or for just memorizing this process):
Step 1) Windows Key + R
Step 2) open command line using cmd
Step 3) cd Desktop
Step 4) java.exe -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -jar OpenRocket-15.03.jar
Step 5) ???
Step 6) Profit?

Back