ISO MGM-52 Lance Missle Scale data ( ISO=In Search Of)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First time I have heard it called the SIG-D, tried a search for the term, and the only links I get lead me to the same photo via Google images.

I think I first saw the SIG-D designation and pictures on a Army Redstone web page. But I also find plenty of other stuff. Including WSMR met reports.

This is something I hadn't seen before with images from a round I hadn't seen:
sill-www.army.mil/firesbulletin/archives/.../JAN_FEB_1981_PAGES_57_60.pdf

This has a history of ATACMS that I hadn't seen before. Lots of interesting details on the SIG-D and Assualt Breaker programs as well:
https://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a517010.pdf

Here is the Lance history page (the original subject of this thread) from Army Redstone:
https://history.redstone.army.mil/miss-lance.html

and this is probably where I found the SIG-D photo:
https://history.redstone.army.mil/ihist-1980.html

Some Dimensions !

Do not attempt to derive any other dimensions from that image as it is badly distorted.

More information:

A number of years ago another club member (Chas Russell) noticed my interest in the Assault Breaker/T22 and handed me some information which I just remembered and dug up. I have a photo copy of the cover of AW&ST for 10 December 1979 which is the SIG-D launch. Perhaps there was more inside.

The 21 April 1980 issue has an article with this partially dimensioned drawing on page 157. Not as obviously distorted. There was also a report on SIG-D in the 13 October 1980 issue.

Do not attempt to derive any other dimensions from that image as it is badly distorted.

More information:

A number of years ago another club member (Chas Russell) noticed my interest in the Assault Breaker/T22 and handed me some information which I just remembered and dug up. I have a photo copy of the cover of AW&ST for 10 December 1979 which is the SIG-D launch. Perhaps there was more inside.

The 21 April 1980 issue has an article with this partially dimensioned drawing on page 157. Not as obviously distorted. There was also a report on SIG-D in the 13 October 1980 issue.

David,

Yes, I should have mentioned that the drawing was not to scale . . . Use the "numbers" only !

If you can post that info, it would be great . . . So everyone can share.

Dave F.

Thanks for that document, Ez. Some reading between the lines:
" … .collect data to support the simulation efforts that were underway to support both Lance follow on efforts and the ongoing Assault Breaker efforts."
So FOTL and Assault Breaker were developing simultaneously?
"About the same time the new office assumed a role in the Assault Breaker effort and brought the management of both efforts together."
So the SIG-D tests aided in the merging of the FOTL airframe and Assault Breaker developments?

FOTL eventually became ATACMS. Also UhClem thanks for the info SIG-D wasn't the missle but it was part of the T-22.

Rich,
I was browsing through my copy of Berman and Gunston's "Rockets & Missiles of World War III" and saw this photo:
SCN_0012.jpg
Vought T-22 Corps support 'bus' missile, from which submunitions can be dispensed.
I got a kick out of the sign on the bottom. Laters.

Latest posts

Back