ISO MGM-52 Lance Missle Scale data ( ISO=In Search Of)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rharshberger

Reaction score
Looking for drawings of the the MGM-52 Lance missle with dimensions. ROTW drawing would be nice even, any information. This US missile seems to have received little love here on the forums as even the TLP version has no galleries or data that I have been able to located.

I built the TLP Lance with fins based on the Alway drawings. It flies great; it's rock solid on D12-5. And as you point out, you don't see one every day. I recommend it.

Why don't you google it, get a side profile picture, and work backwards.

Why don't you google it, get a side profile picture, and work backwards.
Maybe you need to get your cranial rectal convergence fixed. Google is usually the first form of research for a scale project, failing to achieve good enough data, measurements from actual examples/displays are next (if possible), if the first two fail to achieve the results sought asking members of the forum if they have plans or data to share is next. It will surprise you the amount of data possessed by members of TRF, several time they have not only risen to the task but absolutely slam dunked it.

https://www.amrdec.army.mil/amrdec/50th/innovation-mgm-52.html

This had the length and diameter of the real one from the actual Army. That's more info than I found out about BAMSE. Sometimes if you find real good quality pictures you can directly measure body tube or nosecone lengths and fin info off photo then rescale it to how you want. Granted it won't be perfect so stop obsessing over minor details on a project you can't find data on. Most people will agree it looks Lance enough. Maybe you'll find someone that worked on it or had a schematic, but I doubt it. If they make toy models of the lance maybe there's details on color configurations and markings etc. I only googled it and you still start with insults. I've solidworks and OR'd a SAAB BAMSE and 372 from resizing length/diameter of components from actual photos. I had to eyeball a power series for the aft transitions and plug numbers in until close enough. SAaB wasn't going to just tell the exact power series exponent they used, lol. I even made a few spreadsheets to resize it as I like in the future.

What are you expecting high res pictures with templates to make a model from with jigs too!?!? Put a little work into it and you too can rescale from pictures to any hobby tube size you want. Who knows, you could make a Lance kit yourself.

Uncle Mike's still has the TLP plan pak for that missile. Two fin versions, conventional warhead and nuclear, as well as the cardstock tail cone pattern and nose cone tip extension. With TLP defunct and their kits no longer readily available, this is the best way to go. Standard components are readily available at numerous vendors. Plus you can use the templates/patterns to up/downscale to any size.

A little more information:

Length 20 ft 3 in

Diameter 22 in

(From Bill Gunston's The Illustrated Encyclopedia of the World's Rockets and Missiles)

There's a nice close up picture in the book showing the Army markings, and another one showing the spinner rockets firing at launch.

Everyone who contributed thank you. Basically I have pretty minimal info to work with until I get a chance to visit a display and take measurements for myself. Evidently this is not a particularly popular rocket to model in much detail. My eventual goal is to model the T52 Assaultbreaker based off the Lance.

Looking for drawings of the the MGM-52 Lance missle with dimensions. ROTW drawing would be nice even, any information. This US missile seems to have received little love here on the forums as even the TLP version has no galleries or data that I have been able to located.

Did anybody ever located scale plans of the MGM-52 series of missiles? I'm working from images but would love to see some hard numbers other than overall length and diameter.

As someone else mentioned, it appears the dims might could be found here https://blastzone.org/nar/narts/store.asp?groupid=1080035015601 Anyone know for certain it has the MGM-52 series data?

Thanks!

Interesting thread - looking forward to seeing the build. I'm surprised the Lance hasn't been kitted as an HPR by one of the kit manifacturers (to my knowledge). Obviously the fins would have to be 'sports scale'...

Interesting thread - looking forward to seeing the build. I'm surprised the Lance hasn't been kitted as an HPR by one of the kit manifacturers (to my knowledge). Obviously the fins would have to be 'sports scale'...
iirc The Launch Pad had a kit, my actual desire for info was to build a experimental version known as the T-22 Assault Breaker (which is built) however I do intend to build a Lance as well.

Nice one.. MAC Performance seem to have a bit of a 'vintage Vought' thing going on with their misdile collection...IMHO this would be a great addition.

My version of the T22 Assault Breaker just needs paint and its setup dual deploy or single deploy by changing the avbay to a baffled coupler. Its also a zipperless fin can.20190124_143351.jpeg

That picture looks like a F.O.T.L. Is there a difference?
I don't think that I have ever seen a picture of a FOTL. What I have seen is actually from the SIG-D tests which used the T22 airframe. I am not even sure if the FOTL program ever resulted in flight hardware.

Assault Breaker was comprised of two prototypes the missle based on the Lance and one based on the Patriot (T-16) iirc. Neither went beyond flying prototypes. The system was heavily integrated with other systems that did go onto production one of which was JSTARS. The link below has some information but not sure how accurate. Both T-16 and T-22 were smart cluster weapons.

https://www.ausairpower.net/TE-Assault-Breaker.html

ASP's OOP FOTL kit:
View attachment 372593
View attachment 372594
The EMRR review is here:https://www.rocketreviews.com/aerospace-speciality-products-asp-fotl--by-chan-stevens.html
With the added forward fins it looks an AWFUL LOT like the T-22. Maybe renamed?

Other than the picture of the T-22 Dave posted has "Assault Breaker" right on the nose cone, I do not know. It is entirely possible that a all the Assault Breaker needed was a different warhead to be FOTL but according to some sources (AUSA link in Daves post) I have come across FOTL was after Assault Breaker as LTV it was surmised would submit the T-22 for its version of FOTL, FOTL was also purportedly to fit the MLRS chassis and have two missles, T-22 is too long.

Back