Is wood radio transparent

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

udid9iv99

Reaction score
Hi,

I am making a project out of 3/4" plywood and particle board and I need it to be radio transparent, are these materials radio transparent?

Wood is generally transparent to radio waves. One reason I say that is because we'd expect a radio to work in a log cabin. Another is this quick reference I just found, which isn't the best but it's a good enough I think (third or fourth paragraph).

Largely transparent. If you have a lot of wood around the antenna, rather than air it might detune it to a small degree. Higher moisture content will have greater impact.

Not really worried about it IMHO.

Thinking about EMC testing for regulatory purposes you can have structures around the equipment under test to protect them from weather, but they must not perturb the measurements. The typical structure is made of wood and uses dowel pins to hold everything together, to avoid using nails or screws. Likewise the table the EUT is sitting on is wooden.

Last edited:
Wood is mostly “transparent” in RF bands. Think of it like a clear plastic bottle or a piece of glass. You can see through them but they are not invisible. They will reflect and refract some amount of energy and change the performance slightly.

Thanks everyone. What I am doing is this (see attached images) to bats in a bat house, but the bats cannot see the setup. So what I was thinking is attach the sensor and antenna outside the bat house and have it sense the heartbeats inside, but I wasn't sure if the signal would be interfered with through the 3/4" plywood.

Back