is this equal in OD to the estes BT-101's?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd call Estes and let them know, they may send you a new kit.
BT-101's have a tendency to go out of round because of the size and thickness (strength) of the tubing.
Unless it's kinked, centering rings and bulkheads will bring it back to shape.
To answer your question, yes.

I'd call Estes and let them know, they may send you a new kit.
BT-101's have a tendency to go out of round because of the size and thickness (strength) of the tubing.
Unless it's kinked, centering rings and bulkheads will bring it back to shape.
To answer your question, yes.
It wasnt really warped badly there was a small kink at one end but the finished look of the kit would have been ruined.

But i dont think estes would refund a whole kit for a kink.

And yeah i agree the tubes are really weak.

I would think it's generally safe (anyone know of any exceptions?) to assume that if a body tube is sold with an Estes BT designation, then it's a match. I don't think I usually even bother to check; if I need BT55 I just get something labeled BT55 from whatever vendor I happen to be buying from that day.

It wasnt really warped badly there was a small kink at one end but the finished look of the kit would have been ruined.

I bought a Ventris from Estes and it arrived with a small kink in the BT and I send them an email along with a pic and they replaced the whole kit, no questions asked.

Ventris 1 (576x1024).jpg

Gotta love Estes.

Jim

But i already cut the damaged part off yesterday. So i dont have any proof that it was damaged.

but since i cut it off there are alot of kinks on it from where it bent as i was cutting it.

Most times an honest and clear explanation is all it takes to get results. Doesn't hurt to contact Estes Customer's Service and see what they say.

1st of all. it wouldn't be the first time Estes has replaced a whole kit for something like that. Of course, when I asked for replacement wraps & vacuformed parts for mine, that's what I got. One thing to know here is, the Sat V is a large low power rocket. Too large honestly. It should have been a mid power model with stronger parts/tubes. The BT 101 is way too fragile for this rocket although it will work. Back in the day, I'm sure Estes & Centuri both, were struggling to see who had the best or the first one to market. The Sat V was very strong on everyone's mind back then and I doubt they worried much about the rigidity of this model. In fact, they had to keep it within their limits of being a flying model. Hence, the usual 150' flights. That's why the tubes are weak. They had to be light weight. Modifications were made to make it even lighter (I think) because it barely got off the pad. But that was not much of an improvement. Knowing what I do now, I modified mine to take 24mm composites which I know will work in some LPR models. I wanted to get better than a D12 to lift it. The bottom line here is, the whole rocket is fragile and prolly better suited as a display queen. The fins, fairings and tower assemblies were a major concern for many modelers so Sirius started distributing resin cast replacement parts. I even cast my own replacements using resin casting. And if I ever get out of hating it for being such a crappy kit, I'll have to use composites to fly it.

Most times an honest and clear explanation is all it takes to get results. Doesn't hurt to contact Estes Customer's Service and see what they say.
Ok. I just need a replaced tube so i will ask them.

Yes I sent a email a month ago to see if I could buy a nose cone for a mega Der red max and she came back with we don't have any .

If it's truly at the end then you're fine. One end gets a wrap and the other end gets fins, shrouds, and a wrap.

Back