Is this advisable?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cydermaster

Reaction score
I've been looking at my newly built Drake, and my attention has been drawn to the Ram-Jet tube - an 18mm motor fits in it too well. If I was to plug a C6-0 motor with a blob of epoxy and cluster it, would I be pushing my luck too far?

Your thrust may be off center. I have not built my Drake yet....is there enough fin area to handle the extra rearward weight shift?

It would be interesting to SIM this, if you could with those weird wings.

I'm making no claims and would suggest that if you try this, you do this in a large **empty** area, away from people, especially spectator types... :D

I *knew* this was going to be tried (tempted me also), but have no idea how it would work. The large fin area *will* help, but will it be enough??

The model is quite long with a wider body and large nose at the fore end, so that helps too (from a CG/CP point of view)

If you were to do this, I would recommend a C11/C6 or C11/B6 combo...

keep us posted if you actually try this!

It looks good to me, go for it. I guarantee you will have nothing but success with this multi-engine configuration. With all that nose and those fins, give it a try.

Thanks for the resposes. As the puppy hasn't even had its maiden flight, I won't be trying it for a while.

Unfortunatly, C11 engines are not stocked by either of the rocket shops, over here, so I'd have to go with a D11 anyway :(.

Not being able to afford the new Rocksim; I can't SIM the rocket, due to the cool wings/fins. If anybody does make a Rocksim of the Drake; could you do me a favour, run a sim of the Drake clustered, and let me know the results?

Whatever happens, I'll be putting a very high emphesis on safety at the launch. Choose a time when I know the field will be deserted, keep spectators to a minimum (but not be on my own - just in case), extend my launch wires to 10m - give me a better view of the lift off too, etc. Piccies will be taken, and if any of them are any good, I'll post them. :cool:

Good luck man. I sometimes come up with weird ideas and I don't know if I should build them so I ask my dad. He just says "you will never you know if you don't try"

Try it...just imagine how cool it will be if it works

Cyder:
I had to take a look at the whole vehicle before I added my 2 cents worth. I'm with airforce with all that fin area and length it should fly fairly well, If your a little skidish as Jim mentioned always try unproven designs and even First flights alone, away for others just in case:)
another idea popped in my head as soon as I looked at the model. why not add an additional "pod " on the opposite side and fly it with a center D12 or as a 3 motor cluster Center D12 and 2 18mm whatevers in the pods.

Micro, That's a fantastic idea. I just order another Drake from Fliskits today and that sounds like a good use for it.
I really like multi engines!:)
Never thought much about them until some rocket freak from the Northeast introduced me to something I used to think of as a card, the Deuce, of course.;)

I was toying with the extra 'pod' on the other side to balance out the thrust. Looks like I'll be ordering another one, soon, with another BT20. I'm too busy with my first one, to think about building another. Its sitting there, at the moment, with its 3rd coat of primer drying. Looking very[/] cool! :cool:

this boy has the *nads* to say "sitting there... ...looking very cool!" and yet doesn't give us a picture!

sheesh! :D

Originally posted by jflis
this boy has the *nads* to say "sitting there... ...looking very cool!" and yet doesn't give us a picture!

sheesh! :D

LOL :D

Well ......... as you asked so nicely ;)

Spent today doing the Sanding Sealer ritual. Only took 3 coats until the balsa felt propally glassed, and smooth - I was allowing for 5! :cool: The fin/wing balsa was very smooth to start with, which helped.

The primer thats drying, now, is the third coat; having done the first coats, giving it a good sanding with 600-800 paper, inbetween. Gonna look at it again tomorrow morning. If it needs it, I might give it another primer coat tomorrow, after work. Otherwise I'll leave it for another 24hrs, swift sand & wipe down with Isopropyl alcohol; then on with a white gloss coat, which I'll use as the base for my colour scheme - l've amost finalised what I'll be doing.

hi cydermaster,
there's a rocket sim on the nasa model rocket site.it's nothing fantastic butit could be worth a look..:)

Back