Is there a way to search for a post by the post number?

lakeroadster

Improvise, Adapt and Overcome
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure I am not alone in that I save photos from threads here on TRF onto my computer.

If I were to use the post # as part of the file name, is there a way to search here on TRF for that post no.?

Let's use #post-2038035 as an example. If I type in 2038035 in the Search function, it finds where Solar Yellow quoted the post.​
But if we use #post-2037815 as an example, if I type 2037815 in the Search function, I get nothing.​

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Not an answer to your question, but if you can remember a key word from The post (even better in the title) and the TRF handle of the poster, it will often find it for you.

Sparky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
I do not know of a way. I tried a couple of possibilities that did not work.

SecondRow

Reaction score
I've got a partial solution, but it's not ideal. The number right before the #post in the link address denotes the thread. If you search on google for "the rocketry forum" thread number, you should at least get the thread, if not the post, you want. For example, the thread number you're looking at in your OP is 161479 (denoted in the link for the post). If you google "the rocketry forum" 161479, you get this:

One hit - for the thread you're looking for. I tried it on a couple other ones and it seems to be consistent. Of course, if the thread has a lot of pages, this isn't helpful.

I tried this method for the post number, but it didn't work.

My only other thought is to save the entire address for the post as the file name. But that's kind of messy.

lakeroadster

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a partial solution, but it's not ideal. The number right before the #post in the link address denotes the thread. If you search on google for "the rocketry forum" thread number, you should at least get the thread, if not the post, you want. For example, the thread number you're looking at in your OP is 161479 (denoted in the link for the post). If you google "the rocketry forum" 161479, you get this:

One hit - for the thread you're looking for. I tried it on a couple other ones and it seems to be consistent. Of course, if the thread has a lot of pages, this isn't helpful.

I tried this method for the post number, but it didn't work.

My only other thought is to save the entire address for the post as the file name. But that's kind of messy.

Hey, that's a good work around! I can save the filename as 161479-(post number). Then search for the thread as you specified, then go to the post.

That works. Thanks
:computer:

BigMacDaddy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure exactly what you are trying to do but are browser bookmarks an alternative? Google will save these attached to your account so you can get them wherever you are.

lakeroadster

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Not sure exactly what you are trying to do but are browser bookmarks an alternative? Google will save these attached to your account so you can get them wherever you are.

I find a photo I want to save onto my computer. I want to create a filename for that file, that later (days - months or years) can be used to find the thread.

Search For File.jpg

Reinhard

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A bit of caution, the thread and/or post numbers might change after an upgrade of the forum software.
A reverse image search can probably help you in this case, but if it is essential that you can revisit the thread at a later time, you should probably document the thread name somewhere.

Reinhard

lakeroadster

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A bit of caution, the thread and/or post numbers might change after an upgrade of the forum software.
A reverse image search can probably help you in this case, but if it is essential that you can revisit the thread at a later time, you should probably document the thread name somewhere.

Reinhard

Thanks.

The word "upgrade" being an oxymoron in that case...