Is there a schedule for big projects this LDRS?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For informational purposes in regards to people wondering when special projects will fly....

At best, the teams building these have theories about when they'll fly. This comes from experience of having been part of six of them. Ask the KLOUDBusters what answer my team always gives when asked how much longer -- "30 minutes".

Saturday night, I asked Dan Welling how long he thought they'd be at the pad to prep Marvin. "About an hour," to which I replied, "Okay, 2 or 3 hours."

Special projects are incredibly complicated and almost always a one-off, requiring non-standard methods to prepare them, carry them out to the pad, assemble them on the pad and arm the electronics. It's rare that they get flown more than once.

-Kevin

It took the Kaboom Krewe all day to get this rocket ready for the launch pad. They started on the recovery at 7:30 AM and launched it around 5 PM. Huge effort by a great group of guys.

It took the Kaboom Krewe all day to get this rocket ready for the launch pad. They started on the recovery at 7:30 AM and launched it around 5 PM. Huge effort by a great group of guys.

Yeah, it sure took a while. We struggled in a few places, but it came together in the end. Had some difficulties with setting it up on the pad, but we know what we need to do now to make it easier on us to fly it again.

Troj gave me some crap as I passed the away RSO driving back to the range head to get some supplies we forgot.. And he was spot on. A couple more hours is what it took to get this thing in the air. All in good fun :) It helped lift my spirits. Should be fun to fly again!

Yep. These things never go as planned.

Marvin was a fun flight and flew about like I expected it to. And that motor was incredible!

-Kevin

Back