Is there a need, or interest?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Woody's Workshop, did you ever get this video made? Do you still need help editing or posting? I think of this post every few months, and wonder "did that TRF video on sharpening ever get made?"

I tried to hold the camera and do the task several times and it didn't come out well.
I've asked my son to hold the camera several times, and he said he would.
But it seams he doesn't want to take the time to do it.
I kind of put it on the back burner, but maybe I need to take time and figure something out to hold the camera.
I was actually thinking about making up little kits to sell to sharpen the X-ACTO blades.
Which could be used to fine tune edges on other cutting items as well.
Right now I'm in a really tight spot for investing in something if no one wants to purchase the kit.
I'm just finishing up a couple leather crafting projects, so I guess it high time I get er done.

Looking for something this morning, I came across a video that relates to this subject.
It's actually about sharpening AND Polishing leather tools. Key word here is Polishing, the difference is explained in detail.
But you will get the idea of what you need to do to keep your X-ACTO type blades sharp, and many other things.
The only thing you will need is White Jewelers rouge. You don't actually need a piece of leather.
Brown craft paper, brown paper bag, inside of a cereal box will all work equally as well. They are free and disposable.
A small 1oz bar of white rouge will last you a lifetime for doing hobby knife blades.
But I have a feeling many of you will find yourselves Polishing more than just your hobby knife blades.
Enjoy
I will still try and get a specific for hobby knife blades, and discuss the different roughs.

I tried to hold the camera and do the task several times and it didn't come out well.
Always use a tripod. Also, it makes for a more interesting video if you make take shots from different angles. When you're demonstrating something, be sure your hands and body aren't in the way. At first I used to do the narration live, but I find it's better to do that as a voice-over during editing.

Always use a tripod. Also, it makes for a more interesting video if you make take shots from different angles. When you're demonstrating something, be sure your hands and body aren't in the way. At first I used to do the narration live, but I find it's better to do that as a voice-over during editing.

I don't have a tripod and too poor to afford one. I'll have to tape some stick together and tape the camera to the sticks somehow.
I've never done any kind of editing, so I guess that part of it is all going to be as it happens.
But Thank You Kindly for the tips. I'll try and remember to move the camera around where it counts.

If I were undertaking to produce videos like this, I'd buy something like this ($7.99) or this ($9.48). Surely not the steadiest or best quality, and I'm sure some would say a waste of money, but compared to sticks and tape a cheapy like that would be a big step up.

I don't have a tripod and too poor to afford one. I'll have to tape some stick together and tape the camera to the sticks somehow.

Tripods are even cheaper than SD cards.
Don't give up until you've searched Amazon!

I've never done any kind of editing, so I guess that part of it is all going to be as it happens.

Quality video editing is an art form that requires time, patience, decent computer hardware, and profeSSional video editing software. Very cool stuff, but not cheap, and likely outside of your current budget.

I understand that video's have to uploaded to you tube, not directly here.
Is that correct?

Yes.
YouTube, or onlyFans.com
Then link from there.

Adequate-but-not-great tripods are often available in thrift stores around here for a few bucks.

Adequate-but-far-from-great video editing can be done with freeware. Cut out the dead space and bloopers, splice a few files together: that level of editing is not too hard, and can make it watchable .

Shooting video, editing, posting on youtube is not a simple quick thing. If you have problems with SD cards I will suggest that getting into video will be very frustrating. You could just write up a description of the sharpening process.

Back