Is there a kit or kits I could bash to look like this sounding rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
Mine didn't progress to the final stages because I just didn't feel confident that the D12-0 booster would both ignite the sustainer and "actuate" the rear eject at the same time...

The sustainer is done and ready for the flight. The booster needs just a bit more "finish" work and paint.

-Bob

I did a BBX with 9.5" of gap staging... Worked well, but also ran if off a 6' rail. Didn't use anyt recovery with booster and no real issues recovering it... Only thing that was recovered, long story.

Used bt-60 tubing. Makes terrier booster a tad small in diameter.

May try and redo it with the full height on the booster which means it'll push 14" for gap staging

My "build" thread is somewhere.

I think I will just scratch build it. It’s not too hard. The little, flattish transition will take some figuring out. The fins are all standard shapes. I am not sure how to get those beveled edges on the booster fins. Sand using a straight edge?

I just need some sort Nike model rocket for the bottom part and then I can custom make the top part. I will need to decrease the size of the forward fins to keep them from destabilizing rocket, eh what?
I guess I could increase the size of the aft fins but then I might as well custom-make the whole rocket. Also it won’t look as much like the rocket on static display in Boulder.
How is this rocket stable with those big forward fins?
https://locprecision.com/collections/rockets-3-1-diameter/products/terrier-booster
Here you go.

Don't feel bad about nobody knowing what the rocket is. In some of my Black Brant Information
Hunting Phone calls the person on the other end would reply that they did not have any information
about the Black Brant Goose :facepalm:

This one looks a lot like the Terrier/sandhawk kit by Apogee, which is kind of a generic kit. I have one, and have a 54mm Arcas as a sustainer for the same booster. I think I have a Black Brant X that will also fit as a sustainer. I'm not sure trying to be pure here is going to be very useful. I'd build it like I wanted it.

In other news, the original Nike Booster had some horsepower that seemed to change propellant into serious velocity, quickly. I realize its not much, but I'd like to watch a few sounding rockets go (from as close as they will let me). If it burns off a little hair, I'd be OK with that.

Back