Is there a DYI solution for 1010 rail buttons?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just be aware, some clubs don't allow steel rail buttons. They are tough on the rails!

But, I could use a 1/4-20 nylon pan head screw and two nylon 1/4-20 nuts with a couple washers...hmmm...o_O

They are so inexpensive that buying them is likely the easiest and best route.

I 3d printed a set - not worth the time.
Can you expand on why? I've printed a few sets now and have had no issues. I've used both CF PLA and PETG with no issues. With the PLA I lubed them up with a little white lithium grease to ensure they'd slide well. The PETG is a little more slippery than the PLA, so I haven't had to lube it. I've got some nylon filament I may try later, but for the pain in the butt that is to print, it's easier to use other materials. Are you sure your tolerances were good?

Buy from Rail-buttons.com Get a pack of 30 and Randy will ship them USPS so it's cheap. That one purchase covers a lot of rockets and the shipping costs per rocket is tiny.

-or-

Drive to Lowes/HomeDepot/etc and go to the hardware section. They have nylon washers and spacers. 2 washers + 1 spacer and a screw = 1 rail button. If you're there anyway, you can get a set for less than $2 or so. I still think rail-buttons.com is the better option.

Shipping????? My order from Railbuttons was only 4.83 .....

Order the bulk packs and all sizes you may need, get a couple of 1515 too. If ya don't use...sell em.

I got 3 packs of 10 and 1 of 1515. That was only 3 yrs ago & most are gone from use & handing some out at launches to those in need.

Trust me it ain't worth your time and effort to re-invent the wheel, besides don't you know the government mantra for all divisions?????
If it is available & suits the need...ALWAYS buy it off shelf, if cheaper, than making it.

I just sent Randy a note at Railbuttons.com asking for a shipping quote on a 10-pack of 1-piece derlin 1010 buttons. Hopefully he can do better than $4 for just one package.

Shipping????? My order from Railbuttons was only 4.83 .....

Order the bulk packs and all sizes you may need, get a couple of 1515 too. If ya don't use...sell em.

I got 3 packs of 10 and 1 of 1515. That was only 3 yrs ago & most are gone from use & handing some out at launches to those in need.

Trust me it ain't worth your time and effort to re-invent the wheel, besides don't you know the government mantra for all divisions?????
If it is available & suits the need...ALWAYS buy it off shelf, if cheaper, than making it.

Agreed.

I just sent Randy a note at Railbuttons.com asking for a shipping quote on a 10-pack of 1-piece derlin 1010 buttons. Hopefully he can do better than $4 for just one package.
I hate to say it but if $4 shipping for rail buttons is killing you, you might need to reconsider high power as a hobby.

What was wrong with them? Mine are fine and have taken 50+ G flights with little appreciable wear.

They work fine for a few flights. I may need to print in nylon. The ones I used lasted 2-3 flights on my farm but the rail may have been dirty.

Don't forget that this is a hobby and some like to build things from scratch, while others like to buy. There's no right or wrong, practicality is pretty much irrelevant for some of us. Re-inventing the wheel isn't wise when it comes to business or efficiency, but it sure can help you understand how things work (or don't work for that matter :p).

I actually found everything on my shopping list at eRockets...buttons, BT5 stuff for micro builds, shock cord sleeve.

I'm glad we could have this discussion on homemade rail buttons.

Don't forget that this is a hobby and some like to build things from scratch, while others like to buy. There's no right or wrong, practicality is pretty much irrelevant for some of us. Re-inventing the wheel isn't wise when it comes to business or efficiency, but it sure can help you understand how things work (or don't work for that matter :p).

I generally agree with this.

But making your own rail buttons is kind of like reinventing the straw. If you're looking to make special airfoils, or rails, OK I get it. But if you're just going to buy nylon washers and screws and you're building less than 500 rockets.... you just get put in the insane column

I generally agree with this.

But making your own rail buttons is kind of like reinventing the straw. If you're looking to make special airfoils, or rails, OK I get it. But if you're just going to buy nylon washers and screws and you're building less than 500 rockets.... you just get put in the insane column
That’s what I kinda meant, I’ve been 3D printing airfoiled buttons. I’ve also 3D printed things when I was too lazy to run down to the store or it was closed. Sometimes it’s easier to just print something off than to wait on it to be delivered.

I mean, if someone has a use for the washers and screws outside of the buttons, it might not be that crazy. Even if they don’t, you can grab a few packs of them at the local hardware for pretty cheap and always have some spare hardware on hand for whatever pops up.

Ran into the same arguments on R/C forums. Some guys liked to scratch build everything, while others thought it was ridiculous to make your own wheels when the hobby shop had a pack for 3$. Different strokes for different folks.

If you can not afford to buy rail buttons you need to find a new hobby. They are about the lowest cost item in this hobby. Most vendors never make money off the shipping cost.

Binder now has some rail 1010 rail buttons... I scored some with my purchases earlier this month... Countersunk screws for a lower profile

I don't use rail buttons, don't fly high power (I'm too poor). But I was wondering if anyone makes something a bit more aerodynamic than cylindrical buttons? Fly-away "buttons" for rail use?

If you can not afford to buy rail buttons you need to find a new hobby. They are about the lowest cost item in this hobby. Most vendors never make money off the shipping cost.

I hate to say it but if $4 shipping for rail buttons is killing you, you might need to reconsider high power as a hobby.

It's not that. I don't mind paying $4 for shipping if I buying more stuff. It's just that I need (actually want, not really need) ONE set of rail buttons for an upcoming build. Paying $4 for shipping ONE set of buttons is like paying $6 for a box of M&M's at the movie theater when you can get the same thing at Dollar Tree for $1.

Okay, maybe a bad analogy, but golly :oops:, you guys are busting my balls for asking a simple question about a simple, home made alternative for a component rather than buying from a vendor.

I guess my dad taught me to figure things out rather than take the easy way out. Sometimes, yes, the easy way is just that, the easy way...but it's not necessarily the best way. Is the best way to buy pre-made derlin or nylon buttons? Probably. But what's wrong with trying? If everyone just bought, and didn't even try, we'd all be flying already built, plastic fin can, 3 (or 4) FNC rockets.

What happened to ingenuity?

What happened to "Hmmm...I think I could make that just as easy as buying it"?

What happened to "Hey Jon, you know others have tried that, but there's really nothing available at Lowe's or Home Depot that fits the 1010 rail well enough, so unless you have a way to mill them out of a block of delrin or nylon, or a 3D printer that can print the tolerances and requisite smoothness that rail buttons really should have, it might be better to just wait until you have a larger order to justify a higher shipping cost."

?

wow-i-mean-just-wow.jpg

I know this is an old post, but I fully agree with the OP on all points made. Many times I make my own things in this hobby because shipping kills the price benefit of buying it already made. I’ve printed a lot of my own items and I also get told, “if you cannot afford to buy it you need a new hobby.”

It’s not about affordability, it’s about throwing money away when another alternative is available. Why would I spend $6 to buy, ship and wait for buttons if I can print them for practically free with a couple hours of tinkering?

Also, this is a hobby. I like scratch building as much can as I can. It feels more like an accomplishment. I would never demean someone else if they didn’t do what I do.* It’s their hobby to do what they want with it too.

Anyway, OP - what did you end up doing anyway? I have the same question.

*unless it’s a safety issue

Back