Is there a cruise missile rocket model

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

modeler

Reaction score
Understand you have to launch rocket 30d upright, but is this the reason that no one make cruise missile rocket model.

Understand you have to launch rocket 30d upright, but is this the reason that no one make cruise missile rocket model.

Estes and Quest both made cruise missle style rockets, Estes did an ALCM and Quest did a Tomahawk, both are flown vertical like other rockets.

Neither of those are exactly scale though. The forward fins play havoc with the CP since they're made for flight duration instead of boost alignment. I'm noodling around with a modified LOC Cruiser design for L2, but getting it exactly scale will require more monkeying than I'm willing to throw at it when the time comes.

They are well designed kits, my point was just that they aren't scale. If you overlay a tomahawk diagram over the kit plans, the forward wings are straighter, longer, and in some cases further forward.

Adjustments have been made for stability. If you want scale you will have to design it yourself and adjust the CG as required.

Another iron is to make the forward wings free to pivot to maintain zero angle of attack. This way they may be ignored for cp.

Another iron is to make the forward wings free to pivot to maintain zero angle of attack. This way they may be ignored for cp.

You can't ignore the pivoting wings, because they still act on the body and cause drag, but there's a lesser effect on the CP than fixed wings.

You can't ignore the pivoting wings, because they still act on the body and cause drag, but there's a lesser effect on the CP than fixed wings.

I would imagine this is highly dependent on where the pivot is located in the front half of the canard span.

Well, good built. But do you really believe the cp vs cg thing. Never had any RC airplane hobbies tell you cp. They only way the cg should be slightly before the lift center of wing chord, so the tail of airplane can auto correct the AOA. What the difference btw cruise missile and an airplane really

Do you mean why don't kit makers make a model of one or why don't people model them?

I've done a small and large AGM-86A alcm, the wing chord is slightly wider than scale for the A model which was shorter and had a wider chord wing, as rc rocket gliders and I've done bomarcs, both are cruise missiles. The problem for rocket gliders is that most cruise missiles have wings that are too small and long/thin, for rockets wings mean you need to move your cg further forward for unguided flight...For using pivoted fins on an unguided rocket, you still have to count the area ahead of the pivot point as impacting the CP.

The beginning of this video shows some alcm flights.

[video=youtube;YbLrrzGKOq4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbLrrzGKOq4&t=83s[/video]

Here are some bomarc flights.

[video=youtube;W57XVpWSalg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W57XVpWSalg[/video]

205eaf4c77cff1c3a487f08be058268c.jpg

2014_Sheridan_7D-24.jpg

C__Data_Users_DefApps_Windows Phone_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_Silverton-18.jpg

Last edited:
Well, good built. But do you really believe the cp vs cg thing. Never had any RC airplane hobbies tell you cp. They only way the cg should be slightly before the lift center of wing chord, so the tail of airplane can auto correct the AOA. What the difference btw cruise missile and an airplane really

If you're going to turn it into a Boosted Glider, you can probably get something closer to a cruise missile. That's where the closer CG/CP relationship helps generate lift and keep the thing in the air. But a straight up-and-down model rocket wants the CP sufficiently behind the CG to Keep the Thing pointing up. No lifts or spins desired.

Back