Is the Top Flight standard gauge nylon chute to stiff?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4regt4

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
First off, I suspect the problem I'm having isn't an issue with large chutes. But...

I have a 15" Top Flight standard gauge nylon chute. Taking it out of the package for the first time, it is resistant to unfolding. I mean, I can stretch it out, but it basically cures back up on the fold lines. I've tried stretching and putting under weights. (Being a bachelor, I don't own a clothes iron...)

If I fold it very loosely in a manner like I normally would and do a "swing test" (grab the shroud lines, give a quick snap and then rapidly twirl around), it doesn't open. Stays in a wad. Basically looking like the way it was originally packed. Attaching about 8 oz. of weight and tossing off my deck for a 25' fall, it stays in a wad. And that's not even folding it.

The thin mil Top Flight chutes give me no problem, nor do ones from Apogee and Aerotech. Just this thick 15" Top Flight.

Ideas?

Hans.

I stopped using TF chutes because of the bulk. Haven't had a problem with them working though. Try washing it in hot water and hang to dry. Or put it in a dryer on low or no heat after it's wet. Are you Z folding the chute?
First off, I suspect the problem I'm having isn't an issue with large chutes. But...

I have a 15" Top Flight standard gauge nylon chute. Taking it out of the package for the first time, it is resistant to unfolding. I mean, I can stretch it out, but it basically cures back up on the fold lines. I've tried stretching and putting under weights. (Being a bachelor, I don't own a clothes iron...)

If I fold it very loosely in a manner like I normally would and do a "swing test" (grab the shroud lines, give a quick snap and then rapidly twirl around), it doesn't open. Stays in a wad. Basically looking like the way it was originally packed. Attaching about 8 oz. of weight and tossing off my deck for a 25' fall, it stays in a wad. And that's not even folding it.

The thin mil Top Flight chutes give me no problem, nor do ones from Apogee and Aerotech. Just this thick 15" Top Flight.

Ideas?

Hans.

I stopped using TF chutes because of the bulk. Haven't had a problem with them working though. Try washing it in hot water and hang to dry. Or put it in a dryer on low or no heat after it's wet. Are you Z folding the chute?
Not really folding it in any specific manner. Mostly trying to get it to unfurl from it's original packaged fold lines. If I try to lay it flat, pick it up by the shroud lines, it self folds. Then if I swing it in the air, or drop it from my deck, it stays folded.

I'd like to find someone who would trade for a thin mil. Probably ain't going to happen, they sent a pink one.

Hans.

Not really folding it in any specific manner. Mostly trying to get it to unfurl from it's original packaged fold lines. If I try to lay it flat, pick it up by the shroud lines, it self folds. Then if I swing it in the air, or drop it from my deck, it stays folded.

I'd like to find someone who would trade for a thin mil. Probably ain't going to happen, they sent a pink one.

Hans.
PM me your address and I'll send you an Apogee 15". I have an over abundance of chutes. When I first started building I bought a chute for every rocket before I realized how expensive that would be. So, I have many duplicates.

too stiff, when an exaggeration is used;), yes it's 3am and I'm nitpicking things to no end.
I quit using that brand after all the lines broke from a late delay on my Level 1 attempt. the lines are just too thin/small.

I had a pressure separation after motor burn out that shredded the drogue and left a nasty zipper. The 9lbs rocket was then falling at 110mph when the main deployed, a 58" TopFlight Standard. I thought my rocket would be forever destroyed, but the main, with its thin lines, HELD and saved my rocket and provided a safe recovery. Maybe the way I folded it helped, maybe I was just lucky, but I definitely have a new respect for these chutes. YMMV

too stiff, when an exaggeration is used;), yes it's 3am and I'm nitpicking things to no end.
I quit using that brand after all the lines broke from a late delay on my Level 1 attempt. the lines are just too thin/small.
Yes, I noticed that after posting. There are a couple of sticky keys on this keyboard, the "o" and the spacebar among them....

Hans,

So you think the chute is no good because your rocket deployed way to late?

too late. 👍
not at all, I just prefer to have heavier/stronger lines. I have several rockets that have that brand in them.

Spelling Nazi? Before you criticize another's error, you may want to visit capitalization rules and get your own house in order.

Top Flight chutes are excellent. Don't screw up and they work as designed.

I like the stiffness of these chutes, it helps them spring open and fill with air. I had some from North Coast Rocketry that were made of softer nylon and they were prone to squidding.

apologies to the OP as I didn't give a response to your question. I think it is very supple and easy to pack.

Back