Is the secret out yet?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by nomopbo
he and Shrox will be going camping together in the not so distant future.;)

Anyone remember the SNL skit "Canteen Boy"?

Scary thought, eh?

CTimm

Jim tries his hand at Street Luge!!!!

Film at eleven!!!

CTimm

I always wanted one of those ALIEN 8s! I haven't even got all my parts for my SHX-15B yet!:( :( John, I thought maybe that was you at NARAM in the picture of the family with the SHROX X-15? :eek:

Originally posted by billEblurzz
I always wanted one of those ALIEN 8s! I haven't even got all my parts for my SHX-15B yet!:( :( John, I thought maybe that was you at NARAM in the picture of the family with the SHROX X-15? :eek:

Email me with your address, I am guessing it is the body tube?

Nope...not me Bill.

But it looks like they have a few good birds sitting there. I recognize the SHX-15B, a Duece's Wild, and a Cherokee D.

I'm still here in Oklahoma...melting in the 100+degF heat.

John

Yea, I saw that pic last night...

That rocket in the review looks familar... I think there might have been one at the last CMASS launch?

Well, theres still a LITTLE suspense... Still waiting on the edge of my seat for Jim to come to this thread and make his announcement... Finnaly. ;) :p

I just got back from NARAM where I stopped by the FlisKits booth and asked Jim about the big secret. He told me what it was. It is xdflkjdaleraelkj;real;kejr ael;rjl;akjralkj ajrakelj;ra. Unbelievable, huh?

Wow. Don't know how that last post came out so garbled. Must be the encryption feature built into TRF to protect vendor secrets. Let me try again. Jim said 110101000011010111010000011111000110101010100011111, but only if Shrox behaves himself.

Seriously now. Jim didn't swear me to secrecy, so here it is: Yes, there is a kit involved. It is an Alien 8. But what he said after that is probably the bigger news. Since I don't know the exact nature of the relationship it would be foolish for me to try to characterize it. But suffice to say that there is more to the Shrox/Flis relationship than one kit.

Cmon, you must be able to me more spescific than *THAT*! :(

Originally posted by illini868891
Seriously now. Jim didn't swear me to secrecy, so here it is: Yes, there is a kit involved. It is an Alien 8. But what he said after that is probably the bigger news. Since I don't know the exact nature of the relationship it would be foolish for me to try to characterize it. But suffice to say that there is more to the Shrox/Flis relationship than one kit.

Whoo hoo! :)

Originally posted by Neil
Cmon, you must be able to me more spescific than *THAT*! :(

As I said, it would be foolish for me to try to characterize it...will leave that to Flis and/or Shrox. But the implication is that this is the beginning of what will hopefully be a long term relationship whereby you will see Shrox designs sold via FlisKits. Truly a win-win for all of us as you unite two of the premier designers under one banner. What could be better?

Then be foolish. ;) I wanna know tonight... :( I dont think Jim will be home for a few days now... :(

Originally posted by Neil
Then be foolish. ;)

All that really matters is that you'll see more Shrox coming through FlisKits. The nature of their business arrangement doesn't much matter does it?

illini868891,
It's gonna be funny when Neil gets the full scoop. Rather ironic actually.;)

Well then give me the whole dang scoop so I can be teh laughingstock TRF... :kill: ;)

Oh, and I was at least half right when I made one of my guesses... Partway down this page, i said "maybe Shrox is selling his plans to Fliskits to market" or something... :)

Oh, so is Fliskits just marketing the one design? I thought this was bigger.... Like one company sold to the other or something like the big banking companys do all the time... :rolleyes:

Still great news, though!

OK, as Nomopbo advertised, you can all laugh yerselves silly now. ;) :p

No one is laughing at you Neil. You seem like a young'un waiting for Christmas morning. Nothing wrong with that. I'm sure you arent the only one.

When I said it will be funny when you get the scoop, I mean what your reaction will be. Your reaction will be funny.

How many more days 'till Christmas?:p

Okay here it is. I don't want Neil to wet his pants, so I'm going to give you the complete unvarnished truth. Absolutely everything I know - as unbelievable as it might seem - so help me God.

The truth is that Flis and Shrox have joined forces and combined their enormous hobby fortunes in order to make a stab at the X-Prize. You can't begin to imagine the financial resources they have at their disposal. They've kept it quiet in order to lull the Rutan folks into a sense of complacency and to keep competitors from spying on their design. However, now that Rutan has announced a date for an attempt at the X-Prize they feel they can come out of the closet (as it were). Bottom line is that we're not just talking about an Alien 8. We're talking about a huge honkin' full-scale Alien 8 powered by the biggest cluster of AP motors you can imagine. The kit is intended to be a marketing spinoff for the big event to help them recover some of their expenses. Why would Shrox and Flis risk their enormous fortunes to take on Rutan and Space Ship One? Simple. These guys are philanthropists at heart and their greatest love, rocketry, is under attack. They are convinced - and after listening to Jim I am too - that the surest way to convince both the government of the safety and - dare I say - security of hobby rocket motors is to win the X-Prize using nothing BUT hobby rocket motors. What better ambassadors could we have for our hobby than Flis, Shrox, and Vern Estes (who is to be the third passenger) as they emerge from the a successful flight of a full-scale Alien 8? Regarding Vern Estes as the third passenger, I myself witnessed the sealing of the deal yesterday when I first arrived at NARAM, took a quick look at the FlisKits booth, and noticed Vern and Gleda Estes chatting it up with Jim. Nearly wet my diaper when I heard what they were talking about. I confronted Jim with it later when I stopped by and picked up an ACME Spitfire kit. He initially fed me some bull about FlisKits selling Shrockets. But confronting him with what I heard caused him to spill the beans...all of them. Here's one more historical fact for you. Turns out the ACME Spitfire was NOT, I repeat NOT in fact inspired by a Far Side cartoon. The ACME Spitfire kit is actually a scale model of an early X-Prize design by Jim when he was going it alone. It was after this design failed so miserably that he decided to team up with Shrox. The result is now what appears to be a working concept for attacking the X-Prize.

And THAT, is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Originally posted by illini868891
Okay here it is. I don't want Neil to wet his pants, so I'm going to give you the complete unvarnished truth. Absolutely everything I know - as unbelievable as it might seem - so help me God.

The truth is that Flis and Shrox have joined forces and combined their enormous hobby fortunes in order to make a stab at the X-Prize. **SNIP**

And THAT, is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

ROFLMAO!!!

Supremely funny! Ahh...I needed that today :D

LOL!

(neil goes and changes his pants :D)

I know you were just kidding, and so was I.

Laugh all ya want, though...

But christmas was supposta be LAST NIGHT!!! WAAAHH!!!

Who be the big nasty grinch who stole Christmas!? :( ;) :p

WELL......

Cmon, its Friday!!! I was expecting Christmas Morning Wednsday night!!!

Your making one little youngun vewy vewy upset... :( ;) :D :p

/neil gives Jim his "puppy eyes"

puhleeeze tell poor wikkle Neil whats going on...

He only wants to know whats going on in his hobby's news...

:D Hows that for Mr Innocent? :D

Really now... We were supposed to know by Wednsday... Whats going on with Fliskits and Shrox Industria? :confused:

Latest posts

Back