Is openmotor safe?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshmallow

Reaction score
when i downloaded openmotor it says that type of file can harm my computer. is that something i have to be worried about? also when i try to open it it says i need to install a JDK. what is a JDK?

I wouldn't worry about it. What it means when it says it can harm your computer, is that if the program was written by a malicious person, it could contain malware. I trust OpenMotor and don't think I've ever heard of anyone getting malware from it yet.

If I remember correctly, JDK stands for Java Development Kit. Make sure you find the right version for your operating system, but it should be free and easy to install.

openMotor creator here. I think you might be talking about OpenRocket, because it is a Java program and requires a JDK (Java Developer Kit). openMotor is provided as a native executable and doesn't require anything else to run.

OpenRocket is for simulating rocket flight, while openMotor simulates when happens inside of a motor. The output from openMotor can be fed into OpenRocket to go all the way from propellant properties to altitude!

To answer your original question, yes, both openMotor and OpenRocket are safe and I use both all the time.

openMotor creator here. I think you might be talking about OpenRocket, because it is a Java program and requires a JDK (Java Developer Kit). openMotor is provided as a native executable and doesn't require anything else to run.

OpenRocket is for simulating rocket flight, while openMotor simulates when happens inside of a motor. The output from openMotor can be fed into OpenRocket to go all the way from propellant properties to altitude!

To answer your original question, yes, both openMotor and OpenRocket are safe and I use both all the time.
Thanks for clarifying things. I agree that both openMotor and OpenRocket are wonderful tools that I have installed.

ok so i downloaded JDK from this link:
https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase-jdk15-downloads.htmli got the "macOS Compressed Archive"
so i downlaoded it and it is expanded and stuff, and when i open the openrocket it gives me the same message that i need a jdk. is there something else i have to do?
im not that good at computers
You do not need to install the JDK for OpenRocket if you use the link that timbucktoo provided above, and either way the one you just linked to will not work because the current version of OR requires JDK8.

Here's the link again: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threa...d-mac-to-solve-all-your-java-problems.143540/. Strongly urge you to use it.

absolutely incredible! for some reason the version i downloaded from the official website did not work but this one did. thank u so much!

Why when I put the Core Diameter parameter in the BATES choice of grain option, does the OpenMotor program aborts without so much explanation?

in GrainPreviewWidget class I marked the lines as comments (python file in ..OpenRocket\OpenMotor\openMotor-staging\uilib\widgets):
43 def updateView(self, data):
44 coreIm, regImage, contours, contourLengths = data
46 self.ui.tabFace.cleanup()
47 self.ui.tabFace.showImage(coreIm)
49 # if regImage is not None:
50 # self.ui.tabRegression.cleanup()
51 # self.ui.tabRegression.showImage(regImage)
52 # self.ui.tabRegression.showContours(contours)
54 # points = [[], []]
56 # for k in contourLengths.keys():
57 # points[0].append(k)
58 # points[1].append(contourLengths[k])
60 # self.ui.tabAreaGraph.cleanup()
61 # self.ui.tabAreaGraph.showGraph(points)

and more in the GrainPreviewGraph class, I did the same (python file in ..OpenRocket\OpenMotor\openMotor-staging\uilib\widgets):
35 def cleanup(self):
36 if self.image is not None:
37 self.image.remove()
38 self.image = None
39 # if self.numContours > 0:
40 # for _ in range(0, self.numContours):
41 # self.plot.lines.pop(0)
42 # self.numContours = 0

I missed the possibility to use Regression and Area Graph but it worked well with these changes.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back