Is nomex washable?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWRackers

Reaction score
Are nomex pads used to protect our parachutes typically washable? If so, does it matter if they're hand-washed or machine-washed? I used the one I bought for my L3 project today when doing the recovery system ground test, and it's pretty dark now with BP residue.

I've washed kevlar pads in the washing machine. I would imagine you could do the same with nomex.

Nomex is often made into clothing for fire fighters and forest service uniforms. It certainly ought to be washable.

Are nomex pads used to protect our parachutes typically washable? If so, does it matter if they're hand-washed or machine-washed? I used the one I bought for my L3 project today when doing the recovery system ground test, and it's pretty dark now with BP residue.

For the most part yes.

i use aramid, which is similiar to nomex, washed it quite a few times with no problems so far

Nomex is washable, just do not use fabric softener. I put mine in a old pillow case tye it shut and toss them in the washer.

Are nomex pads used to protect our parachutes typically washable? ....

From Dupont:
"Nomex(R) is inherently flame resistant and you cannot wash out the FR properties."

(FR is flame resistant). I am not sure about the colour running, so I would do a test spot or wash them on their own.

From Dupont:
"Nomex(R) is inherently flame resistant and you cannot wash out the FR properties."

(FR is flame resistant). I am not sure about the colour running, so I would do a test spot or wash them on their own.

One other thing... I certainly wouldn't wash it with anything else!!! Kinda wastes water to run it in a load 'by itself' but I wouldn't want BP residue in my whitey-tighties if you know what I mean... LOL:)

Wouldn't hurt to run an extra rinse cycle when you're done too... :) OL JR :)

Yes, and so are shock cords and chutes. I soak them in the sink or tub depending on size and hang them to dry.

Don't forget to wipe out your tubes and altimeter bays occasionally to remove residue also! For that I use a damped rag or baby wipe.

As a wildland fire fighter I can tell you for sure that nomex is washable, but use a light amount of soap and thouroghly rinse it out. And yes nomix in inherently flame resistant (not flame proof) however soap is neither so make sure you remove all soap after washing. Hand or machine should work, machine would probably be better.

Dan

Back