Is it Perfect or not?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimJarvis50

Reaction score
I have a couple of PerfectflightCF altimeters. When I turn them on, I get 10 low-pitch beeps. Then, the altimeter boots up as normal. I can't find anything in the manual that describes what these beeps are. I believe the altimeters are working properly, and the most recent "flights" on them were vacuum cleaner tests to verify function. I just don't know what the beeps are. I have an email into Perfectflight, but I thought someone here might know.

Jim

That is the number of the program you have selected. It should be 1 to 9, not 10 as there is no program 0. You can use the PROG button to change to which ever program you want without plugging it into a computer.
If there was an error on the previous flight, you will get a siren sound and then the error code.

It talks about that on page 28 of the manual. The errors are listed on page 17 and there are only 6.

That is the number of the program you have selected. It should be 1 to 9, not 10 as there is no program 0. You can use the PROG button to change to which ever program you want without plugging it into a computer.
If there was an error on the previous flight, you will get a siren sound and then the error code.

It talks about that on page 28 of the manual. The errors are listed on page 17 and there are only 6.
Here's a few more details on what I'm hearing.

10 low-frequency beeps, like what you hear when the altimeter is changing to a new parameter.
Pause
1 low-frequency beep (a new parameter being reported)
1 high frequency beep, then 10 high frequency beeps (the number 10)
Pause
3 high-frequency beeps (the preset that is selected)
The number 700, corresponding to the preset

Etc.

The initial 10 low beeps, and then reporting the number 10, are simply not described in the manual. Everything after reporting the preset of 3 is as normal. There is no siren associated with an error code.

Jim

Doesn't that mean that the previous flight had an altitude of 0 and a speed of 0? Which I admit seems odd.

When you download the last flight's data, what does it look like?

This might happen if a test didn't get to the minimum altitude required for launch detect, which the manual implies is 160 feet.

Doesn't that mean that the previous flight had an altitude of 0 and a speed of 0? Which I admit seems odd.

When you download the last flight's data, what does it look like?

This might happen if a test didn't get to the minimum altitude required for launch detect, which the manual implies is 160 feet.
The previous "flights" were vacuum cleaner flights, which means sucking on the barometric sensor (generating an altitude of about 3K), observing the apogee event and then the main event. These don't look like normal flights though. I did that on both of these altimeters, and they both have the 10 beeps. So, I assume this has something to do with those test flights. But there is nothing in the manual that mentions it.

Jim

All I can say is that this is normal documented behavior if the last flight was 0/0, unless you're seeing something I'm not.

It turns out that the 10 beeps are a check of the battery voltage. It's a feature that isn't in the manual, but now comes as an insert to the manual. Basically, if the battery voltage is too low - determined by an internal check - the warning is issued. I was just checking the altimters with a used battery, and this is why I got the warning.

Jim

Back