Is it ok to use old reloads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donaldsrockets

Reaction score
I just received an older H180W marketed by ISP (Industrial Solid Propulsion). It looks like it's in good condition with really no noticeable oxidizing on the propellant grains. It does have the older style delay element (medium delay) and two plastic delay insulators, I guess this is what concerns me. Maybe it shouldn't.

I would think the reload would still be in fine condition, the question is; is the ISP version still certed....I would think it would be

Hey Donald--

I still have ISP H128s that I load into my ISP 29/180 casing w/o problem.

The only thing to consider (imho) is replacing the delay column. The original delay stack wasn't radially sealed. Aerotech improved the technology over the last few years.

--Alex

take a close look at the grains. if you see whitish spotty "stuff", that's surface oxidation. you can take that off with sandpaper. I use a nail file because I can get in the grain slot. also they are cheap and don't clog like sandpaper.

Originally posted by cls
take a close look at the grains. if you see whitish spotty "stuff", that's surface oxidation. you can take that off with sandpaper. I use a nail file because I can get in the grain slot. also they are cheap and don't clog like sandpaper.

I agree, I fly some of the older 18mm B and C reloads. I had some problems getting them to light until I started scraping the inside of the grain a bit to get the oxidation off.

Scott

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
Isnt that motor modification?

I don't think so. I am sure I have seen at least one manufacturer cite this a standard practice. If someone is concerned, they could contact Aerotech directly.

Len Bryan

I dont think so at all, you are only rubbing the motor, that happens anyway in the bag rolling around in your range box. You arent really doing anything extreme at all so I would definantly say no

Originally posted by Donaldsrockets
I just received an older H180W marketed by ISP (Industrial Solid Propulsion). It looks like it's in good condition with really no noticeable oxidizing on the propellant grains. It does have the older style delay element (medium delay) and two plastic delay insulators, I guess this is what concerns me. Maybe it shouldn't.

Should be OK. I would replace the delay with a new RDK+ style one though. For a medium on the load I think its a RDK+5 delay.

Al

Originally posted by Ryan S.
even the edge of your shirt works well

I wonder where you got that idea from ;).

The older motors will be harder to ignite, other than that they should be fine. I also agree going with a newer delay grain, using the plus system instead. They are more reliable, easier to install, and easier to clean up since it leaves less residue on the closure.

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
Isnt that motor modification?

I do not think that scraping off oxidation would be considered a modification as the motor is in no way altered.
Now some people paint the inside of the grains with pyrogen to make them easier to ignight. Some say its a mod and others do not. This one I can see as it may be a mod but not removing oxidation.

Scott

Another thing I do to help with old motors is install a bumper grain. I take a sliver of blue thunder propellant, and wedge it in the top of the grain. I have instand ignition on very old D9's (made back in the day where they used o-rings for delay spacers, and outer and inner o-rings to seal the delay well), D13's, and H165 Redline motors. I do not cconsider this altering the motor because the bumper grain is part of the igniter.

Back