Is it a Goon if....?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K'Tesh

.....OpenRocket's ..... "Chuck Norris"
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Inquiring mind wants to use different cone...

Is it a true Goon if you don't use the Bertha nose cone?

What if you can find a cone that isn't the original (or upscale/downscale) that retains some of the original sense of the nosecone?

I ask, because I found just such a cone (and it'll free up the Bertha for another build).

Thanks
Jim

Well, first, it's just a categorization question. Whatever nose you use, it can end up being a cool rocket, and that's what matters.

My personal practice for designs I want to call "goony" rockets, is to use a 5 or 6" section of BT60 tube, and a 60MS or 60L nose. Beyond that, I'll do anything, sometimes ending up with a rocket that is very long - like I did with a goony version of the Fliskits TOG. My practice is largely driven by the original Gooniebird rockets from Estes, which had the longer 60L Bertha nose (which has been replaced by the shorter 60MS Bertha nose), and used 5" BT-60 tubes (which are not very stable with 18mm engines, so I added another inch).

But, if I ever saw a goony made by your practices, I'd not say "Buuuuut, it's got the wrong nose cone." I'd much rather say "Wow! That's cool. How'd you get it balanced?"

Edit: I should add that I've been considering to use the 60MX nose also, and still call it a goony. It's the one from some plastic lander rocket that Estes made long ago, and which I still have. It's more conical than elliptical, and has the same general profile as the elliptical 60MS. I just haven't finished a design which would use it, yet.

Last edited:
Thanks David,

Both for the info, and the compliment.

My Cherokee G(oon) is increasingly likely to get one of the nosecones used in the old Loadstar/Warp II rockets (Estes PNC-60NA). Now if I can only match that shade of red...

nose-0011.jpg

As for balance? Weeeellll... I'll have to work on that.

All the Best!
Jim

Last edited:
If it still looks "GOONY" then use whatever nose cone looks good.

See, the thing with goonys is there are no rules.

I took a family photo... Any guess on which one is the goon?

I hope it is as good as a flier as it looks (ok, a better flier than it looks) ;)

All the Best!
Jim

I have 1 goony, a scratch Mergoony Redstone...Mercury Goonstone...Mercury Redgoon...see? Some are a real problem nameing, they are all good ;)

So if one was to build a rocket that might look like a goony version of the original but actually be an upscale, could said rocket still be called a Goony?

Last edited:
Here is my Baby Bertha with a Loadstar/Warp II nosecone. I think it looks really neat. I also think that if you put on some rounded fins like the logo and a tapered tail cone it would give it a '50's retro look!
DSCN2194.jpgDSCN2195.jpg

I am going to build a Black Brant II Goon someday. Conical but Stubby Nose Cone will be needed, and I'll have to make a Tail Cone.

The Goonies were based off of the less useful Bertha nose cone. I never cared much for that blunt look but it seems to fit the Goony squadron quite nicely. It truly IS a mater of choice, but Goony fashion screams for that 60 L nose cone. It's kinda like the animated version of a said design. The 60 L gives the best representation of Goony fashion.

I have 1 goony, a scratch Mergoony Redstone...Mercury Goonstone...Mercury Redgoon...see? Some are a real problem nameing, they are all good ;)

Hey, do you have any photos of your Mergoony/Goonstone/Redgoon?

Back