Is Hawk Mountain still around?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Raptor is a very cool rocket. Old school in some ways, but it was also way ahead of it's time back in the day. Still unique.

It's billed as a "minimum diameter" 29mm rocket. But..........they actually use a motor mount tube. Basically the motor mount pretty much just fits inside the airframe. So the actual OD of the airframe is not entirely "minimum". However, what's cool about it is that that OD happens to be exactly the same as the OD of a Slimline retainer. So you can have a very slick threaded retainer on your "minimum diameter" rocket. Sweet.

Beyond that, they used thinwall tubing way ahead of most folks, and they also used an orange colored resin, so the tubes look pretty sweet unpainted. The molded nosecone uses the same resin so that looks pretty cool unpainted as well. Bear in mind that the nose cone and airframe are a matched pair....they really only fit each other (so you can't use any other aftermarket cones).

They ARE still in business as far as I know. The website hasn't been updated in something like a hundred and fifty seven years, but you can still buy rockets and bits from them. Check em' out, get something cool from them, and have fun building and flying it.

Here's my (partially kitbashed) Raptor........

Phantic pics.jpg

ssix

That is sweet!

Does this one have the optional payload extension? (I think I see an altimeter...)

And the fins are different than on the site.

Just give Allan a call he will help you out. Most of the time HM will order chutes about 2 times a year so yes he is still around.

Mine does have a payload section. I made my own AV coupler, glued in to the payload airframe and made to accept a Featherweight 29mm AV bay (and a Raven of course). It's actually a little trickier than standard as that coupler has interior shoulders for the FW bulkheads. I also made my own motor mount (same tubing, made with Soller Composites sleeves).

And yes, I reshaped and profiled the fins too. I pretty much always do this when I build kits.

And, blasphemous I know but, I actually added rail buttons to this (in matching translucent orange!). I wanted to fly it on normal rails, and don't have s tower launcher that fits.

BTW, this rocket may be up for sale very soon.
More info on this coming shortly.

ssix

Last edited:
Back