Is Flying Cars in Our Future?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one question: If people struggle mightily to handle cars in 2 dimensions what do we expect when we give them a 3rd dimension to navigate?

I have never seen the potential for the average driver acquiring a license to fly RESPONSIBLY let alone afford to maintain a flying vehicle. Surely it must be maintained as well and often as any aircraft in order to ensure safety standards are being met. Too many people let their own cars run on the brink of falling apart as it is. Just not feasible for the average Joe.

Something currently unknown would have to be discovered in order for that to happen. Right now, gravity is just too much of a challenge. We would need a very lightweight fuel, mega-backup systems, a VTOL mechanism....

So, no, unless we learn how to efficiently overcome gravity along with making it safe and economical.

Just think of how many people drive their regular cars while buzzed because "I'll be fine, I'm in control".

Although the people likely to afford this will probably have their own flying car chauffer anyway.

Ahhh, that's probably what people said about regular cars. :wink: And submarines, and nuclear missiles, and gunpowder, and ....

That's funny. I remember learning in school when trains hit 30 mph people were afraid to ride on them.
They thought going that fast will kill them, lol.
We now can break 300+ mph in 5 seconds, and max out at about 8 miles per second.
In Earths low atmosphere of coarse.

Ahhh, that's probably what people said about regular cars. :wink: And submarines, and nuclear missiles, and gunpowder, and ....

Yeah but this is different. I do not doubt technologically it could be done although that tech is a long way off...But I just question whether we as a species can handle it? Seriously, flying cars are going to have to be completely and utterly automated from take off to landing otherwise it really will be disaster. I work in road construction so I see up close how well/poorly people can handle flat roads and I shudder to think what it would be like if they could go up and down as well. :y:

Just think of how many people drive their regular cars while buzzed because "I'll be fine, I'm in control".

In 20 years, we won't be in control of our cars anymore. Drinking and driving will no longer be a problem.

Self driving cars are a prerequisite for flying cars.

I'll go along with that. There are self parking cars, auto braking cars, over the center line warning cars.
I wonder how long it will take before you have to blow into a tube before you can start your engine?
Check for drinking and other illegal substances.

True, but you'd likely reconsider with the one huge difference we see now ... idiots driving while talking or texting on their cell phones! :)

I think this flying cars are a great idea, just with very little plausibility behind them. It would be amazing to see cars takeoff and land vertically but there are numerous problems that go along with it. Beyond engineering difficulties, just the organization of floating roadways would be tremendously difficult since everyone would want to beeline directly to their destination. This brings up countless other safety concerns that add upon tons other that I haven't mentioned. So no, I do not believe that flying cars will actually become a thing in any time period soon.

I certainly hope not. The drivers out here can barely handle 2 dimensions as it is. You add bad weather, and most can't handle it at all. Besides, do you really want to get stuck in the fast lane, behind the equivalent of a winged Prius?

Phil L.

I believe, if flying cars come to be, will be operated on a mono rail system. You will hook into a train of cars. This will work only for long distance travel, of coarse.
So you car will also have to be ground based.
The paint on you car will actually be a flexible light absorbing filament coating that charges your batteries.
Most likely the smallest will be size of the largest SUV today, and mostly synthetic plastic that absorbs impacts and returns to shape.
As sq ft becomes a premium on land, you will see stacked mono rails. There will be no exits, just sidings like stations to, "Get on or Off".
Of coarse, this will all be done by tax payers dollars, on loan, for our future generation to worry about.
Because everyone knows, idea's come fast than $$

The future does promise it. Weren't we supposed to have them by now, according to the 'futurists' of the 50's & 60's?

I do believe self driving cars will be available in my life time, looking forward to that. At least your own self driving car for marked roads, or an automated transport system within large cities..

Two things I'd love to see, three actually, in the very near future:
1) We all have a smart phone / cell phone, and that phone is smart enough to know when it's moving & at what speed. (Google maps uses the data to give us "traffic reports"). Why then, can't the cell phone turn itself off, or mute it's functions when it's perceived speed passes 20mph? Yea, I know.. what if you're a passenger in the car.. what if you're on the bus, what if..

2) With all the new "safety features & dribving enhancements" coming out, to help parallel park, to help avoid collision, to avoid straying out of your lane.. (We are becoming lazy!! and these skill are being lost) Why can't cars start giving us reminders, to break bad habits.. How about a reminder to use the indicator when the steering wheel passes 30°, or when we stray from the lane into another one.. And, if we are indeed speeding, a warning that the local speed limit has been violated. Oh yeah, who would buy something like that.. and something about the freedom to drive as I see fit..

3) Drivers should be rated and validated like pilots: a review every 5 years with a review board. More classes to apply for, for the average vehicle (like they do here for motorcycles, for heavy haul trucks..) you'll need a class 5 for a sedan up to a compact SUV, then a class 5A for an SUV, pickup, van, then a 5C for a dual axle pick up, or larger type truck, and a 5D for.. well, you get eth idea.. But again, "I should be able to drive what I want, where I want. regulate the toher people who drive"

The future does promise it. Weren't we supposed to have them by now, according to the 'futurists' of the 50's & 60's?

I do believe self driving cars will be available in my life time, looking forward to that. At least your own self driving car for marked roads, or an automated transport system within large cities..

Two things I'd love to see, three actually, in the very near future:
1) We all have a smart phone / cell phone, and that phone is smart enough to know when it's moving & at what speed. (Google maps uses the data to give us "traffic reports"). Why then, can't the cell phone turn itself off, or mute it's functions when it's perceived speed passes 20mph? Yea, I know.. what if you're a passenger in the car.. what if you're on the bus, what if..

2) With all the new "safety features & dribving enhancements" coming out, to help parallel park, to help avoid collision, to avoid straying out of your lane.. (We are becoming lazy!! and these skill are being lost) Why can't cars start giving us reminders, to break bad habits.. How about a reminder to use the indicator when the steering wheel passes 30°, or when we stray from the lane into another one.. And, if we are indeed speeding, a warning that the local speed limit has been violated. Oh yeah, who would buy something like that.. and something about the freedom to drive as I see fit..

3) Drivers should be rated and validated like pilots: a review every 5 years with a review board. More classes to apply for, for the average vehicle (like they do here for motorcycles, for heavy haul trucks..) you'll need a class 5 for a sedan up to a compact SUV, then a class 5A for an SUV, pickup, van, then a 5C for a dual axle pick up, or larger type truck, and a 5D for.. well, you get eth idea.. But again, "I should be able to drive what I want, where I want. regulate the toher people who drive"

I don't have a smart phone. :)

Maybe in the future, but for the time being I love to roll coal. No pansy's allowed lol. Many people wont like this. Most people like to be behind the wheel and drive the car themselves.

Intriguing. I wasn't aware they still made cars with steam engine.

Tell me your joking? I guess your not a diesel owner. Not so much with the new diesels but with the mid 2000's diesels let say 2007 and older did not have the emission garbage and you could roll coal. That is a term when pressing on the throttle and back puffs of smoke comes out of the exhaust.

Tell me your joking? I guess your not a diesel owner. Not so much with the new diesels but with the mid 2000's diesels let say 2007 and older did not have the emission garbage and you could roll coal. That is a term when pressing on the throttle and back puffs of smoke comes out of the exhaust.

Oh I'm being entirely facetious. I'm aware of the quirks of old diesels.

However, the only people I hear about "rolling coal...." these days are the ones that deliberately remove exhaust emission components or install engine-trick switches (illegal mods) in order to create the effect (absurdly exaggerated too).

Back