IS ESTES 1:100 SATURN V TO BE AVAILABLE IN THE FUTURE?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWP

Reaction score
Is Estes done producing and selling the 1:100 Saturn V? Should have bought one earlier, I know.

If you are talking about the Apollo Saturn V #1969 then, yes, it's OOP.

However, I would expect it to reappear for a limited time in 4-5 years.

Huh? The current Skylab Saturn V just hit the market - hasn’t even been released to their distributors yet...

Thanks. Sorry, I was referring to the Apollo Saturn V.

Pick up a Boyce Aerospace 1/100 Apollo capsule - putting it on top the Skylab Saturn wouldn’t be exactly right but you would have a flyer.

Not to make any serious predictions here, just pure speculation, but since that was a special edition 50th Anniversary Edition, maybe they will do another Saturn V kit release for the 60th Anniversary of Apollo 11 in 2029? Not to say they could also respond to demand and release one earlier, or maybe for the 55th Anniversary in 2024? I bought one #1969 kit for myself, still in the box, and donated one to our school's annual auction fundraiser last year. Definitely planning to get the new Saturn Skylab and Saturn 1B kits this year. Hopefully, there will be plenty of other great new kits released to keep busy with between now and when the next Saturn V kit comes out again.

There's always the RTF 1/200 version:
https://www.erockets.biz/estes-flying-model-rocket-kit-saturn-v-1-200th-scale-2160/
Maybe they might re-release the Dr. Zooch kit someday, in about the same 18mm fun-size, but lighter, so really a great flier on a B or C engine:
https://www.erockets.biz/dr-zooch-flying-model-rocket-kit-11-saturn-v-improved/Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 9.28.11 PM.png

and the MMX FlisKits option:
https://www.fliskits.com/WPRESS/product/mighty-saturn-v/Screen Shot 2020-11-21 at 9.28.38 PM.png

Last edited:
There are always people who bought one and then decided it was not really something they actually wanted to build, so they come up for sale now and then.

Is Estes done producing and selling the 1:100 Saturn V? Should have bought one earlier, I know.

Hit me up with a personal message. I have a few of the previous releases. PM me if interested.

When the news broke about this kit a few months ago, word was that it would also include the parts for making the regular Saturn-V. That is, the Apollo S-IVB wraps, LM shroud, and Apollo CM/SM/LES.

I cannot find that though on any "official" listings from Estes right now. I hope they did not change their minds.

But it would make a lot more sense to be able to make both versions. Because the Saturn-Skylab was a pretty obscure and "niche" vehicle, compared to the original that launched the Apollo lunar missions. And the #1969 kit sure sold out and went OOP pretty quickly.

When the news broke about this kit a few months ago, word was that it would also include the parts for making the regular Saturn-V. That is, the Apollo S-IVB wraps, LM shroud, and Apollo CM/SM/LES.

I cannot find that though on any "official" listings from Estes right now. I hope they did not change their minds.

But it would make a lot more sense to be able to make both versions. Because the Saturn-Skylab was a pretty obscure and "niche" vehicle, compared to the original that launched the Apollo lunar missions. And the #1969 kit sure sold out and went OOP pretty quickly.
Apparently the Skylab Saturn V is Skylab only - it’s available for order on the Estes website with nothing on the box or in the description about including the Apollo parts. There’s been much discussion and speculation as to why with the consensus being it was a casualty of meeting the required retail price point and supplier issues (which is China so chalk up another one to the pandemic). My personal opinion is that Estes will make the Apollo parts available eventually as an accessory to the Skylab kit. We’ll have to wait and see.

I think the limiting factor is how much tooling they have available. It’s difficult to change the mold in each machine without spending a week to recalibrate the machines. They don’t want to spit out a 1000 kits only to find they made an error.

That being said, it sounds like they want to expand their production line and continue to rerelease old kits (ie, Mars Snooper) for us nostalgia enthusiasts. The current internship program will allow them to expand more in the coming years.

If one really wants a Saturn V, just buy a Estes Shroud, Boyce Aerospace Apollo Capsule and E-Rockets BT58 body tube, this will get you very close.

Get the Estes Saturn Skylab #1973 then order BT58 Body tubes from ERockets, then a Estes LEM Shroud and then order Boyce Aerospace Apollo Capsule set unless Estes restocks.

Attachments

• Estes Shroud.png
    Estes Shroud.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 9
  • BT 58 tubing.jpeg
    BT 58 tubing.jpeg
    2 KB · Views: 10
  • Apollo Capsule.png
    Apollo Capsule.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 9
That's what's a bit amazing to me. For instance, long ago when my kids were starting to need cars, a friend of mine suggested the old air cooled Volkswagen Beetle, as he said, "Becasue you could build one almost completely just ordering parts from J. C. Whitney!" (props to those who remember those catalogs!)

It seems the case should be similar here - an experienced modeler/designer could build it from parts available all over the place. But I may be being a bit naive. And we aren't all that experienced... I know I'd want to start with a kit.

That's what's a bit amazing to me. For instance, long ago when my kids were starting to need cars, a friend of mine suggested the old air cooled Volkswagen Beetle, as he said, "Becasue you could build one almost completely just ordering parts from J. C. Whitney!" (props to those who remember those catalogs!)

It seems the case should be similar here - an experienced modeler/designer could build it from parts available all over the place. But I may be being a bit naive. And we aren't all that experienced... I know I'd want to start with a kit.
All depends on how true to the prototype you want the final model to be - I don’t know the ins and outs of the tube sizes used on the #2157/1969 Apollo SV versus the #1973 Skylab SV so this discussion is a bit esoteric to me. If it fits some folks (like me) would be fine slapping a Boyce Apollo capsule on top their Skylab Saturn just to have something close to fly - others would rather eat worms before they’d do that.

But I’m the last guy to ask for an opinion - even though I just gave one - I haven’t even started one of my Dr. Zooch SVs or my BMS/Alway version or my #1969...the Skylab Saturn and the 1b will be added to the backlog...

As far as JCW catalogs I remember when you could get the Warshawsky version of the catalog too 😉

Well, yeah, and I'm of the "eat worms" variety, for such a wanna-be. If I had my way I'd figure out some way to fly it with the scale engine nozzles (made of a material that could handle it, of course). I'd water deluge my pad, do a 5 engine cluster, stage it and all! I've even considered a tungsten (heavy alloy) CSM on it's own 'chute to help with the stability. Many thoughts, nothing very well gelled yet. I have a lot to learn, honestly.

One thing I've thought of, though, is that we could collect the many, many threads o'er the years into a dedicated sub-forum, as this is probably one of the most recognizable and desirable rockets to ever build. A compendium of sizes, weights, CG's, CP's, all sorts of stufff as to how you built and flew your Saturn V.

Well, yeah, and I'm of the "eat worms" variety, for such a wanna-be. If I had my way I'd figure out some way to fly it with the scale engine nozzles (made of a material that could handle it, of course). I'd water deluge my pad, do a 5 engine cluster, stage it and all! I've even considered a tungsten (heavy alloy) CSM on it's own 'chute to help with the stability. Many thoughts, nothing very well gelled yet. I have a lot to learn, honestly.

One thing I've thought of, though, is that we could collect the many, many threads o'er the years into a dedicated sub-forum, as this is probably one of the most recognizable and desirable rockets to ever build. A compendium of sizes, weights, CG's, CP's, all sorts of stufff as to how you built and flew your Saturn V.
We, collectively, are a very interesting group and you sir, your level of interesting ROCKS! Maybe a bismuth alloy CSM - it would be a bit easier to shape/form than something as hard as tungsten 😊

If one really wants a Saturn V, just buy a Estes Shroud, Boyce Aerospace Apollo Capsule and E-Rockets BT58 body tube, this will get you very close.

Get the Estes Saturn Skylab #1973 then order BT58 Body tubes from ERockets, then a Estes LEM Shroud and then order Boyce Aerospace Apollo Capsule set unless Estes restocks.
Hmm. that is a lot of ordering from three places, paying shipping three times (The Boyce parts alone are $19.99 plus shipping). I think it MIGHT be cheaper, certainly faster/simpler, to order a 1/100 Saturn-IB to get those parts from. I mean, if you order from AC Supply Co, 40% off, free shipping on orders of $100 or more. It's $42. And the Skylab-Saturn is $59.99.

Can get BOTH for $101.98 with free shipping (not in stock yet but ought to be soon).

https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes-7251-saturn-1b-model-rocket-kit?search=estes saturn
https://www.acsupplyco.com/estes-1973-saturn-v-skylab-model-rocket-kit?search=estes saturn
Then potentially build that Saturn-IB as AS-203 or AS-204. Well, AS-204 would need the LEM shroud. While AS-203 is a "simpler" shape.
Saturn_IB_launch_configurations.jpg

Last edited:
OP'd by @Scott_650:
Maybe a bismuth alloy CSM - it would be a bit easier to shape/form than something as hard as tungsten

Well, I was going off a thread around here somewhere where a fellow successfully lit all 5 of his 24mm motors in a 1:100 Estes (modified) Saturn V - as I recall, he said he need about a kilogram (2.2) lb extra in the nose to get it to fly stably on the scale fins. That's a lot of clay, and my only experience with unusual alloys would be the tungsten heavy alloy used for balance weights on rotating machinery. It's 1.5 x as dense as lead! (ETA: density of .682 lb/in^3 versus steel at .284 lb/in^3 - a 1:100 service module could hold a kilo of the heavy alloy.) And of course, the further forward the better. And I'd love a lower/slower launch with lots of fire, others have mentioned that as a future direction for the hobby in general.

Then, too, long ago I saw someone down in Alabama (I think) who successfully built and flew a 3 stage Saturn V. I think they tucked spring-loaded clear flip-out fins into the previous stage for the upper two stages. It seems with the advancements in electronics, air-start technology and the rest that a really marvelous model could be created. But as I said, I don't even have a kit, much less the certs to build and fly such a beast. I'd have to go at it like they did - perfect the conceptualizing and then practical building/execution of each technique, then eventually go for the gold. Criminee, even managing the laundry on such a model would be quite a feat.

But I can dream.

Last edited:
Okay, to save money, just 3D print the Apollo Capsule:)

A person could make the Shroud the old fashion way to, from heavy card stock along with homemade tube coupler to save money. Still would need to order the BT58 and BT80 Coupler if you don't have a extra piece of BT80 to make a coupler from.

Attachments

• Apollo.png
    Apollo.png
    233 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Estes sells a vacuum pack for The Saturn V, BT80 for S-IVB and the LEM adapter. So all you would need is the BT58 and the Capsule and you can make your own and still have the Skylab to switchback and forth

yes, the only difficulty would be the corrugation wraps, but they can be approximated with a little ingenuity. maybe the wraps are the same and the skylab details are glued over them??

Back