3D Printing Is anyone else here Using OctoPi?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael L

Random Pixel Generator
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been running it for a couple of days now and I like it. I run it on a Pi4 256G of memory and a 32G sim card. I'm not using the Pi camera, I'm told that it works fine but I had a cheap webcam. The bed levelling tool and the ability to view the print from my computer as it's happening. There's no more plugging and unplugging the sim card after I add files, I just download straight to the printer (over my wifi network) from PrusaSlicr (or many others) and it starts printing when the file is transferred. I can remote view and stop the print but the jury is still out for that plugin as far as I'm concerned. I can also just fire up a web browser on my phone or iPad and watch it from there.

This guy has the best tutorial for making it work and which apps to use:

You can do timelapse videos like these with OctoLapse. The new version doesn't cause problems. This is 7 hours of print time:

Yep, I have it. There's tons of plugins for it as well. I have it notify me by text as the print progresses and finishes. I got a cheap pi cam for it, which is kind of cool. I don't use the camera much; though it can be useful for remote monitoring, for example you can cancel the print remotely (using the phone app) if you see its turning to spaghetti.
Definitely a nice addition for any printer, especially if you have an extra pi setting around as I did.

I'm kind of Pi Poor :D I used one for Ham Radio and I've had the OctoPi for as long as I've had my printer. I just installed it yesterday and I am sold on it.

I'm kind of Pi Poor :D I used one for Ham Radio and I've had the OctoPi for as long as I've had my printer. I just installed it yesterday and I am sold on it.

No doubt about it. If you run one or a farm of printers, they are invaluable.

I just remembered that I have one running as an ADSB server (aircraft alt. speed, and position) for FlightRadar24. I don't know if they still offer it but if you put one on their system the upgrade you to Business service. It's handy if you fly or like to know where certain aircraft are. It's crazy how many aircraft are in the air at any given moment. It was eerie at the height of the covid shutdowns.

I hadn't thought of using one for a print server.

I can’t imagine having to use an SD card to print. I got OctoPi setup within a few weeks of my printer and have never looked back. I do have a cheap cam for it but now I just use a Wyze cam, which is much higher quality.

I am constantly surprised and amazed at the great open source / shareware / freeware that is available for such a huge range of topics. OpenRocket for example in our hobby. So many great software apps to make our lives easier.

Tony

Back