Iron Cross to Iron Spad

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian V

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I just finished my Iron Spad. Yes I did a little mod to my Dyanasoar Iron Cross , still waiting on a RX and servos to come in the mail but construction and paint. So here are couple of pics.

Attachments

• C8C41640-7D04-41F2-8846-6FD664FE68C4.jpeg
    C8C41640-7D04-41F2-8846-6FD664FE68C4.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 1FFA61A3-2817-4696-B18E-80F27B8E07F3.jpeg
    1FFA61A3-2817-4696-B18E-80F27B8E07F3.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 90AADA89-DEC0-4ED9-922A-366C48B5041A.jpeg
    90AADA89-DEC0-4ED9-922A-366C48B5041A.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 474A9846-67AC-4B6B-94B9-FF36F7D4883C.jpeg
    474A9846-67AC-4B6B-94B9-FF36F7D4883C.jpeg
    79.7 KB · Views: 35
I just finished my Iron Spad. Yes I did a little mod to my Dyanasoar Iron Cross , still waiting on a RX and servos to come in the mail but construction and paint. So here are couple of pics.
Awesometastic!
Just curious: what's that object where the canopy usually is?

Good Morning Gents I have one flight on the Iron Spad flight went ok I have a CG issue slightly a nose heavy in glide I ran out of up elevator no damage just came in HOT🥴 so I have to work on that. Boost was awesome straight up off the rail no bad tendencies other the nose heavy issue told the pilot he needs to go on a diet 😂 he wasn’t happy about that 🥴76489868-8704-4DC9-ABAD-0554270387F7.jpeg

Brian, were you nose heavy relative to the speced CG location? Or were you finding it nose heavy with the CG location as per the instructions?

Hey Frank it is level with a loaded motor with a spent motor it goes heavy nose down and that is at instructions CG I had to add shot in the nose to get it level with a loaded motor for boost and all the other RG are slightly nose down for glide nothing like this one. I’m wondering if I threw off the CG point by adding that piece too the vertical fin. In boost straight off the rail pure vertical till I push to get a a 20 to 30 degree to apogee then I ran out of elevator trim and full up on the stick which gave me slightly nose down glide but came hot and no flare on touch down no problem with roll. No damage on airframe grass stains🥴 that the scoop.

Ok, so the rear of the wing at the center should be 3" from the end of the tube, the CG with loaded motor and battery should be 13 3/4" forward of the rear of the tube or 10 3/4" forward of the rear of the wing at the center(same point).

Does yours differ at all from those measurements?

BTW my model used 9 grams of nose weight to balance flat at that point with a loaded reload motor and 15 gram eflite battery(battery in the nose cone shoulder) receiver in the front of the body tube just behind the nose shoulder.

It flies beautifully at that point, the post burnout cg will shift forward 1/2 to 3/4" The model should not be too nose heavy for glide at that setting, I'm using only about 1/4 to 3/8" of uptrim. I did reduce the chord of the elevon on this latest version, but I increased the span so the overall area of the elevon is unchanged and long should be more effective.

Please confirm the CG location you used relative to the rear of the wing and the rear of the wing TE relative to the back end of the body tube.

Frank

Hey Frank it is level with a loaded motor with a spent motor it goes heavy nose down and that is at instructions CG I had to add shot in the nose to get it level with a loaded motor for boost and all the other RG are slightly nose down for glide nothing like this one. I’m wondering if I threw off the CG point by adding that piece too the vertical fin. In boost straight off the rail pure vertical till I push to get a a 20 to 30 degree to apogee then I ran out of elevator trim and full up on the stick which gave me slightly nose down glide but came hot and no flare on touch down no problem with roll. No damage on airframe grass stains🥴 that the scoop.

Ok Frank I found the problem with your help I apparently measured from trailing edge of wing🥴 my bad but an easy fix. Just have to grind some lead out…that’s what I get for working on a kit after being up for 20 hr shift at work 🥴 Thank You Frank!!

Well I guess that's a testament to the design if it'll fly at all with the cg 3 inches further forward than designed😁

Easy fix!

Ok Frank I found the problem with your help I apparently measured from trailing edge of wing🥴 my bad but an easy fix. Just have to grind some lead out…that’s what I get for working on a kit after being up for 20 hr shift at work 🥴 Thank You Frank!!

Lol!!!!!! It’s also proof if you clearly read your instructions closely they will fly as advertised and yes it did fly with the CG 3” forward but I don’t recommend you try this at home Kids!!!! 😂🥴 I have the CG perfect now come Wednesday I will have a better flight review on the Iron Spad Thanks Again Frank for support and your Expertise 😃👍 Even us experience Guys have a blond moment at times😂

I'm surprised it glided at all like that:)

Lol!!!!!! It’s also proof if you clearly read your instructions closely they will fly as advertised and yes it did fly with the CG 3” forward but I don’t recommend you try this at home Kids!!!! 😂🥴 I have the CG perfect now come Wednesday I will have a better flight review on the Iron Spad Thanks Again Frank for support and your Expertise 😃👍 Even us experience Guys have a blond moment at times😂

I was glad that I had quite a few flights on the X15 it came down faster than X15 and I had just enough elevator control so it didn’t touch too hard but it was cooking on on the touch down. It was like a dead stick with a r/c pylon racer. So Read the instructions clearly so this does not happen to you.😃

Good Evening Gents I just squeezed in two flights on the Iron Spad two awesome flights. Boost was was sweet set on boost trim -3% flap trim, off rail perfect vertical then I manually do a push to about 20-30 degrees till apogee then transition to glide mode. Glide mode setting is +32% on flap trim, set up gave it a perfect glide very gentle flyer not fast very easy to fly. BUT MAKE SURE YOUR CG is right before flight!! Or you will have your hands full and may not have a happy outcome. I think the Dyanasoar Iron Cross would make a very good entry level RG. Till next project is done 😃 Have Fun!!!!!

Back