Iris Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gna

average joe-overbuild member
Reaction score
I scratch built this rocket to use up some spare parts I had laying around. I had a leftover piece of BT-20, lots of scrap balsa from kits for fins, a spare nose cone. I cut the engine block from a spent motor casing. Streamer is some orange warning tape I found.
Iris Rocket.jpg

It turned out fairly similar to the Estes Wizard. I painted it with all sorts of colors my wife and daughter were using for yard art. My daughter suggested the name "Iris," the Greek goddess of rainbows. Seems like it will fly pretty well on smaller motors.

View attachment Iris.ork

I scratch built this rocket to use up some spare parts I had laying around. I had a leftover piece of BT-20, lots of scrap balsa from kits for fins, a spare nose cone. I cut the engine block from a spent motor casing. Streamer is some orange warning tape I found.
View attachment 294449

It turned out fairly similar to the Estes Wizard. I painted it with all sorts of colors my wife and daughter were using for yard art. My daughter suggested the name "Iris," the Greek goddess of rainbows. Seems like it will fly pretty well on smaller motors.

Sorry to have to inform you, your scratch built sport model needs another name!
The IRIS is an important historical Atlantic Research sounding rocket contracted by NRL to prob the upper regions of the atmosphere starting July 22, 1960 through May of 1962. Alas; the last remaining example of this vehicle is currently on display outdoors without it's unique booster at the Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD.

Estes had a 1:13 semi-scale single stage model kit out in the early 1990's

Hope this history will help explain the name change to your daughter;) It is a nice looking scratch built Sport flying rocket.

Attachments

• iris with booster_07-22-1960_May-1962.jpg
    iris with booster_07-22-1960_May-1962.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 071-sm_Iris (Atlantic Research) 13th Scale_05-28-90.jpg
    071-sm_Iris (Atlantic Research) 13th Scale_05-28-90.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 55
Sorry to have to inform you, your scratch built sport model needs another name!
D'oh! :facepalm:

The IRIS is an important historical Atlantic Research sounding rocket contracted by NRL to prob the upper regions of the atmosphere starting July 22, 1960 through May of 1962. Alas; the last remaining example of this vehicle is currently on display outdoors without it's unique booster at the Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, MD.

Estes had a 1:13 semi-scale single stage model kit out in the early 1990's

Hope this history will help explain the name change to your daughter;) It is a nice looking scratch built Sport flying rocket.

Ok, let's see.... how about Bifröst, then? :eek:

Iris is also a wonderful old girl's name. There's no need to change names.
Iris II? :)

Back