??? IQSY Tomahawk??? LOC Precision

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billiam

Reaction score
At a privately owned hobby shop in Nashville, I found an unlabeled LOC Precision rocket kit that had the side of the package split open. Many missing parts. Upon further rummaging through some boxes, I found the nose cone and a sealed bag of rocket guts, chute and fins. No label or instructions. After calling LOC Precision and describing in detail my find, I was told that I have a PK29 IQSY Tomahawk. My question is; does anyone know where I can find a set of instructions and/or data sheet. LOC Precision still has decals for the IQSY Tomahawk.

At a privately owned hobby shop in Nashville, I found an unlabeled LOC Precision rocket kit that had the side of the package split open. Many missing parts. Upon further rummaging through some boxes, I found the nose cone and a sealed bag of rocket guts, chute and fins. No label or instructions. After calling LOC Precision and describing in detail my find, I was told that I have a PK29 IQSY Tomahawk. My question is; does anyone know where I can find a set of instructions and/or data sheet. LOC Precision still has decals for the IQSY Tomahawk.

I have this kit but it is unopened. What would you like to know from the instructions? Maybe I can help without slicing it open. Stickershock has a set of vinyl based on the Aerotech set, which is the route I took for my kit. The only tricky part about painting rather than stickers would be placement of the bolt heads.

I'm sure there are those even more knowledgeable than me who will want to chime in, but I would be glad to help where I can!

Cheers,
Michael

Mainly, I'd like to know how and where to attach the shock cord. Would you be willing to photocopy the instructions and Emailing them to me? I'm going to use an Estes 29mm screw on motor retainer and the Aerotech RMS motor system. This will be my lvl1 cert rocket.

Mainly, I'd like to know how and where to attach the shock cord. Would you be willing to photocopy the instructions and Emailing them to me? I'm going to use an Estes 29mm screw on motor retainer and the Aerotech RMS motor system. This will be my lvl1 cert rocket.

welcome to the forum, Billiam.
im not certain about that particular kit, but a few LOC kits have the instructions say glue the shock cord to the inside of the body tube a few inches down. I personally don't like that idea as its a weak point in the recovery system. so, if theres room, ill put a forged eye bolt into the forward centering ring to attach the shock cord to. if theres not enough room for that ill cut a slot in the forward centering ring to slide the shock cord through and epoxy it right to the MMT. this requires purchasing more,longer shock cord, but I like the added strength.

The LOC instructions definitely recommend Estes style shock cord, and I definitely recommend virtually any other technique. I drilled the centering rings and ran kevlar through then knotted it.

I think I have my original instructions at home and can look for them if you want a copy beyond some simple questions.

I'll see what I can do. I would rather not open up the bag if I can help it so I don't wind up with missing parts same as you. I have several sets of LOC instructions, so maybe I can just note any differences from the Tomahawk and send it to you. I'll have some time to work on it this weekend.

I agree with others that it would be better to use an alternative shock cord mount which would require a longer shock cord. You may want to consider that anyway since the elastic waistband material that comes with the kit does deteriorate with age and it sounds like this kit may have been around for awhile!

Cheers,
Michael

I believe you'll find all those LOC kit instructions use the same boilerplate for the shock cord mounting step.

loc mount instructions.jpg LOC shock cord mount.jpg

This method just works, and aligns with my personal preference to keep the shock cord as far from the fire as practical. If you do decide to go with a motor mount attachment point I would suggest investing in a nomex shock cord protector.

nomex sock cord protector.jpg

Thank you all.....you've all given me plenty of options. I did some midpower launches this past weekend and burned some holes in some chutes! Not enough wading! Then failed deployment due to too much wading! AAARGHH!! So I have decided on Nomex blankets and Kevlar shock cord leaders for all rockets. So, I will be adding a centering ring to the motor mount and securing the shock cord to it.

Back