3D Printing IP Camera for Monitoring Print Jobs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greg Furtman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have my 3D printers upstairs and I'd like to set up a camera system to keep an eye on my printers from downstairs on my laptop or phone. I don't need motion detection or cloud storage, just a decent image. Are any of you doing this? What camera & setup do you have?

A standalone solution is a Wyze camera. about $2. It has no fees (unless you want advanced features), and has a decent app for viewing the feed. It's works well and you can simply unplug it when you're not printing. As a bonus, you can set it up with motion detection as a security cam if you leave the house. I'm not a fan of externally accessible internet things normally but in this instance I make an exception. I do also have a camera setup with my Raspberry Pi, but it's such a terrible quality camera that for smaller prints it does not work very well.

USB cameras are hard to come by because of all the work at home stuff. For a while they were unavailable pretty anywhere.

Tony

I use one of the older Go-Pro clones connected to a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B (think it was an Sj3000 or Sj4000) and it doubles up as a webcam. Has a nice wide field of view so I can watch both printers through one feed.

A standalone solution is a Wyze camera. about $2. It has no fees (unless you want advanced features), and has a decent app for viewing the feed. It's works well and you can simply unplug it when you're not printing. As a bonus, you can set it up with motion detection as a security cam if you leave the house. I'm not a fan of externally accessible internet things normally but in this instance I make an exception. I do also have a camera setup with my Raspberry Pi, but it's such a terrible quality camera that for smaller prints it does not work very well.

USB cameras are hard to come by because of all the work at home stuff. For a while they were unavailable pretty anywhere.

Tony
@manixFan This is exactly what I'm looking for. I did a little research and Wyze does make a RTSP firmware that let's you assign is an IP address & it generates a local url.

https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026245231-Wyze-Cam-RTSP

I've got a Logitech C270 hooked to a Raspberry Pi 3B+ running OctoPrint. Installed the Telegram plugin, so I can always send a /status to my OctoPrint bot on Telegram and get an update, along with an animated GIF. It also sends texts upon predefined events.

Back