Quantcast

3D Printing IP Camera for Monitoring Print Jobs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Greg Furtman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have my 3D printers upstairs and I'd like to set up a camera system to keep an eye on my printers from downstairs on my laptop or phone. I don't need motion detection or cloud storage, just a decent image. Are any of you doing this? What camera & setup do you have?

mpitfield

Staff member
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
Check out Thingiverse, raspberry pi camera. You will need a raspberry pi, the camera, and some software like OctoPrint. Duckduckgo is your friend.

Greg Furtman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I ran across this & I'm going to give it a try since I have an old Motorola Droid that still works.

Huxter

Reaction score
I'm on the cheap end w the ubiquitous Logitech c270 - 720p for under $40. Connects to Pi w USB

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I'm on the cheap end w the ubiquitous Logitech c270 - 720p for under $40. Connects to Pi w USB
I have one on my other pi. I would go with the Logitech 270i. USB Cameras have increased in price. Are they infected by COVID?

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
Reaction score
A standalone solution is a Wyze camera. about $2. It has no fees (unless you want advanced features), and has a decent app for viewing the feed. It's works well and you can simply unplug it when you're not printing. As a bonus, you can set it up with motion detection as a security cam if you leave the house. I'm not a fan of externally accessible internet things normally but in this instance I make an exception. I do also have a camera setup with my Raspberry Pi, but it's such a terrible quality camera that for smaller prints it does not work very well.

USB cameras are hard to come by because of all the work at home stuff. For a while they were unavailable pretty anywhere.

Tony

Karl

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I use one of the older Go-Pro clones connected to a Raspberry Pi 4 Model B (think it was an Sj3000 or Sj4000) and it doubles up as a webcam. Has a nice wide field of view so I can watch both printers through one feed.

Greg Furtman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
A standalone solution is a Wyze camera. about $2. It has no fees (unless you want advanced features), and has a decent app for viewing the feed. It's works well and you can simply unplug it when you're not printing. As a bonus, you can set it up with motion detection as a security cam if you leave the house. I'm not a fan of externally accessible internet things normally but in this instance I make an exception. I do also have a camera setup with my Raspberry Pi, but it's such a terrible quality camera that for smaller prints it does not work very well.

USB cameras are hard to come by because of all the work at home stuff. For a while they were unavailable pretty anywhere.

Tony
@manixFan This is exactly what I'm looking for. I did a little research and Wyze does make a RTSP firmware that let's you assign is an IP address & it generates a local url.

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
Reaction score
@manixFan This is exactly what I'm looking for. I did a little research and Wyze does make a RTSP firmware that let's you assign is an IP address & it generates a local url.

Glad it looks like it will work for you. Are you using RTSP to view the stream on a desktop or laptop computer? Or is there another reason to use RTSP? Just wondering.

Thanks,

Tony

Greg Furtman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Glad it looks like it will work for you. Are you using RTSP to view the stream on a desktop or laptop computer? Or is there another reason to use RTSP? Just wondering.

Thanks,

Tony
I don't trust the Cloud. I just want to see what my printer is up to & that doesn't need to go out there anywhere.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Lifetime Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
I don't trust the Cloud. I just want to see what my printer is up to & that doesn't need to go out there anywhere.
You probably should. I have had a couple of mishaps that could have ended in a fire.

manixFan

Not a rocket scientist
Reaction score
Mine is on a separate WiFi network than the rest of my house. I'm not a fan either.

Tony

John Kemker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a Logitech C270 hooked to a Raspberry Pi 3B+ running OctoPrint. Installed the Telegram plugin, so I can always send a /status to my OctoPrint bot on Telegram and get an update, along with an animated GIF. It also sends texts upon predefined events.

Latest posts