Iowa rocketry help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BDB

Absent Minded Professor
Reaction score
I was just contacted by a church in Montezuma Iowa who is planning a science-based VBS. Who knew that existed? They want to build and launch rockets as part of the week's activities, but they will need some sort of multi-channel rocket launcher. It looks like there aren't any active clubs in central Iowa. Is there any launch system near there that they could borrow or any rocketeers nearby willing to help out?

I live on the east coast now, but I was born and raised in Iowa. Here's proof of my corn-state credentials:
IMG_1173.jpg IMG_1174.jpg

Looks like there might be a Tripoli prefecture near Des Moines (Indianola). Try e-mailing kb0yda at hotmail dot com (Jeffery Chambers).

We are here ! We fly every third Sunday of the month in Indianola . What age group are the kids and how many of them are there ? Jim Scott Tripoli Ia secretary

I finally got the details from the church. The curriculum they are following describes an air-powered launcher, kind of like a potato-gun. I told them they need to find someone in their congregation who is marginally handy to build a couple of these launchers.

While there is zero propellent, this might be a nice way to introduce younger children to rocketry. And I applaud the church for embracing a science-based curriculum.

air launcher.png

you should also tell them that their launchers REALLY should be constructed from pressure rated components, NOT drain pipe as shown in your picture.
Rex

Thanks, Rex. I'll pass that along. Those are the instructions that came with the curriculum. When I saw them, my first thought was, "I could surely design something better than that."

and yes I was a charter member of the 'International Potato Launching Association' :) their quest was for the supersonic spud.
Rex

Back