Invisible rocket kits in Estes 2004 Catalog

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Initiator001

Reaction score
I've been looking at the new Estes 2004 catalog and have discovered something interesting.

In the table of contents, there are two kits listed, the "Space Bus" and "Space Hauler". Both are listed as being shown on page nine of the catalog. I don't see either of them on that page or anywhere else in the catalog.

Or, maybe, I'm just going blind.

The pictures are on page 8, as part of the 'Mini Super Shot' starter set.
The specs are indeed on page 9, buried under the info for that starter set.

Hey, don't feel bad, I do this sort of thing (look right at it and not see it) all the time, especially when shopping for groceries at the store.

The Space Bus and the Space Hauler are basically the same bodies as the Mini Meanie and the Freaky Flyer, with different colors and graphics. They're nifty little goers for the price, and make dandy desk doo-dads once you're tired of flying 'em.

Originally posted by GoBang
The Space Bus and the Space Hauler are basically the same bodies as the Mini Meanie and the Freaky Flyer, with different colors and graphics. They're nifty little goers for the price, and make dandy desk doo-dads once you're tired of flying 'em.

It's been my experience that you never get the chance to grow tired of flying them. They self destruct before you're ever tired. While they last they're fun little backyard fliers though.

Originally posted by powderburner
Hey, don't feel bad, I do this sort of thing (look right at it and not see it) all the time, especially when shopping for groceries at the store.

It's a good thing I just signed up for my company's premier vision plan!

Originally posted by Fishhead
It's been my experience that you never get the chance to grow tired of flying them. They self destruct before you're ever tired. While they last they're fun little backyard fliers though.
I stuck the motor mount in the FF but the MM is still going strong....

Heh heh heh. Loved the FZ ref...I have "Apostrophe [']" on my desk right now in fact..."with the oil of Afro-dytee an the dust of the Grand Wazoo..."

jdr

I am going to have to look for them, maybe at the next Hobby Lobby sale which should be soon.

Carl

Originally posted by Fishhead

Yeah, what he said. Cool little rockets, but they tend to explode/melt...lol

The Space Bus and the Space Hauler are basically the same bodies as the Mini Meanie and the Freaky Flyer, with different colors and graphics.

In their original incarnation, these two rockets were known as the Ninja and Sliver (See picture).

Originally posted by Initiator001
In their original incarnation, these two rockets were known as the Ninja and Sliver (See picture).
Very interesting. The little plastic motor retainers tend to get shucked off and lost (which is why my Torque and Fury are currently grounded...)

Very interesting. The little plastic motor retainers tend to get shucked off and lost (which is why my Torque and Fury are currently grounded...)

I thought that there were extra motor retainer rings included with the rockets..?

I've been looking at the new Estes 2004 catalog and have discovered something interesting.

In the table of contents, there are two kits listed, the "Space Bus" and "Space Hauler". Both are listed as being shown on page nine of the catalog. I don't see either of them on that page or anywhere else in the catalog.

Or, maybe, I'm just going blind.

The Saturn V is listed on price list (100 bucks!), but no picture.

Wonder if it really is still for sale?

I thought that there were extra motor retainer rings included with the rockets..?
I wouldn't know. My wife picked 'em up at a yard sale for me. Think she gave a buck for the set.

I reckon friction fit would work well enough though. Might try them again just for fun.

Originally posted by Lee Reep
The Saturn V is listed on price list (100 bucks!), but no picture.

Wonder if it really is still for sale?

Lee, Check at Hobby Lobby. There is one in the clearance aisle at the local HL for $60.00. I'm waiting for it to drop to $30.00. :)

Originally posted by Darian Rachal
Lee, Check at Hobby Lobby. There is one in the clearance aisle at the local HL for $60.00. I'm waiting for it to drop to $30.00. :)

Our local HL doesn't stock all that much variety anymore. (Unless a bunch of stuff sold during the 1/2 off sale.!) I did get an Outlander, and some unmemorable kit for $2.50 -- I wanted the nose cone! I'm not sure the list price of $4.99 was correct.

Probably a good thing HL didn't have the Saturn V -- I do have a few. I'm just a sucker for 1/2 off sales.

Originally posted by Loopy
Yeah, what he said. Cool little rockets, but they tend to explode/melt...lol

To tell you the truth my Space Hauler has lasted 26 flights!!! Not with out a little repair here and there, but as strange as it sounds it's one of my all time favorites as for the retro-Mini-Meanie or Space Bus. Not diggin' the flights I got out of those. I just recently got the Freaky Flyer and plan on keeping the tradition going.

Originally posted by Lee Reep
Our local HL doesn't stock all that much variety anymore.

Lee, Just check in those clearance aisles, if your HL has them. You never can tell what rocket stuff & engines you may run across there.

Also, at my local HL, they have clearance items at the end of the aisles in the model section. They have a number of Quest Falcons marked down. That is really a good model for modification.

Back