Inventory spreadsheet or database tips?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am not strong on spreadsheet skills- and I see lots of references to folks here updating their inventory spreadsheets from time to time- Does anyone have a template they care to share, or tips/advice on a decent spreadsheet structure to track rocketry related inventory, from kits built and not built to other parts and supplies? Any advice is appreciated...

Depends on what you are looking for.

I have a spreadsheet using excel. I have a column for rocket name, manufacturer, location (tote number, shelf, etc), year built, chute size, motor size (ex. 18.2, 24.1, 29.1 - the xx.n format covers clusters, so in my example the 18.2 was a 2 engine cluster) & number of flights. I initially had columns that had suggested specific motors (like B6-4, C6-5), but I stopped using it. Under location, I use B for in build, D for done, R for in repair, and Z for lost/destroyed. I can then use the sort/filter capabilities of excel to find things. One thing I kinda wish I had, but not really critical, is acquisition year. I've been a BAR for about 23 years so some of my kits are fairly old.

My spreadsheet does NOT include any info specific to the flights, just number of flights. So no info on actual motor, chute used, field conditions (like wind), landing location, etc.......

Thanks, Les, that helps. As I was setting one up I kept debating with myself about adding columns, so was looking for things others use or rely on, and primarily for 'inventory' purposes rather than statistical or flight info- although I quickly descend into why not both... :dontknow:

Is this just about rocket inventory? On reading the thread title I expected it to be about parts, motors, etc. as well as kits and completed rockets. If not that, if you just mean the rockets, then stop reading here. Just move on to the next post.

My advice about inventory of several of type of things was going to be to not try to do all of that in one huge spreadsheet. Separate sheets in a single workbook isn't a bad idea. If you want to link aspects of related aspects of different types of things in a massive, interconnected collection, that is no job for a spreadsheet; that's a job for a database program, such as the one Neil pointed you to. (The platform, that is, not his specific base.)

Google Sheets (free and available anywhere you can install and app or have a browser)

I track name, date purchased, vendor purchased, price paid, MSRP, state (unbuilt, in progress, built, destroyed, etc.), location (tub 2, etc.), MMT size, extra details (cluster, multi stage, etc.)

Once you have that, you can apply filters and see things like all kits that were purchased from vendor A before date B that are built.

Once you build up the sheet, you can add anything you consider important. Some people track fligts on each kit. I have another sheet for tracking my motor inventory and reload cases.

This is more than just rocket / kit inventory, although that is what got me started. I have various parts like 'chutes, motor retainers, nomex and the like that aren't necessarily tagged to a particular kit. Also thinking about a shared equipment inventory, i.e. start sharing parachutes between rockets becomes easier if I know what sizes I have and which ones have quick links, instead of more permanent attachment, etc.

I am just beginning to explore using SOMETHING to help track all this stuff, so was asking for advice from those who may have fallen down the rabbit hole ahead of me. What works, and what just creates more work, etc. My current M.O. is to think, don't I already have one of those..? so it would be nice to track it better...

... tips/advice on a decent spreadsheet structure to track rocketry related inventory, from kits built and not built to other parts and supplies? Any advice is appreciated...

I started an Excel workbook about 5 years ago, and it's morphed into quite the behemoth.

One of the tabs is labeled "BMS". I inputted all the rocket parts (tubes, couplers, motors, etc) from the Balsa Machining Service site. I also use this to occasionally update the inventory of what I have on hand.

Later I added columns to the BMS sheet for what items are needed for a specific scratch build I want to buy parts from.

The workbook has a multitude of other worksheets such as wood, ballast, chute packed size, journal, rocket acronyms, staging, glue strength....

Here's a screen grab...

2022-0-06 Rocketry Excel Screen Grab.jpg

start sharing parachutes between rockets becomes easier if I know what sizes I have and which ones have quick links, instead of more permanent attachment, etc.
Here's a narrowly pointed bit of advice: if a parachute is permanently attached to a rocket, make note of that in the rocket's entry and then don't include it in the parachute inventory.

Why? Well, that leads to a little bit (emphasize little) of database design technique. Make sure that properties of an entity are stored with that entity not elsewhere, and don't list entities that serve no purpose. In this case, "Has parachute attached" is a property of the rocket, so store it with the rocket. And why are you making a list of your parachutes? Because they can be moved between rockets; what you're really listing is available parachutes, and a 'chute that's permanently attached to one rocket is not one that's available, so don't list it.

Back