Introduction

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cougar93

Reaction score
Howdy from Houston, TX.

It took about half a day, but my activiation email finally arrived. Thought I'd use my first post to introduce myself.

I'm 36, and just now getting back into rocketry. I grew up in Odessa, TX (yes, the town from the book, Friday Night Lights). When I was younger, we used to head down to the local park and launch rockets. Back then, I stuck with whatever was available at the local hobby store. The funny thing is, that hobby store was pretty well stocked. They even carried materials for scratch rocket building. I've been to supposed "hobby" stores in Houston, and all they carry is RTF kits with launch pads. Michael's has a pretty decent selection, but nothing like the hobby store I grew up with. Anyway, as a kid, I flew multi-stage rockets, payload rockets, multi-stage payload rockets, a really nice scratch built rocket I called "the Arabian" because of the look of the fins, a camera rocket, and a bunch more. I was really into it. The last flight I remember was a mean machine launch in front of a bunch of guys at an RC airfield (they were really excited). The motor mount, with motor, went flying through the nosecone and straight into the air... out of sight. The rocket fell from about 10 feet in the air. I was pretty disappointed.

But alas, I now have a 6 year old son, and he loves rockets!!!! We started back into the hobby with one of those complete kits. We've now built and flown a couple of Estes rockets, including the Storm Caster (which is currently my son's favorite rocket). Now that we have the internet, I'm almost overwhelmed at my choices of rockets to buy online. I really had a burning desire to avenge myself... and so I set out to find another Mean Machine kit. They were out of stock everywhere. So, I recently concluded my construction of a Sunward Aviation CFX Six Footer. We'll be launching soon. I also bought a Fliskit's Tres kit. It is now complete and ready to fly. I have a Gemini DC currently under construction... all though I've grown to dislike the Estes models after building a Sunward and Fliskits model.

Since I knew my Tres was a cluster (will be my first), I knew I needed a more powerful launcher than my stock Estes controller. So, after doing much research, I purchased Doug Pratt's RTLS Module One. Having done that, I'm really fired up about the idea of doing my level one certification, and eventually the level two. Currently, I'm looking around for a good mid-power launch pad. I think I'm going to try and build the Sumo. Looks like a fun rocket (I love the short fat rockets... and yes, I have recently build the Fat Boy). The Sumo to me is a giant Fat Boy kit. I have my eye on the Yellow Jacket pad, but it seems pricey... especially after just dropping decent $$$$ on a controller.

So, that's me in a nutshell, are where my interests currently sit. I plan to join NAR, and would like to join a flying club in Houston, preferably near Sugar Land. It's pretty darn difficult to find a decent field in this town. You either have buildings, houses, or trees.

Anyway, glad to be a member of this forum. Looks like there is a ton of great information.

Welcome aboard! Hope you enjoy the forum, and your re-entry into the hobby!

Best Regards

I'm sort of a newbie here myself but I'll say "Howdy" as well. :)
This place has a ton of info and most everyone has been helpful with all my questions thus far. Enjoy!

36 seems to be a good age to become a B.A.R. ;)

As soon as I find the PM function on this board... I'll be in business.

Welcome to the Very best Model Rocket forum on the NET:D
glad you've joined us, Lots of nice folk from the great lone Star state.
Since I see you have a real young son I'll Try to be the first to temp you in the wonderful world of Truely back yard model rocketry with Micro-Maxx models. Quest makes the motors, May others are now producing kits and many others are one the way, these little models range in size from minimum .281" dia and about 2.5 inches long to cluister of 4 or more in BT-5 and 20 bodies and as long as 103";( The lighter ya build the higher they go. current altitude and Cluster altitiude records stand a 269 feet 82m. We have LED payload, electroinc timers, micro altimiters and every RCRG's in the works, Sport models, Downscales of the Classics, Models for just about any NAR competition, Scale, Gliders, Helicopters and good- Old Odd rocs. If you can design it in model rocketry, it can be flown in 1/8A micro motor class:D I had 3 timed by unreturnable 5 & 6 minute micro flex-wing flight a couple months ago.
Hope to see you visit and join the ranks fo Micro Modelers:D
Again welcome to TRF

Thanks. BTW: I found the private message. I'm all set now. As to the micro stuff, to each their own. Personally, I like the large tube rockets, 4" or greater. I think the Sumo looks great!. I would love to learn how to fiberglass. Looks like fun. My ultimate goal is to get into the bigger stuff. Not sure yet about Hybrids. I have not yet found anything that explains why it is better than the regular stuff.

Welcome to the forum! You'll really enjoy the company, and the interest your son will develop through your enthusiasm.

Welcome! You found a great forum to share your experiences and get all of your questions answered.

Best regards,
Brian

At the risk of repeating what's already been said, Welcome to the Forum!

You'll find this an outstanding source of archived information (via the "search" button on the top of each page), as well as experiential knowledge from the folks who have been there/done that/don't wanna make that mistake again.

Another very useful resource is Essence's Model Rocket Reviews, or EMRR. You can find it here. I'd advise you to consult the writeups in there for whatever kit you are looking to build before you start building it, or if possible, before you even buy it. Some kits just aren't worth the trouble, and others have some tricks in the building phase that will make your rocket a lot better. In particular, your Gemini DC will need a modification inside the outer pods to make them last a lot longer, and you can read all about it on EMRR.

Again, welcome, and we hope you enjoy your visits here!

WW

Originally posted by Cougar93
Not sure yet about Hybrids. I have not yet found anything that explains why it is better than the regular stuff.

The main thing is that it is not as regulated, the fuel usually being inert (plastics or paper).

Some folks like the complicated nature of it (loading the oxidizer, having two launch circuits; one for filling/one for firing, etc., must use electronic recovery deployment).

I myself don't like the design constraints (most hybrids are long skinny rockets since most hybrid motors are long and skinny), but to each his own.

The non-regulated part is a pretty convincing point, though.

Take a look around at the vendors on here, myself included and your sure to find nearly everything you could ever need. I reccomend the forum to almost every rocketeer that walks in the door and everyone seems to get all of their questions answered, sometimes you never even have to post just search and its sure to be there.

Regarding the search feature, I have already been using it. I read several threads before I got my activation code. It is great indeed. Oh, and the Rocket Review site is very familiar to me. Jim Flis shared it with me when I had a question about the Tres. Trust me, I read all that stuff about my Gemini DC... but after the purchase. Oh well, I'm going to do my best to build it into a decent rocket. I've had several disappointments with Estes over the years. :( I have to say, my first experience with a Fliskit was very positive. The instructions were AWESOME! I currently have my eye on both of his cluster payload rockets, and the recker. I've just gotta have a nearly 8 foot tall cluster rocket. I'm regretting the Sunward 6 footer purchase since it doesn't break down. Getting it to a launch site is going to be a tough undertaking.

welcome to the forum!!! you sound like an ambitious person, which is perfect for this hobby.

definately check out EMRR's site, check out your SUMO, and ask around the boards, i know people on here who have SUMO's, its a very nice rocket, a very easy build, and flies awesome on a G75 reload.

have you read about the regulations on the hobby? well, to become level one, you'll want to check out www.nar.org or www.tra.org. both good organizations with certification processes through three levels. check the NAR website to find the closest club near you, and attend some launches to scope things out.

other than that, have a ton of fun, ask a ton of questions, and include a TON of pics!!!

Yep, I've already read all the cert 1 requirements. They seem very obtainable. I even printed the test bank of cert 2 questions and took them with me on a recent business flight. I noticed the lady next to me on the plane was taking a look at the test pool (guess she was bored). We didn't talk much. I can only wonder what she thought I did for a living. :cool: BTW: There is a club in Houston that launches near the NASA complex. I just wanted something closer. If you've never been to Houston before, it is a hugely spread out city. It'll take me an hour to get to my launch site. You hope for something closer. But, if that's the best club in proximity to my home, it'll do.

Hey there Cougar,
This group helped me design and build a five engine cluster in under a year. Its great.
Cheers
fred

Cougar,

Welcome to TRF and back to rocketry :) YOu're going to like it here, but then I think you already know that.

Congrats on building the Tres (glad you liked the instructions :) ). You are going to *love* that model in flight!

Keep up the excitement and keep us posted!
jim

Welcome cougar - you probably know it by now, but since no one else mentioned it, you've become a BAR (Born Again Rocketeer). Caution, the bug bites much harder the second time around.

-Paul

Cougar93,

I didn't see it mentioned in scanning the replies, but if you go to www.nar.org you can search through and find the NAR sections for Texas. I believe there are three in the general Houston area. There are also clubs in Austin and Dallas. The Dallas section is hosting the National Sports Launch in May at McGregor TX which is just southwest of Waco. It is in the neighborhood of a 4 to 5 hour drive depending on where you are in the Houston area and how you drive <g>. The statewide burn ban is playing havoc with launches in the next couple of months.
Welcome to the forum and welcome back.

Chas

Originally posted by pkinzer
Welcome cougar - you probably know it by now, but since no one else mentioned it, you've become a BAR (Born Again Rocketeer). Caution, the bug bites much harder the second time around.

I'll second that, Cougar.

As an adult, "Rocketry" becomes a line-item entry in the monthly household budget. :cool:

I'd build a few more rockets before you decide how you want to attck Lvl 1 and beyond. All I mean by that is with the wide variety of rocket manufacturers (in addition to the 3 from which you've built kits so far) - as well as the possibility of scratch building, cloning, and up-scaling your old favorites that are long out-of-print - you may find something neat that you haven't considered yet.

Not that an AT Sumo wouldn't be fine choice, I'd just give yourself the opportunity to feel out some more choices.

Further, the bigger you go, the more $$$$ you shell out. You can explore the different rockets, building methods, manufacturers, etc. on a smaller (i.e. less expensive) level.

Then go for the big'un and prepare to file for a second mortgage. :p

Don't forget Cougar theres lots of medium and low power alternatives to going imediately into high power. LPR or low power kits can be challenging to build pleasing to the eye and are much easier on the wallet. The launching opportunites are much greater as well. having said that HPR is a ton of fun accorrding to many of the fine members of this forum. I have seen pictures of HPR rockets that look and sound very impressive. I just wanted to give you a little differant perspective.
Cheers
fred

Thanks. I just wanted to try HPR to see if I liked it. It looks challenging.

Welcome, Cougar. I would recommend building and flying a few mid power rockets before jumping straight to high power. This will help you get the feel of building and launching some bigger rockets, and help you learn how to handle the reloadable motors. There are many kits that can be flown on mid power motors and high power motors - the public missiles Small Endeavour is one of them. This is the kit I'm using for my L1 this year after flying mid power for the past three. Whatever you choose to do, just have fun!

To tell you the truth, until I got back into rocketry, I didn't even know HPR was out there. Interestingly, it was the TV show, Master Blasters that showed me what an interest my son had in rocketry. He really loved that show. Shame it got cancelled. Anyway, I tend to jump into stuff with both feet. But, the idea of transitioning from LPR to MPR before going to HPR sounds reasonable.

Can you guys recommend some really nice MPR kits? I have to tell you, I love fat rockets! For me, the wider the body tube, the better. :)

For starting into mid power, Aerotech has some great kits, as do PML and LOC/Precision. All go together fairly easily and are very strong kits. Aerotech is more expensive, and a different style of build, but a good way to get your feet without having to worry to much about recovery options, epoxy concerns, or motor retention. I started with an Aerotech Initiator, then got a Mustang, Strong Arm, and Barracuda. I also have the Public Missiles Limited (PML) Amraam 2.1, Tiny Pterodactyl, and Small Endeavour. I just ordered the LOC/Precision Norad Pro Maxx. The other thing you'll really want to get is the Aerotech 29mm 40-120 reloadable casing. This casing holds a large number of different loads ranging from E-G power with three different propellant types (White Lightning, Blue Thunder, Black Jack), and is a must have for mid power flyers in my opinion.

Have a look at the Dynastar products. midpower and a variety of skill levels.
Cheers
fred

Back