Introduction, and holiday greeting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Dunakin

Reaction score
Howdy, and Happy New Year! I've visited these forums on a few occasions but haven't really been a regular here. I plan on reading and posting here more frequently and thought I should introduce myself. I've been in rocketry for many years, joined TRA in 1987 (#389) and first certified for high power in June 1988 at a Lucerne launch. Currently I'm also a member of the NAR.

I am a camera payload fanatic and rarely fly anything without a camera. Mostly 35mm sequence cameras these days. I've also made about 200 flights with Super 8 movie cameras, and a few flights with various other types of cameras. Whenever possible I combine rocketry with my other hobby, desert camping and exploring. I've gotten some great aerial photos from scenic locations, ghost towns, and mining camps in CA, Nevada, Arizona, Montana and other places.

I've also done a lot with various methods of staging -- standard "inline" staging up to three stages, parallel staging (strap-on boosters), and parasite staging (small rockets piggybacked on larger booster rocket). All my rockets are scratchbuilt. Recently I started manufacturing and selling some of my booster hardware and a few other products under the HAKO Ballistics brand name.

I live in San Diego and was one of the founding members of Tripoli San Diego. My wife and I just celebrated our 20th anniversary in early December. We have a son and a "foster" daughter, and three beautiful grandkids (two more on the way!).

Welcome, and a Happy New Year to ya Ray!! Or, should it be welcome back? Either way, TRF has really evolved into an awesome place. I'm still suprised at the number of rocketeers that DON'T come here. The volume of information is endless, and the friendliness is unmatched.

Hi Ray! Sounds like you have some pretty cool pics. You'll see that a lot of us live for pictures and now that your here...looks like we could be seeing some really cool aerial shots! Don't be shy about sharing your tech stuff on how you make all those cameras work and come back in one piece! It's one of my ambitions to get a rocket camera going at some point (project number 1233234-123 B) Yea...lots to do. Anyway, welcome aboard!
JR:D

Welcome back Ray,

As one of the newer members of TRF, I do know you from a few contacts via email, and wanted to say your booster work is pure genious. Once I get my latest project done - that being a compiled list of venders broken down by parts etc. I'm planning on starting the work on my DM F3 Delta 3. So you can be assured once I get to the point of needing the hardware for my 9 boosters, your the man.

Congrats on the 20 year anniversary, and glad to have one of the pioneers of booster Rocketry as a regular here.

I envy you and these other folks whom live near a rocketry club, I'm all alone..lol

Cheers and Happy New Year,

Originally posted by flying_silverad
Hi Ray! Sounds like you have some pretty cool pics. You'll see that a lot of us live for pictures and now that your here...looks like we could be seeing some really cool aerial shots! Don't be shy about sharing your tech stuff on how you make all those cameras work and come back in one piece! It's one of my ambitions to get a rocket camera going at some point (project number 1233234-123 B) Yea...lots to do. Anyway, welcome aboard!
JR:D

Thanks. As a matter of fact, I have a section on my site which has photos, drawings and tips for camera payload construction. Also have some info about staging, plans for a cheap and simple launch pad, and a few other things. And of course, I'm always happy to help out with advice or whatever in the forums.

Welcome back, I saw an article about you in a rocketry magazine a coupler years ago (dont remember which one) very cool rockets and awesome pics.

Welcome Ray!

Since you've lurked here from time to time, you already know that this is a very active forum. Great folks and a whole lotta fun.

I, like many, have admired your work for a while. It will be interesting to see what you can contribute to the forum. You will be amazed at what you can *learn* from this forum :)

jim

Originally posted by Ryan S.
Welcome back, I saw an article about you in a rocketry magazine a coupler years ago (dont remember which one) very cool rockets and awesome pics.

There was an entire issue of High Power Rocketry published about 12 years ago dedicated to aerial photography. Ray had a couple of interesting articles in that one. I think I still have it somewhere...

Welcome Ray!!

Somehow I discovered Ray's site a year or so ago and have perused most of his pictures. For those of you that haven't, Ray's site is a must!! Ray's pictures are awesome!!! It's hard to believe the quality of the pictures. I think my favorite is when Ray's rocket shot a little ahead of a Patriot and got a pic of it coming up at his rocket. Way cool.

Glad to have you aboard Ray.

bmhiii

Originally posted by Ray Dunakin
Thanks. As a matter of fact, I have a section on my site which has photos, drawings and tips for camera payload construction. Also have some info about staging, plans for a cheap and simple launch pad, and a few other things. And of course, I'm always happy to help out with advice or whatever in the forums.

Greetings Ray!

I recall meeting you back on wildrocketry.com when they had forums. The timing was perfect as I had been bitten by the onboard photography bug.

I personally duplicated Ray's design based on the figures and drawings on his website and experienced much success. Although I couldn't afford to use an Olympus camera, I substituted it with a smaller Kodak that cost me about $26 which did the trick just fine. My camera pod saw about 8-10 flights before finally retiring high up on a Florida tree located in a swampy area.

Ray, if ever you locate a suitable replacement for the Cirrus CS30BB micro servo, please let me know as I want to build another payload. (I miss doing onboard photos!)

Thanks for the introduction. Many will benefit from your experience and knowledge. Heck, I think we ALL love your work!

I am glad you are here....... It's easier to pick your brain about my booster project!!!!:D

(I know Ray was already a member here (as of 1-09-03) but in an email the other day "I" invited him to join us)

Back