Introducing the Drill Bit.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Threemorewishes

Reaction score
With a tip of the hat to Mr. Applewhite's genius....it all started with my sweetie grabbing a big piece of half inch thick foam board out of the recycling room in our condo. I had it storage for some time and when my spool rocket died due to vectored thrust from a G69 Skid, I started on this idea.

It comes out to 1 pound 3 ounces ready to go without motor. I set up the shock cord hard point anchor high enough up so it can take a 4 grain 38mm case like the spool did. The G10 motor tube is recycled from the spool rocket.

The panels are glued together using white glue but the remainder of the rocket is assembled with epoxy and then covered in aluminum duct tape. I seem to be on a roll using this stuff on my rockets:). I guess they will all get some until my stash is diminished.

The parachute sticking out the top is a bit big and will be replaced with a 24 inch diameter chute.

Now all I need is nice weather and a motor.

Thanks for looking.

Threemorewishes

The basic pieces going together.

The hot and smoky end.

The drill bit looking skirt.

The finished rocket.

Last edited:
Ya might get Mr. Applewhite's undies in a bunch if you try passing that off as your own design!
Give credit where it's due.

There were never any intentions of claiming someone’s genius for my own. So to make sure the collective undies don’t get bunched I fixed it for you.

Thanks. I just know Art's (justifiably) touchy about his designs being his. I love the (free) priority stealth, and now that the 38 and 54mm stealths are back, I might buy a 38. Quickest turnaround from launch to next launch of any rocket I've ever flown!
-Ken

That is one draw back to large saucers - recovery within the limit of the rules. Once you go to 75 mm motors, you have to use a parachute. This type of design solves this.

That is one draw back to large saucers - recovery within the limit of the rules. Once you go to 75 mm motors, you have to use a parachute. This type of design solves this.
You would be surprised what you can put a 75 mm motor in and have it recover safely. It is really just a matter of high frontal area vs. weight.
For example this 36 inch Delta Flying Saucer was first flown on a 75 mm Loki L780 and then a M1200 motor the same day.
100_1126.jpg
[video=youtube;TOipW7jxRVc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOipW7jxRVc[/video]
the key is not to overbuild to the point that it becomes too heavy.

This 75 mm Stealth got Bob Finch his NAR L3 certification at NARAM 52 in 2010.
bobfinchl32.jpg
Art Applewhite
artrocs.us

You would be surprised what you can put a 75 mm motor in and have it recover safely. It is really just a matter of high frontal area vs. weight.
For example this 36 inch Delta Flying Saucer was first flown on a 75 mm Loki L780 and then a M1200 motor the same day.
View attachment 160956
[video=youtube;TOipW7jxRVc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOipW7jxRVc[/video]
the key is not to overbuild to the point that it becomes too heavy.

This 75 mm Stealth got Bob Finch his NAR L3 certification at NARAM 52 in 2010.
View attachment 160957
Art Applewhite
artrocs.us

The video you attaches is private and we can't watch it.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

"With a tip of the hat to Mr. Applewhite's genius...."

Thank you for the acknowledgement. There have been several people who have used my free Priority Stealth to get their Level 1 certification using a parachute stuffed into at tube at the top of the motor.
Here's Bob Finch from 2008
bobfinchl1b.jpg
Art Applewhite
artrocs.us

Attachments

• denismeans.jpg
    denismeans.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 126
The Drill Bit has flown...twice!

The first flight was on a G126 White Thunder. It was a perfectly straight flight with high rotation speeds and a text book landing (first flight of video).

The second flight on a G106 Skidmark (1:27 into video) was great on the up portion but not so much on the down portion. My fault, as I did not wrap the recovery train properly and caused the parachute to get tangled. The damage was minor and the Drill Bit will be ready to fly again very soon.

Enjoy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vh4FhRxuTvw

Thanks for taking the video JF!

Thanks for looking.

Threemorewishes

Last edited:
Very nice may have to build on , would like one of the saucers but want one in 38mm

Back